Cooking in the cold

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richard cameron

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Sacramento California
It was 30 degrees out this morning with clear blue skies when I fired up my smoker.  What a glories day for smoking some food.  Today’s menu consist of 5 pork sirloin roasts, 3 pork loin filets, 5 chicken breasts, and 1 tri-tip roast.  Later on, I will put on some chili and some cornbread in a couple of cast iron skillets.

What temp do you take the sirloin roasts to and what do you do with them?

I cooked the sirloins to an IT of 145 and let them cool.  I then vacuum sealed them and put them in the freezer to await their turn to be eaten.  I like to slice them up and use them in sandwiches. 

My cornbread and chili are for tomorrow night’s dinner.  The tri-tip came out a perfect medium rare. It is also vacuum sealed and in the freezer waiting to be eaten.  My chicken came out looking black.  I put too large a piece of wood in the firebox when I started cooking.  Oh well, I’ll do something with it when the proper time comes.  For now it rests in the freezer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky