My butchering skills $uck!!! Long post - pic heavy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great to me Chris , and I see nothing wrong with the processing .
It just takes practice , and after you get it figured out it's hard to buy it any other way .
I get all mine at GFS and break it down myself .

Reactions: gmc2003
Awesome.

About 6 months back we "rediscovered" Gene's meat market over the border in Mass and it was like being in meat heaven. The two tri tips I got from them were beyond outstanding and they make all their sausage and chourico in house. Gotta hit them up this Saturday.
Thanks Norman, We were both shocked when we walked into this store.
Oh my, that looks so good.
With just two of us, we vacuum seal most of what we smoke too.
Raw meat in one freezer, cooked in another. Haha
Appreciate it Bruce, the vacuum sealer is a smokers best friend. We're thinking about getting a second freezer for that very reason.

Chris

Great find. Not bad prices. And great looking steaks!!!

Jim
Thanks Jim, the quality and price are head and shoulders above any grocer around here.
Them steaks look excellent, That's a pretty good price for the ribeyes, you could easily bone out the ribeye then you can cut any thickness you want and save the ribs for another cook.
Appreciate it Jim. This was my first time playing butcher. So I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. I'll probably go that route with at least half the rack on the next one.

Chris

Reactions: JLeonard
Nice find, we are in the same feelings for the local grocery stores around here
Hard to get what you want. If their meat cutters can do what you ask it is still hit and miss, and price is scary

Couple of nice Ribeye's Chris, love how thick you got them cut

David
Thanks David, My wife loves the thick cut ribeyes. Around here to get a special cut you have to catch them while they're actually cutting the meat. They won't stop what they're doing for special requests.
That rib roast...OMG...wow...I haven't seen prices like that in years. :emoji_astonished::emoji_heart_eyes:
Appreciate it Ray, We used to see prices like this around the holidays, but no more. Looks like I'll be buying in bulk from now on,

Chris

Yes, at that price you should be sitting in jail.
LOL thanks Winter.
I agree with the above. Those are like 2015 prices for the meat. Now use the money you saved and get yourself a real wood or pellet smoker before you tackle that brisket. Then we can giggle at your new posts on how did I not do this before.
Appreciate it Chris, but I won't be trading in my kettles or WSM anytime soon. I had an offset in my early days of smoking. That was enough for me.

Chris

I good at butcher things and not in a good way! Steaks look good.
Thanks Brian, I know how you feel.
Looks great to me Chris , and I see nothing wrong with the processing .
It just takes practice , and after you get it figured out it's hard to buy it any other way .
I get all mine at GFS and break it down myself .
Appreciate it Rich. The steaks for the most part came out fine. My biggest issue was keeping them even end to end. On most of the steaks one side is about 1/4 thinner than the other.

Chris

$5.99 bone in Ribeye is awesome price!! They are more than double that here when on sale. Nice job!
Thanks Nodak, Same here for the price and a lessor quality.
That's one heck of a find! Looks delicious! And I don't think you did a bad job butchering them... keep at it and you'll be a master in no time!

Ryan
Appreciate it Ryan, but your being generous. The cuts are uneven one side is thicker then the other. I see a lot of practice in my future tho.

Chris

Wow looks great from here. Nice score.
Thank you very much FB
Your skills look spot on to me Chris! Cooked those babies just right too.
Appreciate it Jeff, but the cuts are uneven and the steaks are just a little overdone for us. Both will be improved upon next time.

Chris

Reactions: jcam222
Chris

Nice job! You can butcher for me.

Joe
Thanks Joe, the first couple of cuts are pretty uneven. It did get better on the last few cuts.
Nice find Chris. Long live Hannibal! But how did they eat? Worth the trouble? I’m betting so. Nice work.
Appreciate it Edge. It was definitely worth the effort. I don't see myself buying meat at the local grocery chain anytime soon.

Chris

Reactions: SmokinEdge
GMC, Nice find and great prices. Your cuts look good !
Thanks CM. A little uneven and overdone but that didn't affect the taste any.
You inspired me, Chris. I dug through the freezer and found two vac-sealed steaks cut from a prime rib roast last Christmas. Let the thawing begin!
Appreciate it Ray. Weather permitting these steaks will be in the rotation once a week. Let us know how yours turns out.

Chris

Reactions: noboundaries
That's a huge score! I can and will never find meat like that for that price around here. Nice work.
Thanks Sven. I didn't think I would either, but a couple of buddies from work hooked me up with this store.

Chris

Yes sir Chris!! That's a big ol' slab of meat and a pretty darned good price. If you cut those steaks between the bones you only got 7 steaks and they are gonna be enormous!! Makes for a really nice cowboy rib eye though. Nicely cooked and delicious I'd bet. Enjoy the rest of those monsters :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Reactions: gmc2003
Yes sir Chris!! That's a big ol' slab of meat and a pretty darned good price. If you cut those steaks between the bones you only got 7 steaks and they are gonna be enormous!! Makes for a really nice cowboy rib eye though. Nicely cooked and delicious I'd bet. Enjoy the rest of those monsters :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Appreciate it Robert. Cutting in-between the bones is exactly what I did. Since it was my first time cutting up a big chunk of meat. I wanted to keep it as simple as possible.

Chris

VERY NICE! First off, I gotta ask if you wore a mask when you stole those ? Did you leave your wife out in the running get away car parked by the door? Were there any cameras in the building?
Seriously, nice score! and awesome looking steaks! Although I prefer to chase them around a little bit in the back yard before eating them, Im pretty sure I could of eaten both of them!

Imma going to say you get 2 points....for sure!

VERY NICE! First off, I gotta ask if you wore a mask when you stole those ? Did you leave your wife out in the running get away car parked by the door? Were there any cameras in the building?
Seriously, nice score! and awesome looking steaks! Although I prefer to chase them around a little bit in the back yard before eating them, Im pretty sure I could of eaten both of them!

Imma going to say you get 2 points....for sure!
LOL BED, no no there weren't any masks involved. I also joined their rewards program so I'll get discounts on future purchases. If mother nature is compliant today. I may swing by and pick up a tri-tip or two.

Chris

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Always nice to have a mom & pop type of butcher shop handy. They are for sure hard to find sometimes. I am lucky were I live I have several. Also my new neighbor is a butcher at the Thunder Bay meat processing plant so anything I want I just let him know and its at my door by 5 PM when he gets home.
Mom & Pops display window....makes you just want to jump in don't it.

Attachments

• 18118560_1280719462041415_5908913661170470719_n.jpg
    18118560_1280719462041415_5908913661170470719_n.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 18157341_1280719502041411_1746488046851219956_n.jpg
    18157341_1280719502041411_1746488046851219956_n.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 275564141_3234200913479280_6899284063049241987_n.jpg
    275564141_3234200913479280_6899284063049241987_n.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 6
Always nice to have a mom & pop type of butcher shop handy. They are for sure hard to find sometimes. I am lucky were I live I have several. Also my new neighbor is a butcher at the Thunder Bay meat processing plant so anything I want I just let him know and its at my door by 5 PM when he gets home.
Mom & Pops display window....makes you just want to jump in don't it.
Thank KB, and wow and I thought our mom-n-pop meat display looked good.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky