Chicken quarters and pork loin...newbie needs some direction (qview added)

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by menk45, Jul 22, 2011.

1. menk45

menk45 Fire Starter

I have 4 chicken quarters and a small pork loin that I plan on smoking tomorrow for dinner, but really need some direction.  I will be using a Gourmet ECB.

I tried searching some of the previous posts but haven't had much success, just can't seem to find everything in one location...maybe I'm just to impatient to keep looking. [​IMG]

Can someone help me with step by step instructions for the chicken quarters?  Thanks!

2. Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  3. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Chicken quarters are real easy.

Just follow ale's suggestions.

4. Hey you got a new pic Al. Much better than that fish you were holding. [​IMG]

5. menk45

menk45 Fire Starter

6. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  7. You're very welcome. Don't forget to take pics and document the process. We love the Q-View around here.

8. ugaboz

ugaboz Smoking Fanatic

pics

9. scooper

scooper Smoking Fanatic

That there's funny, I don't care who y'are!

10. menk45

menk45 Fire Starter

OK, so once I got the ziplock bag of chicken thawed, I found out they were legs and thighs, not really quarters.

[​IMG]

Made up a rub, just "winged" it b/c I don't really know what I am doing..

2T Course Salt, 2T pepper, 1 T garlic powder, 1 T onion powder, and 1T paprika

[​IMG]

I let them sit for about 20 minutes, then added to a bath of buttermilk

[​IMG]

For the pork loin (2.5lbs), I found a "sweet and spicy" rub recipe that I had printed out a while back, can't remember where I got it.

1/4c brown sugar

1/4c white sugar

1/4c course salt

2 T chili powder

2 t cayenne pepper

1 T garlic powder

1 t ground cumin

[​IMG]

Will be starting the smoker soon and will have more pics later

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  11. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

LOL, my wife demands they are over cooked. I have to constantly take them into the 180º region for her to eat them.  Don't expect them to be crisp from the smoker, we always finish them on the hot grill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still moist and tender, without brining. Remember to keep the chicken BELOW the Loin. Google up Memphis Rub for a nice Chicken Rub.

As to the loin, just don't over do it. No more than 140º internal, then wrap in foil for 45 minutes after removing from the smoker.

12. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Also, if you are using photobucket, use the Direct Link one and when you use the Photo button here, place it under the URL tab. They should show up nicely.

13. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

We'll be waiting. 

14. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Yea, Judy's my best catch yet!