Costco - Boneless center cut pork shoulder roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vaalpens

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 29, 2019
Southeast, WA
I had a couple of these shoulder roasts in the freezer, about 3.5lb each and was looking for a way to smoke them. I did not want to do a pulled pork smoke, so I decided to try a sliced pork smoke. After some research I decided to go with a 250 degree smoke up to an IT of 175. I also wanted to try a different rub, so I purchased Jeff's rub recipe, and decided to use the original rub for this smoke. Since this was something new, I also decided to add a spritz (vineger and hot sauce mixture) to it and use my A-MAZE-N AMNTS pellet tube. The smoker I used was my Daniel Boone GMG.

The roast was rubbed down the previous night with mustard and then coated with Jeff's original rub.
I then wrapped the roast in plastic wrap and placed it in the fridge overnight.

The GMG was set to 250 and the AMNTS place in the back of the smoker.
I used my new IRF-4S thermometer, and used 2 probes in the roast.
After 2 hours the IT was 138(L)/154(R), so I decided to rotate the roast 180 degrees, and move it a little bit to the left since the right was running a little bit hotter.
At the 2 hour mark I also spritzed the roast since it was going to go uncovered for the duration.
At the 4 hour 30 mark, the IT was reading 177(L)/175(R), at which time I took the roast out of the smoker.
After about 30 minutes of rest I sliced a few pieces since it was still too early to eat. The shoulder had a very nice bark and was very moist inside. The rub had a very nice taste to it, with a little bit of spiciness to it. Could be the combination rub/spritz.

Overall I think this smoke was a success and both my wife and I enjoyed the taste. I will definitely make this again.

Following are a few pictures:
IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0648.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky