Chicken butchering

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Western Maryland
I have killed and butchered a lot of stuff but never domestic fowl. Anyone have any pointers? The daughter went nuts and got chickens and ordered way too many roosters at 11 and 8 or 9 will be heading to the freezer and fridge in a month or so.

I don't have a mechanical plucker, I did have a drill plucker, but I might have ditched that after trying it on geese and hating it.

Kill in a cone of some sort
Dip in 150° - 160° water, (for how long)
Hand pluck?
Gut, clean and Vac seal

Thought, ideas or any wisdom to impart?

Beware of salmonella and other "stuff" you can contract from poultry... A "kill cone" is supposed to calm them... There are U-T videos showing how to do a "Kosher kill"... A scalpel or something similar to clip the juggler is supposed to be the most humane.. I don't recall the "dip water" temperature but that sounds close... and really loosens the feathers from the skin...
Why are you keeping roosters ?? I kept 1 and when he got old enough, he beat the crap out of the hens mating... They don't help at all with egg production... He attacked me every chance he had.... He will attack your daughter... My hens relaxed when I finally did him in... They were tired of being chased 24/7...

I am a goose hunter and I can handle any rooster that EVER lived. If one attacks me he's getting windmilled and plucked. :D I will not put up with any of those shenanigans. The neighbor used to have a tom turkey and it would peck my daughter when younger. I caught him once by the tail feathers and scooped him up and squeezed this wings into his body. We had a eye to eye stare and s short talk. He had that "Don't eat me look." and it never happened any more, he knew I was boss. ;) We want raise our Rhode Island reds ourselves for layers and roasters. I would like to keep big roosters for genetics but might end up with the calmer rooster. Only time will tell

We know all about the hand washing and salmonella stuff. She cleans the coop with disposable latex gloves.

It's been a burzillion years since I butchered chickens, But I just chopped their head off holding the feet and wingtips in one hand, letting them bleed out.
Once done, we dipped the entire bird in boiling water and swooshed them around, for about a timed (not guesstimated) minute.
The boiling water helps release the feathers so they are easier to pluck. Then sit down in a chair and stripp your bird(s).
When all the feathers are plucked, you are ready to gut and gullet your chicken.
Your end result will look like a store bought bird.

Forget the fancy smanchie pluckers and B.S. Use your hands, man up, and butcher birds.
Your Daughter probably bought Straight Run pullets, and they generally go around 50-50 Hens-Roosters from a reputable source. If she buys anymore, it is worth it to buy sorted hens.
I always preferred Rhode Island Reds. But have had Araucana and the big, fast growing white chickens usually raised for meat.
The white "meat Chickens" will grow so big they can't get around. Usually ready to butcher in 6-8 weeks. Up to 12 pound birds. Cornish Cross.

If you can raise your own, and control the processing yourself, you can get a better, safer chicken.

I would have got the cornish cross if it was me. She wanted chickens and at first they were her babies. Now she starts ranting "Chicken nuggets" when they piss her off. :D She kills deer, ducks and geese hunting but said I am going to have to kill the rooster and she can help after that.

The chickens came from TSC and when ordering she have to get 10 hens with 10 rooster and got 11 each. Then she went tot he local store and got 4 leg horns. She should have gone to the local and just bought 2 or 3 rooster, but she's like me. GO BIG

As a makeshift plucker we used to use a BMX/MTB - any knobby tire.Turn the bike upside down on it's seat and bars.One person cranks and one manipulates the fowl.The larger MTB tire works better,it's crude but works.

Man up and pluck them while their still alive. :rolleyes:

Chris

Yea, I am sure this will be a long day and only made enjoyable the taste of malted beverages. I'd prefer an IPA, but this is cheaper and makes me less Fatter.
light-can-12-lg.png

Reactions: SonnyE
I have killed and butchered a lot of stuff but never domestic fowl. Anyone have any pointers? The daughter went nuts and got chickens and ordered way too many roosters at 11 and 8 or 9 will be heading to the freezer and fridge in a month or so.

I don't have a mechanical plucker, I did have a drill plucker, but I might have ditched that after trying it on geese and hating it.

Kill in a cone of some sort
Dip in 150° - 160° water, (for how long)
Hand pluck?
Gut, clean and Vac seal

Thought, ideas or any wisdom to impart?

I chop off heads while holding feet. Dip in hot water (temp you have is fine) as someone else stated for a minute (may have to do more than once. Plucking will tell. Once plucked we seared some of the fluff that will be left. Just a quick pass with a butane torch. Gut. Rinse in sink and well use tweezers or needle nose pliers to remove any pin feathers that are still in bird. Shouldn't be that many. Package (i usually freeze first to lock in moisture and keep it out of my vacuum pac).
I would also throw at least one on the grill or fry for that evening meal.
kit

Reactions: SonnyE
I was told to rest in the fridge for two days to let the meat relax (rigor mortis) I know I rest deer two days, one in the cooler and a couple in the fridge in buckets.

Yeah, but I'm subject to call for driving. So it's Pepsi, Appah Jewce, Milk, and Chalkit milk for me right now.
But there's beers in the fridge... :rolleyes:

Yeah, Kit, I forgot about the quick torch for any hairs or fuzz. ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky