corned beef questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redneckviddles

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 2, 2019
I have two of those bagged corned beef briskets that are always on sale after St. Pats day in the freezer. I have the cooking process in mind to smoke for 4-5 hrs at 200 then SV for 30 hrs like another member on here did.

My question is about the prep; should i just soak/ rinse in cold water to rinse the excess salt off the bagged meat or should i wet brine it a few days in spices, or dry brine a few days or what? Thanks

Corned beef is a "salt cured" product, which means it does not need additional brining.

Rinse it well then smoke it and you have pastrami. You can add a rub but make sure it is salt free, otherwise the meat will be too salty for most people's taste.

Eddie's got ya covered, Check the label and I guarantee it will say it's "enhanced" with salts and tenderizers. Just soak it for a few hours, changing the water a couple times. dry it off and rub on some spices and your good to go. I usually just go with cracked black pepper and coriander.
Good luck!

Thanks guys, I will give them a rinse and some salt free spice. Now I just need a day off from work to put the plan in action!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky