Couple T-Bones On The Kettle !!

Discussion in 'Beef' started by waterinholebrew, Jun 18, 2016.

1. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hey all, decided to do a couple T-Bones on the kettle last nite ! Wanted more of a smokey taste on em, so fired up the AMNPS with some Pitmaster blend dust !

While the AMNPS was getting ready, seasoned the steaks up with a little Tatonka Dust !

Put the steaks in the kettle to cold smoke for little over an hour !

After the cold smoke, set up the vortex for a sear !

Here's a few plated pics, had some beans & rice with the steaks !

It was a tasty meal, thanks for lookin all !

sauced, bdskelly, GaryHibbert and 6 others like this.
  2. redheelerdog

redheelerdog Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Man alive, you got me going now! - I want a T-bone!

3. waterinholebrew

Thanks ! Appreciate the nice words & point !

4. Looks good, done just the way I like my stakes done.
    Question: I have been thinking of doing a reverse sear, do you know if it makes the meat any more tender?
    I have been rubing them, letting them get happy in the refrigerator over night or longer, then I put them on a smoking hot grill at 700 degrees. 4 min on one side 3 on the other side and they are med rear juicy snd tasty but could be more tender. I'm grilling Rib Eyes. Porterhouse sometimes but mostly Rib Eyes.
    Randy,

5. waterinholebrew

Thanks Randy ! In my experience with doing the RS, it doesn't make the meat any more tender ! The RS is more for getting some smoke taste on the steak ! Hope that makes sense ! As far as your steaks not being as tender as you'd like, what grade of beef ya buying ? The grades are prime, choice & select ! It may be the grade, I also rest my steaks for bout 5 minutes or so before eating them !

Hope any of this helps & if ya have any other questions or I wasn't specific enough... just ask !

6. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yummy lookin steaks.

Bet they were tasty with the extra smoke on them.

7. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great looking steaks,but you got hosed on the tenderloin side! :biggrin:

8. waterinholebrew

Thanks Adam, the extra smoke really made these tasty !

9. waterinholebrew

Thanks man, yea not a lot of meat on the other side there... But they were still pretty good !

Thanks for the point, appreciate it !

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  10. Mostly I get th at Sam's 3 In a package and they are choice. Once in a while I go to the butcher for prime but at half again the price of choice I don't think they are that much better. Maybe I just haven't gotten a good one?
    What you said about RS makes sense. And I do let them rest a least 5 min. They are not bad, in fact everyone raves about them I just think they could be more tender.

Randy,

11. I just read in the Sunday paper about how to grill the perfect Rib Eye and it says just the opposite of what we do this person does the reverse ear

12. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Hey Justin.  NICE t-bones.  I really like the thought of cold smoking them for an hour first--steaks cook so fast, they never get much smoke flavor.  You can almost see the juices dripping out of those steaks.

[​IMG]

Gary

13. I give up, things just take off on this phone when I try to make corrections. That word was an attempt at RS followed by flipping the stake often so it gets done evenly and don't let it rest because it continues cooking, oh! And don't let it come to room temp before grilling because it takes smoke better cold.
    Maybe it works but I like the grill marks on my stake and out way gets them done fast. So I'm with you. But thought you would find this method amusing.

14. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Good stuff Justin!

I have to get a vortex!

The steaks look delicious!

Points!

Al

15. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Justin sorry for being late,working on replacing windows its kicken my old bones.That looks fantastic Points for sure 

Richie

[​IMG]

16. waterinholebrew

Randy, we are always our own worse critic ! It doesn't matter what I cook, others may say how good it is... but I'm always thinkin ! "Yea, it's not bad but... maybe it could be better if I done this or that a bit different !" So, I know where your coming from !

No worries man, I totally understand ! I hit submit or hit the wrong button half the time myself ! :biggrin: I really to be honest don't know if flipping a couple times or multiple times would make a difference... I've always been just a minimal flipper ! I do agree with the room temp thing, I go from fridge to smoker !

Thanks again for dropping a line !

17. waterinholebrew

Hey Gary, yea we really like the reverse sear on steaks ! Appreciate ya dropping a line & thanks for the point !

18. waterinholebrew

Hey Al, thanks for the nice words & point... much appreciated ! I think you'd really like the vortex, it's versatile & pretty conservative on KBB !

19. waterinholebrew

Hey Richie, your never late my friend ! Thanks for the kind words & point, much appreciated ! Hope the rest of your project goes smooth for ya, I know that kinda stuff can be a pain !

20. bdskelly

bdskelly Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice Ts brother! point  B