Dino Beef Ribs ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Yabba Dabba Doooooo!!!

I have been wanting to this for some time. I am just too damn cheap! These ribs came from "JIm Bob" who was eating grass last week. I got them form a gourmet butcher shop in Baton Rouge. They raise, butcher and process all their own farm raised Beef, Berkshires, turkeys and chickens.

https://www.iverstinefarms.com/

I got the entire short rib.

IMG_9231.JPG

IMG_9233.JPG

I massaged in some Lea & Perrins then freely rubbed in kosher salt, cracked black and Kansas City Steak Seasoning (Thanks B.)

IMG_9242.JPG

A learning experience. Next time I get a short rack (three ribs off the big end) and get them cut in half. But I have been thinking about doing this for so long I just couldn't stand it, give me all dem dere ribs in one piece and lets see if I can't turn the car over on its side! LOL

Thinking back I didn't form a pellicle and you can see that fat cap!

IMG_9248.JPG

2 hours into the smoke, Sorry thats smoked at 275 for the first hour, 250 for the second hour using apple and mesquite.

IMG_9254.JPG

After 4 more hours at a happy 220. Think I'll bag and tag it.

IMG_9250.JPG

Butter, secret sauce and that's a sliced up honey crisp apple! I will roll it up with the bone side down, not the meat. I wanted to steam the meat tender, but not boil the meat and lose the bark.

I put it back in the smoker, lowered the temp to 200 for 2 hours. Pulled it and let it rest for 45 mins.

IMG_9255.JPG

That bone with only a slight resistance pulled right!

Looks at that drawback!

IMG_9256.JPG

I have too many pictures, its all to pick one that shows the juice!

IMG_9259.JPG

Its almost in a fluid state! My heart couldn't stand this every day, but every once in a while, make sure you have bread!!

IMG_9258.JPG

Just look at that! It was worth every cent, make that every dollar! LOL

IMG_9261.JPG

That is the last rib...... I didn't show the Fresh Green beans with new potatoes and tasso, nor the cucumber salad, nor the tasso/garlic creamed spinach.

All I wanted was a rib, slice of onion and a couple slices of white bread.

I started early this AM so it would be ready for lunch. So now its a cold Shinerbock, and the ballgame.

BTW I monitored the box temp, but never probed the meat. It was all about low and slow, the old way.

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday.

Those are the ribs off the beef shoulder, also known as cross ribs:

beef chuck cross ribs.jpg

They are usually 3 to 5 long ribs. You can cut them in half or in thirds for 'short' ribs.

Also, you can garner 'short ribs' from the plate, brisket, rib roast too.

fore rib side w desc.jpg

The shoulder ribs are the leanest of all of them.

Those are the ribs off the beef shoulder, also known as cross ribs:

View attachment 378699
They are usually 3 to 5 long ribs. You can cut them in half or in thirds for 'short' ribs.

Also, you can garner 'short ribs' from the plate, brisket, rib roast too.

View attachment 378700
The shoulder ribs are the leanest of all of them.

They were delicious! You've never seen so much rendered fat. Well I hadn't anyway, it was amazing.

Wow Kevin!!
Those are some of the meatiest ribs I have ever seen!
You never see stuff like that down here!
Al

Great looking ribs there Foamy. Going to try my hand at some prime rib ribs today had a rack given to me by Amish butcher at local market.

Warren

Wow Kevin!!
Those are some of the meatiest ribs I have ever seen!
You never see stuff like that down here!
Al

Al, I have known about this new gourmet butcher shop for 2 years. There is about 7 specialty butcher shops in Baton Rouge, but none that have the full service.

The owner was a senior at LSU in finance with a 4.0, quit midterm and spent 6 months in the NE somewhere and came home with registered heritage Berkshire breeders. He bought a farm upon return North of Baton Rouge, got married and went to work. That was 10 years ago. Since he's bought all the farms around the original and now has his own beef, turkeys and chickens as well as the pork. He made the BR who's who and all the papers and magazines ran his story. He was the first here to use animal field rotation to keep both his fields and animals in the best shape possible. Click on the link above to see his company.

I have been wanting to do this for a long time, but sadly I have turned into my father. Lets call it frugal. The guy knows what he's got and there are enough out there to make a damn good living! The keep the meat counter full and a whole slaughtered hanging in the cooler. And the butcher, will come in and cut meat 7 days a week.

You get what you pay for, but you do pay for it. I'll be back, but not this month.....LOL

BTW look at that first picture of the ribs on the tray. I have no idea where all that meat blossomed from....LOL

Great looking ribs there Foamy. Going to try my hand at some prime rib ribs today had a rack given to me by Amish butcher at local market.

Warren

Thank you Warren

The one thing that really surprized me was the amount of rendered fat that was in them.... I would slice a rib and it would take 30 seconds for the juices to quit streaming out. I wish I had thought to use the video. I am still really amazed by it.

Good luck with those ribs, you'll have the Bear drooling, they are his favorites! I really like those suckers too!

Al, I have known about this new gourmet butcher shop for 2 years. There is about 7 specialty butcher shops in Baton Rouge, but none that have the full service.

The owner was a senior at LSU in finance with a 4.0, quit midterm and spent 6 months in the NE somewhere and came home with registered heritage Berkshire breeders. He bought a farm upon return North of Baton Rouge, got married and went to work. That was 10 years ago. Since he's bought all the farms around the original and now has his own beef, turkeys and chickens as well as the pork. He made the BR who's who and all the papers and magazines ran his story. He was the first here to use animal field rotation to keep both his fields and animals in the best shape possible. Click on the link above to see his company.

I have been wanting to do this for a long time, but sadly I have turned into my father. Lets call it frugal. The guy knows what he's got and there are enough out there to make a damn good living! The keep the meat counter full and a whole slaughtered hanging in the cooler. And the butcher, will come in and cut meat 7 days a week.

You get what you pay for, but you do pay for it. I'll be back, but not this month.....LOL

BTW look at that first picture of the ribs on the tray. I have no idea where all that meat blossomed from....LOL

That is a really cool story!
Your so lucky!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky