Country-Style Breakfast Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
chevy, you can use rubbed sage but because its density is lighter than ground sage you will need to use 2 1/2 times the amount of rubbed sage to equal ground sage. Pops recipe calls for 1 ounce of ground sage so you will need to use 2 1/2 ounces of rubbed sage.

I would start with 1 1/2 ounces of rubbed sage, mix it well and fry a small piece and taste it. If it needs more sage then add more, mix and test again. Some folks really like the taste of sage and others don't so this way you can adjust the taste to suit your taste buds.

chevy, you can use rubbed sage but because its density is lighter than ground sage you will need to use 2 1/2 times the amount of rubbed sage to equal ground sage. Pops recipe calls for 1 ounce of ground sage so you will need to use 2 1/2 ounces of rubbed sage.

I would start with 1 1/2 ounces of rubbed sage, mix it well and fry a small piece and taste it. If it needs more sage then add more, mix and test again. Some folks really like the taste of sage and others don't so this way you can adjust the taste to suit your taste buds.
Hum .... so a pound of lead weighs more than a pound of feathers ?????

Reactions: JC in GB
No- a pound of feathers (rubbed sage) has more volume than a pound of lead (ground sage). That is why I suggested that chevy start out with only part of the 2 1/2 ounces (1 1/2 ounces) and adjust from there.

Since this is Pops recipe that chevy is using-maybe Pops could weigh in with his 2¢.

What the heck was I thinking. . . I really shouldn't be answering questions like this while dealing with a 2 day migraine. IF you are using scales then an ounce of rubbed sage is equal to ground sage. If you are using dry measurements such as teaspoon, tablespoon, ect, then you would need to use the 2 1/2 rule. 2 1/2 teaspoons of rubbed sage is equal to 1 teasspoon of ground sage.

I apologize for any confusion my first answer may have caused.

This is Pop's recipe, and it's very good.  We have made it twice.  The second time we modified if by adding some more sage (mostly because we didn't have ground sage, only rubbed, and didn't take into account the difference).  We have since added some more heat and a little more salt.  This is a very good recipe just as it is.  It seems like almost everyone on here follows someone elses recipe to start with then midifies it to suit their own taste.  That's the part I like best about this site.   And it's probally the best part about making your own stuff, it gives that flexibility that can't get wit store bought.  I'm very glad to have found this site and all the helpful people on here.

I just made 21 pounds of this I adjusted it just a tad.

7.5 oz salt will go less next time

2 oz sage

2.3 oz fresh ground peper

.5 oz Onion powder

.5 Oz Garlic powder

.3 oz crushed red peppers which a ran through grinder to powder it

This is probably the best sausage I have ever had and will tweak it a little more next batch.

Thanks to Pops for all his contributions and the stories with the history behind them, I explained this to my kids as I was making it. I am sure this will be a fav for years in our home.

Adam

No looking I can see I screwed up and doubled the sage lol

Last edited:

I just made 21 pounds of this I adjusted it just a tad.

7.5 oz salt will go less next time

2.3 oz fresh ground peper

.5 oz Onion powder

.5 Oz Garlic powder

.3 oz crushed red peppers which a ran through grinder to powder it

This is probably the best sausage I have ever had and will tweak it a little more next batch.

Thanks to Pops for all his contributions and the stories with the history behind them, I explained this to my kids as I was making it. I am sure this will be a fav for years in our home.

Adam
Noticed you did not use any sage.

I did my first batch of Breakfast Sausage over the holidays and something went wrong. I used a pork shoulder. I de-boned and cubed the meat, all the while trying to keep around a 30-40% fat content percentage.

Problem is when I ran it through the grinder (cheapo Eastman Outdoors Grinder...not sure if that's the issue). The grinder gummed up. Mostly on the ligaments, but on some of the fat too. The grinder couldn't cut that stuff up.

So I had to trim all that stuff off to get the grinder to function....and that meant a really lean product. That and having WAY too much fennel made for a far inferior sausage.

Thoughts??

Mike

don't know if you partially froze the meat or not after cubing... but it does grind the fat and such much better if it's almost frozen when grinding... try that next time and see if it's not better....

I don't believe there is any fennel in the ingredients list

Last edited:
Thanks JD. Yeah sorry, I used a breakfast sausage recipe from Chef John from his Foodwishes blog. Good stuff, but something happened with the amount of fennel when I up-converted for the amount of shoulder I had.

Mike

I did my first batch of Breakfast Sausage over the holidays and something went wrong. I used a pork shoulder. I de-boned and cubed the meat, all the while trying to keep around a 30-40% fat content percentage.

Problem is when I ran it through the grinder (cheapo Eastman Outdoors Grinder...not sure if that's the issue). The grinder gummed up. Mostly on the ligaments, but on some of the fat too. The grinder couldn't cut that stuff up.

So I had to trim all that stuff off to get the grinder to function....and that meant a really lean product. That and having WAY too much fennel made for a far inferior sausage.

Thoughts??

Mike

Thanks Palladini, will do. I'm no butcher but I'll do my best. Problem is that the wife got a sausage seasoning packet for 25 lbs worth of protein! Don't want to mess that day up!

And now that I think about it a bit, I'll get the technique down for a solid sausage before using that package. I guess I could halve the package but then that would require math. ;-)

Do you partially freeze as well?

Thanks Palladini, will do. I'm no butcher but I'll do my best. Problem is that the wife got a sausage seasoning packet for 25 lbs worth of protein! Don't want to mess that day up!

And now that I think about it a bit, I'll get the technique down for a solid sausage before using that package. I guess I could halve the package but then that would require math. ;-)

Do you partially freeze as well?
Yep, in my big floor freezer for about 2 hours, then I get to cutting, I take about 2 hours to cut up a 13 lb roast to the bone into small enough chunks for my food grinder.  When you cut the meat, this is not hard, all that shiny side of the meat, just cut it off the chunk.  Like I said above, doing this, you might loose some, but if you have dog and a microwave, these little scraps find a user.

25 lbs of sausage, is good days work, especially for one person.  That would be 2 full legs and a good sized roast also to cut up to do all at once.

And once cut up, depending on the next step, either into a fridge or freezer it goes between processes.  I make sure the meat never gets to 40 degrees F in any step of the sausage making process.

I would suggest to you, go buy, rent or steal, whatever it takes, get a digital scale that weighs in grams, ounces and pounds, this makes that math much easier to figure out.  A god calculator helps a lot also.

Last edited:
Just wanted to drop by and say that i used this recipe to make my first batch of sausage and following this little tutorial it turned out GREAT!  Thanks Pops.

Happy Smoking

Dave

Hi Pop

Thanks for the recipe and time taken to help others. I'm not new to smoking, but I'm new to this forum. I'm really looking forward to others such as yourself to guide me on me future smokings.

Looks good and thanks for sharing but I have a question about your butt. When did Canada become part of the United States?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky