Condiments and Additions to Hot Dogs - What's your story?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have always loved hot dogs.
A toastie doggie is still a comfort food from school food days. Ketchup (catsup?) was the only offered condiment back then. Now, I prefer mustard with a little ketchup.
My favorite hot dogs come from Costco. I don't remember the brand from the early days, but the Kirkland brand dinner franks are top notch.

Now a good bratwurst demands fried sauerkraut and mustard only. I tried ketchup once and it really sucked

Love Hot Dogs most any way. Spicy Mustard and Kraut always. Sometimes add shredded cheddar and Bacon.
Hash Browns too once in a while.

Reactions: noboundaries
Have to say when I was a kid I ate so many hot dogs I got to a point I couldn't stand them anymore. Then when I was in younger years of high school dad got a job in a packing plant... got a tour, if most people ever seen them made they would never touch them again! But during busy seasons, two frozen dogs nuked and on slices of bread with...yes ketchup, took about 1 1/2 minutes. Tasty? No! But a quick filler for the belly, yes.

Now fast forward many years, still like a dog with chili, relish, and onions. But since becoming a member of the forums, I should really try to find some good quality dogs and give them a try! But no kraut for me please!

Ryan

I also have hatch chile bacon ranch sauce that goes well on a dog
homemade pimento
For the record, I was a mustard only guy. I was at a cookout and the Black Pepper Parmesan was on the table, I squeezed some on my finger to taste and wow, squeezed it on a dog and WOW! I have since tried the Cheesy Bacon with the same wow factor. Modern living through science and chemicals :emoji_laughing:
View attachment 499298
You all gave some GREAT ideas. I just made pimento cheese two days ago. Might have to buy some dogs tomorrow!

And homemade onion-bacon relish with country brown mustard. Man oh man. That would send my sweet n' salty taste buds into overdrive. Might be worth a try!

Reactions: MJB05615
Why the ketchup hate, can't we all get along! lol
I will put ketchup on an all beef dog but after that it's mustard and that's it. No chili, kraut, onions etc. just mustard. But I only eat quality dogs so they don't need much help in the flavor department.

I like a good Michigan sauce or just plain ketchup.

Not sure if this fall into the condiment category but here's my favorite dogs:
Hollowed out and back filled with some smoked cheddar
1623139690508.png

Then wrapped in bacon.
1623139772514.png

Chris

Only Natural Casing Hot Dogs, Griddle cooked in Bacon Grease till brown and casing just begins to split.
Most commonly topped in one of 4 ways but looking at option.

ONIONS Only. Very Finely minced, preferably the day ahead to mellow, uncovered in the refer.

Onions, Yellow Mustard, Dill Pickle Spear. This was made famous in NJ at a place in the tiny northern town of Buttzville, named Hot Dog Johnny's est. 1944.

Onions, Yellow Mustard and Texas Weiner Sauce (Chili) Just called Texas Weiners in NJ. They can be had at various Texas Weiner Shops to area Diners.

And the most elaborate, the N. Central NJ area Famous Italian Hot Dog! A Pocket Bread made from Pizza Dough, filled with Spicy Brown Mustard, 2 Hot Dogs, Fried Bell Peppers and Onions, crowned with a pile of Deep Fried Potatoes or French Fries, Ketchup optional! ☺ There were several places back in the 70's The best known, to this day is Jimmy Buff's.

it has to be cooked for so long the ground beef has lost all structure

The Secret to that Smooth, Fine Grained Chili...The Beef is added directly to the Water/Liquid, WITHOUT Browning first. The meat gets Mashed and Stirred in to break the strands the grinder formed. It's then simmered to the desired thickness. A little Beef Base and Kitchen Bouquet gives back the browned beef flavor and color. The Chili cooks much faster with a great result...JJ

Only Natural Casing Hot Dogs, Griddle cooked in Bacon Grease till brown and casing just begins to split.

ONIONS Only. Very Finely minced, preferably the day ahead to mellow, uncovered in the refer.

Onions, Yellow Mustard, Dill Pickle Spear. This was made famous in NJ at a place in the tiny northern town of Buttzville, named Hot Dog Johnny's est. 1944.

Onions, Yellow Mustard and Texas Weiner Sauce (Chili) Just called Texas Weiners in NJ. They can be had at various Texas Weiner Shops to area Diners.

And the most elaborate, the N. Central NJ area Famous Italian Hot Dog! A Pocket Bread made from Pizza Dough, filled with Spicy Brown Mustard, 2 Hot Dogs, Fried Bell Peppers and Onions, crowned with a pile of Deep Fried Potatoes or French Fries, Ketchup optional! ☺ There were several places back in the 70's The best known, to this day is Jimmy Buff's.

The Secret to that Smooth, Fine Grained Chili...The Beef is added directly to the Water/Liquid, WITHOUT Browning first. The meat gets Mashed and Stirred in to break the strands the grinder formed. It's then simmered to the desired thickness. A little Beef Base and Kitchen Bouquet gives back the browned beef flavor and color. The Chili cooks much faster with a great result...JJ
OMG! I totally forgot about Jimmy Buff's. They were the absolute best of all time. I'm ashamed as a Jerseyan that I forgot. Thanks JJ for the reminder. It's not authentic if the oil isn't dripping out of the bread, lol.

Split, deep fried and put on a toasted english hot dog roll with ketchup, mustard, and dill relish. Or a curry dog. White hog dog fried or grilled then on a bun with ketchup and curry powder.

A++++ best hands down. It’s a staple at all Cleveland sporting events.
Bertmans is what we use , it’s at all the Cleveland venues.
I haven't had Bertmans yet , just the Authentic Stadium . I get it through Amazon , but it comes out of Illinois .
Good stuff either way . I think next order I'll get the Bertmans Ballpark .

I thought this was interesting , and fits this thread pretty good .
Captions are under the pics .

I enjoy mustard, onion and a sliced dill pickle on mine instead of sweet relish. This is my favorite way to go. Hotdog Johnny’s turned me onto this....don’t forget the Fresh Buttermilk when you go! I’m about an hour away. I need to get there again this summer.

I also like a bacon and cheese dog on a toasted bun. Jimmy’s Quick Lunch in Hazleton PA does this with American cheese toasted on a bun and then adding the sliced bacon with the dog.

Here's another one for ya .
I worked with a guy from Arkansas that put peanut butter on hot dogs .
He swore but it . I never tied it .
I make my own peanut butter, but putting it on a hot dog never crossed my mind. My brain keeps slamming the mental taste test door whenever I try to imagine it.

That said, about 15 years ago we were desert sightseeing out of Ridgecrest, CA. There was a pizza place that served a house special that included peanut butter as one of the ingredients. Big table discussion whether to order it or not. We gave it a try after the hostess said the flavor was both surprisingly delicious and addictive. She was half right. Everyone thought it was interesting but not something we had to have again.

I'll be buying some Nathan's dogs on my next trip to the store. And dang it! Once grilled, I won't be able to stop myself from snipping off an end and trying it with a spoon tip of peanut butter. Thanks Chop.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky