Country-Style Breakfast Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Okay - I'm finally finished. I ended up testing in 1lb increments so the scale for the seasoning was useless. That said, I made Pops seasoning to the letter (with the scale). It had a good sage flavor but was too salty for us. Based on what I learned, I did 3 more lbs a little differently and thanks to Pops and y'all, I think I have my recipe. I will work on a q-view post to help describe the journey. 

Thanks to all!

aad9f10d_IMG_3416fxSMF.jpg

Last edited:
I just made this recipe and will be doing a post of it. However, I had to give my sincere thanks to Pop's for posting this recipe and the tutorial. This will be my base recipe for sausage from now on.

bravo.png

Disco

You could hot smoke (220 to 250 deg) patties without cure.

For cold smoke you will need cure and that will change the flavor profile.

Good luck and good smoking.

LOL, I didn't know Canadians knew what grits were.  You are right they would go good with eggs and breakfast sausage.  I have made breakfast sausage twice with Pop's recipe, it's very good.  My next breakfast sausage will be the Tennesee breakfast sausage.  I have everything I need to make it except the pork.  Getting that today.

LOL, I didn't know Canadians knew what grits were.  You are right they would go good with eggs and breakfast sausage.  I have made breakfast sausage twice with Pop's recipe, it's very good.  My next breakfast sausage will be the Tennesee breakfast sausage.  I have everything I need to make it except the pork.  Getting that today.
I guess I am one lucky Canadian know what they are and loving them.  I grew up on Tobacco farm, in the early 60s, when I was just a young lad, my dad brought up some migrant workers from the Georgia I do believe and they brought grits with them.  In those days, the hired help ate their meals with us and the rest is History, as they say.  Then a good 30 years of driving truck and like I say, get a map of North America out, put it on a wall, blindfold yourself, get a dart, throw it at the map, where it lands, I have been there, probably more than once.

Last edited:
Thanks much for the tutorial, Pops! I just got done with my first batch, pics to follow. I used your measurements for a baseline and tweaked to my preference;

1 oz sage
2 oz coarse black pepper
8 oz fine medeterranian sea salt(no iodine)
2 tsp cayenne pepper
Dry ingredients mixed, I used the .5 oz/lb ratio you recommended.

4 cloves fresh garlic(minced)

I used an 8lb boston butt, cut down seasoned and par frozen, one pass thru my kitchen aid with the coarse plate in.

Last edited:
Pops

We have made your sausage twice, we both love it.  The first time we made it we used your recipe without modification.  But I like to play with my food.  We made two pounds using your recipe with some red peppers flakes to kick up the heat.  Next was two pounds with some added garlic powder, we used too much.  I noticed yours looks like you used the fine grinder plate.  Going to try that on the next batch, so far we have only used the course plate.  We both like the tasted of your recipe and appreciate you posting it.  Home made is so much better than store bought.  I would like to make some links, but have to figure out how to work those sheep casing first.

Hey Jimmy 
You lost me just a little bit. what is "par frozen"?? Sorry for having to ask these "obvious" questions.  LOL
Gary

Kinda the opposite of par boiled, par boil = bring to boiling point and take off...
Par frozen, brought to freezing temp or close then removed, firm but not solid.

I guess I invented it since you can wiki parboil or par bake, but par frozen gets you nothing.

Last edited:
Hey Jimmy

Thanks for the info on par frozen.  Now---the next obvious question.  Why would you par freeze something.  I'm the first to admit, I'm a cook but simply don't have the "vision" to be a chef--much as I would like to be.  IPlain and simple, I just can't visualise.  Some things are simply not to be  LOL

Gary

Gary-I think in Jimmy's case he's partially freezing the sausage log so when he slices the log in to patties, they maintain their round shape without flattening out.

I do the par-freeze thing with brats. Link them up-par freeze them to get them firm and vac seal them without having to worry about ending up with flat brats.

YMMV :biggrin:

I'd like to make this but I have rubbed sage not ground.....how would I change the measurement?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky