Country-Style Breakfast Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pops6927

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
Made another batch of breakfast sausage, wanted to share with the newer members the process if they're hesitant.

1st, the equipment I used: Grinder, knives, cutting gloves, sanitary gloves, fry pan for sampling and my apron!
012.JPG

2nd, weighed lug for tare:
004.JPG

filled up a cup to zero so I have a tare duplicate to reset tare when the bucket is full:

005.JPG

Bought two butt pack at Sam's, good price!
003.JPG

Cut up pork into chunks and weighed, set aside 8lbs. for breakfast sausage and 7.5 lbs. for sweet sausage - here's the breakfast sausage meat:
006.JPG

Last edited:
We're waiting for the rest of the post. Don't forget to post the recipe, Pops.

Ran out of seasoning, so I had to make more, here's the ingredients:

Salt, 8 oz.
007.JPG

Black Pepper, 2 oz.
008.JPG

Ground Sage, 1 oz.
009.JPG

mixed in a ziploc, measured out 4 oz. seasoning for 8 lbs. of meat (½ oz. per lb. of meat):
011.JPG

Mixed with meat:
013.JPG

Ground twice with fine plate:
014.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: ba cyclone
Patties made onto cookie sheet lined with double sheets of wax paper sprayed with light coating of olive oil, made 41 patties, about 5 per lb:
017.JPG

and the best part, testing!
015.JPG

You can use virtually any grinder to make breakfast sausage, don't need a stuffer, and can make it with homemade seasonings. For any meat processing you need a good scale, this one shown can weigh from oz. to grams to 55 lbs. and is invaluable. It's one of the cheapest, easiest sausages to make and tastes sooo good!

Last edited:
BTW, put the sheet into the freezer overnight, will separate and put into ziplocs, then take out as many as needed (usually 3) for breakfast. They stay nice and loose once frozen like that and are easy to take out. Unthaw them on defrost cycle in the microwave and fry 'em up (or if you don't like them crisp, bake in the oven)! Hope this encourages others to join into the sausage making enterprise, it's really easy to do!

Reactions: willy2763
Looks great thanks for sharing
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

018.JPG
No links, I've made them before but my wife prefers the patties so patties it is! I personally prefer the links but harmony is more important! lol!
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
We made 10 lbs of your sausage today, if I wasn't laid off I would be buying a electric mixer, anyways, I see in your post you added the seasoning to the cubes of meat before grinding, I never noticed that when I copied your seasoning recipe and we grinded twice and the the wife mixed in the seasoning, the taste was excellent, we used your seasoning but we added 1.5 oz. onion salt to the seasoning and still did 1/2 oz. per lb

Also smoked two brisket flats, did two whole briskets last weekend for a pot luck party and thought there would be leftovers, only 1 cup left over so we had to smoke some more for us

And we bought some fresh turkey sweet italian sausage and smoked them, should have been higher temp maybe, had them in with briskets, I think the casing might be better at higher temp

Also smoked 8 boneless pork chops, if your going to smoke you might as well fill the smoker, and now our freezer
e7e4766a_vbattach20668.jpg

a5f980ec_vbattach20667.jpg

b3e65d3a_vbattach20666.jpg

Hey Pops - as I said in another thread, I'm using your seasoning as the base for my breakfast sausage experiments tonight. I never thought of weighing the ingredients before but I think I can handle it.

I'm going to do one batch with just your seasoning. Then test it.

I will do another batch adding an equal amount of marjoram as the sage as well as some of my homemade garlic powder. Then test it.

I will do a third batch adding a little thyme, crushed red pepper and anything else I think it needs. We like our food to taste strong so I usually have to modify recipes to taste. 

Yes - I'm doing this with a Q-View post in mind.

Wish me luck and thanks so much for heading me in the right direction.

David

(Change of plans - will be foodsperimenting tomorrow.)

Last edited:
I've found weighing ALL ingredients the surest way to get good results.

Thanks for posting this simple recipe! That's the beauty of good breakfast sausage—no mystery ingredients nor any advanced culinary training to crank out some good eats! 

Additionally, one could add a bit of sugar (to help balance the saltiness) or maple syrup— and/or some pepper flakes for heat.

—Kevin

I couldn't agree more.

Some of the simpler recipes are much closer to what some of us old guys grew up with out in the country.

Good luck and good smoking.

These look great Pops, and pretty darn simple too! I've been thinking of trying some breakfast sausage. Can you use the collagen casings to stuff these or not?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky