I made Chopsaw's pork loin tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
The other day, chopsaw chopsaw posted up some Pork Loin Tacos that he made using his Instant Pot. As luck would have it, I had some loin leftover after making some jerky and decided to follow his lead. I was curious to try his method.

Here's his thread: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pork-loin-tacos.315370/

I started by making a quick chorizo seasoning because I didn't have any for sausage, and I decided I didn't want to use one of those taco seasoning packets. I cubed up the boneless CSRs I had leftover from the loin. Threw some seasoning in the bag and put it in the fridge to do it's thing. I did this in the morning, so the pork was in the spice mixture for about 8 hours.
IMG_8893.jpg

IMG_8894.jpg

Then I decided to make a batch of pineapple salsa, I figured it would go really well with the pork.

Pineapple Salsa

Finely diced pineapple (I used a 16oz. pre cut pack because it was already ripe)
2 large jalapenos, seeded and de-veined...leave in for a spicier salsa
1/2 red onion, diced
A large handful of cilantro
Juice of one lime
Salt and pepper to taste
IMG_8896.jpg

I started the pork in the IP by using 1/2 cup chicken broth since there wasn't any liquid in the bag. I also added a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to keep it along with the chorizo theme.
IMG_8898.jpg

I set the IP for 35 minutes. I did a natural release and released the remaining pressure after 20 minutes. I probably could have done less time here, the meat was tender and flavorful but a bit on the dry side..probably from the lack of fat and the 20 minutes I used for the NR. But it's nothing a little sauce and salsa couldn't fix.

I also pressed out some fresh corn tortillas using one of Rich's presses.
IMG_8900.jpg

Once the tortillas rested and steamed for a bit, the tacos were assembled. These were just the chorizo shredded pork loin, green taco truck sauce, pineapple salsa and some cotija cheese.
IMG_8902.jpg

IMG_8904.jpg

These were excellent and I really liked using the IP here for a quick weeknight meal. You could get the tortillas and the meat finished up at the same time, so it can be a meal that comes together fairly quickly.

For Round 2 since I had quite a bit of salsa leftover, I made up some fish tacos for the next night's dinner. These are just Gorton's Crunchy Fish Fillets. The only thing I do is spray them and season them a bit on both sides then cook in the oven a few minutes longer so they're more crispy. I just pressed fresh tortillas for these and served with the leftover condiments the night before. It was a nice day out, so my wife and I enjoyed these outside on the deck with a few beverages.
IMG_8908.jpg

So Chop, I thank you again for showing us another way of how something can be done. One could never have too many methods or tricks up their sleeve. I'll definitely do this again from time to time.

Great looking tacos. And I have to say....I have never thought of using the frozen fish filets for tacos like that....That is something I will have to spring on the pit for him to snack on!
Jim

Reactions: xray
Those tacos look mighty good to me xray.

Point for sure
Chris

Thank you Jim...and yes the frozen filets are great for fish tacos. They crisp up nicely and I much prefer them over using shrimp...plus they're super easy and mostly hands off than breading/frying/grilling etc.

I just spray them with cooking spray to help the seasoning stick better and cook.
IMG_8907.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
Great looking tacos. And I have to say....I have never thought of using the frozen fish filets for tacos like that....That is something I will have to spring on the pit for him to snack on!
Jim

Those tacos look mighty good to me xray.

Point for sure
Chris

Thank you Chris, they are good and thanks for the point, I appreciate it. If I had a beer pole for the Genny, I would have used it :emoji_laughing:

Nice looking tacos Joe! I could go for a few right now. And I hate to admit it but those frozen fish filets are pretty damn good!

Those look great Joe . Simple goodness . Nice work .
X2 on the fish tacos . We use the Gorton's beer battered .
That's another quick meal that's really good .
Nice work bud .

Boy howdy Joe, you done Rich proud, handmade torts and all, a fine piece of work there! RAY

Nice looking tacos! I could use a few for lunch today.....

Thanks you CS! I think tacos for two nights worth of dinners will scratch the itch.

Nice looking tacos Joe! I could go for a few right now. And I hate to admit it but those frozen fish filets are pretty damn good!

Thank you John and I agree that those filets are pretty good. We both have a thing for fish and frozen garlic bread :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Those look great Joe . Simple goodness . Nice work .
X2 on the fish tacos . We use the Gorton's beer battered .
That's another quick meal that's really good .
Nice work bud .

Thank you Rich and they are much simpler than they look, you could attest to that. I like the beer battered ones too..The potato crunch ones are really good also. I bought those over the holidays when everything else was cleaned out.

I love those homemade tortillas!

Thanks Sven, homemade are so much better than store bought ones. A good thing about making them is you only need some corn masa and water, so they are always available to me when I need them. The press makes everything easier, before I had one, I used to press them underneath a clear pie dish.

Some good looking tacos joe. Thanks for the salsa recipe. I love fresh things like that. Nice work bud

Thank you Jake, and you're very welcome. Once it gets hot outside, I love eating fresh salsas and pico and try to include the recipes when posting. Too bad the processed fried fish filets wipe out any healthy gains...oh well, a necessary sacrifice.

XR, Everything looks incredibly delicious!

Thank you CM, I appreciate it.

Incredible! I’m watching Taco cooking on YouTube right now🤣 Perfect timing, but nothing that looks as delicious as yours! Great work!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky