• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Costco - Boneless center cut pork shoulder roast

vaalpens

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 29, 2019
I had a couple of these shoulder roasts in the freezer, about 3.5lb each and was looking for a way to smoke them. I did not want to do a pulled pork smoke, so I decided to try a sliced pork smoke. After some research I decided to go with a 250 degree smoke up to an IT of 175. I also wanted to try a different rub, so I purchased Jeff's rub recipe, and decided to use the original rub for this smoke. Since this was something new, I also decided to add a spritz (vineger and hot sauce mixture) to it and use my A-MAZE-N AMNTS pellet tube. The smoker I used was my Daniel Boone GMG.

The roast was rubbed down the previous night with mustard and then coated with Jeff's original rub.
I then wrapped the roast in plastic wrap and placed it in the fridge overnight.

The GMG was set to 250 and the AMNTS place in the back of the smoker.
I used my new IRF-4S thermometer, and used 2 probes in the roast.
After 2 hours the IT was 138(L)/154(R), so I decided to rotate the roast 180 degrees, and move it a little bit to the left since the right was running a little bit hotter.
At the 2 hour mark I also spritzed the roast since it was going to go uncovered for the duration.
At the 4 hour 30 mark, the IT was reading 177(L)/175(R), at which time I took the roast out of the smoker.
After about 30 minutes of rest I sliced a few pieces since it was still too early to eat. The shoulder had a very nice bark and was very moist inside. The rub had a very nice taste to it, with a little bit of spiciness to it. Could be the combination rub/spritz.

Overall I think this smoke was a success and both my wife and I enjoyed the taste. I will definitely make this again.

Following are a few pictures:
IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0648.JPG

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Looks good. Jeff’s rub is delicious. I’d highly recommend his bbq sauce recipe too.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.