Collard Greens with Hocks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 25, 2014
Attleboro,Ma
Have to tip the hat an say Thank You to Foamheart for inspiring me to try the Collard Greens! Chef JimmyJ for posting a recipe in Kevins post, I made it according to the recipe a few times already Good Stuff.
For this post I changed 1 thing I used Baby Lima Beans,smoked the Hocks a few months back.
Hocks were smoked on my kettle
100_8109.JPG
You can see some nice color
100_8110.JPG
No pics of the Onion or Garlic
Hocks are in the pot to boil and simmer for 1 hour
100_0249.JPG
Collard Greens out of my garden wash an cut
100_0247.JPG
They joined the hocks you can see it looks like a lot
100_0250.JPG
It will look like they won't fit but just pack them in. They cook way down. Once they wilt down, I add 1tsp Salt, 2tsp Black Pepper and 1 TBS Brown Sugar
100_0253.JPG
Simmer these for a hour now I added the Baby Lima Beans
100_0254.JPG
When the beans are tender remove the Hock
when cool cut the meat an skin add back to the pot
You can see how the meat comes off the bones
100_0274.JPG
Time for a good ole comfort food meal
Thanks again Kevin & JJ
100_0291.JPG
Thanks for watching
Richie

Last edited:
Had alot of hocks and beans , never any greens . Have to try that out . That finished bowl has my stomach growling . Looks great . Nice work on the hocks . I remember that post .

Had alot of hocks and beans , never any greens . Have to try that out . That finished bowl has my stomach growling . Looks great . Nice work on the hocks . I remember that post .

Rich Thank you if you get a chance try the greens I was amazed.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie
Having a small party for my youngest son (30)time to head back down to the kitchen

Collards, turnip and mustard greens are great. My grandmother taught me how to prepare them when I was a kid. Always ham hocks and she always added a bit of sugar. I still cook them the same way. Nothing better than seasoned greens and southern cornbread!!!

That looks so good Richie! I could use a bowl of that.

Like!
Joe thanks I hope the garden stays green for a few more weeks,have to cure another bunch of hocks.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

Collards, turnip and mustard greens are great. My grandmother taught me how to prepare them when I was a kid. Always ham hocks and she always added a bit of sugar. I still cook them the same way. Nothing better than seasoned greens and southern cornbread!!!

HI The recipe is a keeper sugar takes the bitterness out.
Richie

Richie that would be an excellent meal in another month or so when the cold weather sets in. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

Awesome those 2 don't miss lead you that foamy and JJ come up with some good stuff. Freeze some of the greens you can have some all winter.

Warren

Richie that would be an excellent meal in another month or so when the cold weather sets in. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris
Chris Thank you I will probably start another batch of hocks tomorrow.Thanks for the point I appreciate it
Richie

Awesome those 2 don't miss lead you that foamy and JJ come up with some good stuff. Freeze some of the greens you can have some all winter.

Warren

Warren Thanks I didn't know if they would hold up to freezing,guess I will have to trim an cut some up so I can bag them.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

Warren Thanks I guess it won't hurt to try.Just put 4 more hocks into the curing brine.
Richie

BRAVO! This is really making me hungry! I wish the Mrs liked greens. But I would be all over this if I ever had a chance! Like!

Have to tip the hat an say Thank You to Foamheart for inspiring me to try the Collard Greens! Chef JimmyJ for posting a recipe in Kevins post, I made it according to the recipe a few times already Good Stuff.
For this post I changed 1 thing I used Baby Lima Beans,smoked the Hocks a few months back.
Hocks were smoked on my kettle
View attachment 406494
You can see some nice color
View attachment 406495
No pics of the Onion or Garlic
Hocks are in the pot to boil and simmer for 1 hour
View attachment 406496
Collard Greens out of my garden wash an cut
View attachment 406498
They joined the hocks you can see it looks like a lot
View attachment 406499
It will look like they won't fit but just pack them in. They cook way down. Once they wilt down, I add 1tsp Salt, 2tsp Black Pepper and 1 TBS Brown Sugar
View attachment 406501
Simmer these for a hour now I added the Baby Lima Beans
View attachment 406502
When the beans are tender remove the Hock
when cool cut the meat an skin add back to the pot
You can see how the meat comes off the bones
View attachment 406503
Time for a good ole comfort food meal
Thanks again Kevin & JJ
View attachment 406504
Thanks for watching
Richie
How long did you smoke the hocks for Richie?

Nice...going to try this, put some hot sauce in the bowl and you are all set.
Down to my last bottle of S.C. Reaper sauce I'll keep that in mind Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky