Fresh Green Beans, New Potatoes & Cured Smoked Hocks ~Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Remember the last of my hocks I curse and smoke a couple a weeks ago? Sure you do they were pretty.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/butt-hocks-foamheart.279522/

Friend brought over about 5 lbs of "salvaged" green beans, Fresh but are throw aways in just a couple a days. Lots of picking and pulling and of course snapping. I got this pot and enough left for another out of those 5 pounds. Well you gotta season the beans right, so that gives me a chance to try out those hocks I just did. I just happened to have some small new potatoes laying around so it was like Momma always did.

I used a good squirt of honey (Mom used a pinch of white sugar), and just before eating some "Ancient fine ground" salt and some cracked black. This is a lot of typing for something so simple. I will not mention the Southern fried chicken and corn bread.

Just look at the pretty pot of green beans. Just those beans would have been a meal when I was a kid. We'd all be fighting over the pieces of hock, especially the skin.... LOL

IMG_9200.JPG

Never turn your nose up even at marginal fresh food. The next pot will be divided and sent to others, who surely will appreciate it. I know I enjoy seeing someone else smile when they get fresh groceries. Its always worth the effort.

Sounds interesting, I have never had hocks before, My wife keeps telling me she is going to make me some one day, guess I will have to ask her to when I get home.

Thats just plain out comfort food,had a very close dish last night.Pork Tenderloin,Green Beans,Mashed tatters
Nice job Kevin
Richie

That is exactly my Dad's dish right there! Green beans from the garden too. I can smell it from here. House would smell like it for days... He also rocked them in split pea and bean soups. We have a local pork processor and their hocks are real good, although maybe not as good as homemade. That is basically a meal to us (maybe a few more taters), just add some crusty bread and lil peanut butter. I'd be good for 3 or 4 bowls. Dang man, was 45F this AM and perfect weather for that!

Back on your other thread you mentioned phosphate and that stuff is awesome with butts. Actually, I think it's dang good in everything! I am similar to you and need confirmation on mixing it with cure but I see plenty of sausage recipes with them together so I think it's OK. Hopefully someone chimes in and confirms.

Sounds interesting, I have never had hocks before, My wife keeps telling me she is going to make me some one day, guess I will have to ask her to when I get home.

Seriously Charlie I like 'me, but its a long cook time till edible. They are one in the arsenal of seasoning meats. Now what used to be poor folks food or soul food is now in vogue because folks have figured out how to make the delectable.

Man that looks good. I totally get fighting over the skin! I managed the kitchens in a family restaurant and retirement home in Lancaster County PA, an original Amish/Mennonite settlement. We had to make 10 gallons at a time every week. Very tasty and popular...JJ

That looks real good Kev. Don't think I've ever seen green beans cooked that way before--just cooked up as a veggie..
POINT
Gary

They are generally just a side dish Gary. My Mom generally added the taters (ham hocks were special), less pots to wash and with taters and green beans, throw in some corn bread and sweet milk it really was a cheap easy meal that we'd fight over. If any were left over, the next night she'd add a meat of some type and she was done again. Weren't no flies on Momma!

That is exactly my Dad's dish right there! Green beans from the garden too. I can smell it from here. House would smell like it for days... He also rocked them in split pea and bean soups. We have a local pork processor and their hocks are real good, although maybe not as good as homemade. That is basically a meal to us (maybe a few more taters), just add some crusty bread and lil peanut butter. I'd be good for 3 or 4 bowls. Dang man, was 45F this AM and perfect weather for that!

Back on your other thread you mentioned phosphate and that stuff is awesome with butts. Actually, I think it's dang good in everything! I am similar to you and need confirmation on mixing it with cure but I see plenty of sausage recipes with them together so I think it's OK. Hopefully someone chimes in and confirms.

You know some foods just have that whole house smell, green beans, mustard greens, boiling a chicken, etc.... Its strange the memories they stir up when you smell them now a days.

I get a bit perplexed when compounding chemicals, I hated chemistry, I hated the fact that you had to memorize it all up front to be able to apply it to anything. Sure wish I would have had a better attitude.

Looks good Foam! I'm going to keep my eyes open for Ham Hocks now...!

I keep telling folks, you want the good food, look for where the majority of the clientele is on assistance (welfare). Know though, they do take a very long cook to be able to eat and there isn't a lot to them. But ya know country folks use all of everything they butcher. Our last hog, Pop brought out a recorder and got his squeal just before the butchering, he said it was the first time he had processed the whole hog. LOL

I keep telling folks, you want the good food, look for where the majority of the clientele is on assistance (welfare). Know though, they do take a very long cook to be able to eat and there isn't a lot to them. But ya know country folks use all of everything they butcher. Our last hog, Pop brought out a recorder and got his squeal just before the butchering, he said it was the first time he had processed the whole hog. LOL
ROFL.

I always thought hamhocks were like shanks to be fair, same sort of dishes certainly work with them!

Man that looks good. I totally get fighting over the skin! I managed the kitchens in a family restaurant and retirement home in Lancaster County PA, an original Amish/Mennonite settlement. We had to make 10 gallons at a time every week. Very tasty and popular...JJ

Ya know thats why I always cringe when someone says they are going to cut that rind off their bacon and throw it away.

I know this will sound stupid to you, but I think that would be so much fun. I have mess cooked before for a semi large group in a very limited space and they thought I was stupid cause I was always smiling. Of course part of it was I knew it was only for a short duration, and it was all about attitude. Space was a premium! BUt where you were you could plan and add your own spin to what and how it was prepared. Thats a pretty awesome job. I always respect a cook, or a chef and will help 'em in anyway possible but they usually have it all planned and don't really need much.

I mess cranked for a bit on a sub, it was all about testing my attitude, the stories I could tell...LOL When I had my store in West Texas, I used to cook at least every other Friday. Usually wild game or fish whenever we had left overs we always did after everyone took all they wantyed home, I took it over to the mission. At first they were weary because it was precooked or because it was wild game, but they got over that pretty quick.

I think I'd still enjoy it, probably because I don't have to do it.

ROFL.

I always thought hamhocks were like shanks to be fair, same sort of dishes certainly work with them!

Just seasoning meats like tasso, andouille, ham, bacon, pickled pork, smoked neck bones, turkey necks etc.... I actually saw a new one this week and I really though I had seen them all. The guy called 'em Turkey booties. He showed the picture when I asked what it was and they were just the turkey tails which had been smoked. Great seasoning meat!

Turkey tails!!!! Don't tell me the word is getting out!!! They are the Chef's treat. A most prized snack as the TG bird comes out of the oven to rest. Crispy Skin with an interior the equivalent of bacon. Thin streaks of meat imbedded in tasty turkey fat. Pure luxury with intense flavor...JJ

Turkey tails!!!! Don't tell me the word is getting out!!! They are the Chef's treat. A most prized snack as the TG bird comes out of the oven to rest. Crispy Skin with an interior the equivalent of bacon. Thin streaks of meat imbedded in tasty turkey fat. Pure luxury with intense flavor...JJ

That was always Pop's piece of the bird. And he made a big deal out of it, the back and tail. He always called it the piece that went under the fence last!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky