Let's Take a Ride on the Wayback Machine to 1959 ~ Beef Steaks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
When I was a little boy in the '60s, steaks were very different. The two of these examples I remember the most were full sized bone-in round steaks... and T-bones that always had the 'tail'.
sUhGTAk.jpg

Always been a fan of the burn down the house porterhouse. Smoked the whole house up,
Wife makes me do them outside now.

When ever we had a BBQ when we were kids also in the 60's. We had hot dogs and burgers .
But Dad always had the round steak for him , mom and their friends. It was always round.
It was the good economical steak of the day, so dad told me later on.

And the bone from these were for our boy scout slide on our neckerchief. Awww the good old days

David

Reactions: JLeonard
I remember them all. The tail on the T-bones/porterhouses was my favorite part. Mom always got the tenderloin. But, when we had steak, the sirloin is what we had most of the time. Haven't seen a bone-in sirloin or full cut round in many, many years.

I love the way back machine. We had butchers then too, not just box cutters.
Or meat stockers...

Reactions: thirdeye
Pops (RIP) will take ya there too... Scroll down for prices...

Don't forget the budget friendly chuck steak! We didn't have a lot of money growing up, so whenever Dad fired up the grill (usually with gasoline) it was a chuck, the least expensive steak at Jones' Market in Fresno. CA.

Stores around here always had "breakfast steaks". Blanket term for just about anything thin chop I think. I would say barely 3/4" thick. In laws were NUTS for them and had them in weekly rotation usually Sunday and we got an invited frequently when we first got married. MIL dusted them with Lawry's, browned lightly in skillet, and topped with mushrooms, chopped onion, in butter. Maybe not steaks in the real sense but TASTY as heck. Sides were almost always hash browns and peas. Soon as dinner was over, coffee and dessert emerged. I was born in 1972 but I always felt that meal had 50's vibe. When I start getting sides of beef I plan to get these made up.

I remember the good ole days too... you know the one when I could eat a full porterhouse and sides, and maybe some seconds as well!
In our younger years the store had what they called butter steaks, not real big and maybe 3/4 inch thick... man were they good cooked to medium rare!

Ryan

When ever we had a BBQ when we were kids also in the 60's. We had hot dogs and burgers .
But Dad always had the round steak for him , mom and their friends. It was always round.
It was the good economical steak of the day, so dad told me later on.

And the bone from these were for our boy scout slide on our neckerchief. Awww the good old days

David
My family raised cattle and always had the round steaks cut just like the photo.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
My family raised cattle and always had the round steaks cut just like the photo.

Mom's Dad and her brothers had a Dairy farm, and that is where I spent every summer from about 8 - 13, than things changed when mom passed .

But the picture is what I think I remember dad throwing on his 3 legged BBQ, after like said above , he lit it with lighter fluid or gas , what ever was handy.

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning. ha ha

David

When my family grilled round steaks, they generally used Adolph's Meat Tenderizer. Here is an ad from the '50s and low and behold, they're using it on a round steak.
4JdAuS2.jpg

Jeez the good old days. What happened to them?

Jim

The Fractured Fairy Tales got booted off the air in the early 70's by Good Morning America. Ah yes, the crying child in me remembers it well. :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Given the state of things, I think I would still want the Fractured Fairy Tales back over Good Morning America. :emoji_wink::emoji_laughing:

JC :emoji_cat:

The Fractured Fairy Tales got booted off the air in the early 70's by Good Morning America. Ah yes, the crying child in me remembers it well. :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Given the state of things, I think I would still want the Fractured Fairy Tales back over Good Morning America. :emoji_wink::emoji_laughing:

JC :emoji_cat:
Amen JC!

Jim

Chuck, round steak, or sirloin; whatever was cheapest by my mom.
My dad worked for RCA in the 60's, and I think he won "Salesman of the month", or something. He got a styrofoam cooler full of frozen sirloins. Pretty sure they weren't graded, though. Tough as leather, as I recall. That Adolph's meat tenderizer came in handy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky