KFC - Korean Fried Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm trying this soon, already got the mix in. So only add a little water to the mix and that's it? No Egg or? And the second bowl is the same mix dry.

I'm trying this soon, already got the mix in. So only add a little water to the mix and that's it? No Egg or? And the second bowl is the same mix dry.

Correct. Just add water to the mix. Two bowls, one wet, one dry. I slowly add water until the consistency is right. If it is a little lumpy let it sit for 5 minutes and mix again. With the wet and dry you will be surprised how thick and crispy it gets.

For the cooking I usually put three or four pieces in at a time. It take 3-5 minutes. It will quickly go from tan to brown. It will darken more after it cools for a couple minutes.

Use two sets of tongs. One for before frying and one to remove from the fryer.

I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Reactions: MJB05615
Correct. Just add water to the mix. Two bowls, one wet, one dry. I slowly add water until the consistency is right. If it is a little lumpy let it sit for 5 minutes and mix again. With the wet and dry you will be surprised how thick and crispy it gets.

For the cooking I usually put three or four pieces in at a time. It take 3-5 minutes. It will quickly go from tan to brown. It will darken more after it cools for a couple minutes.

I tried tonight. Came out great. Very easy. Nice and crispy good Ginger flavor too. Juicy too.
IMG_4441.jpg IMG_4442.jpg

Every once in a while I love to make a nice batch of Koren Fried Chicken. It starts with a pre-mixed batter that you just need to add water to one half of it. If you don't have a Korean market you can order it thru Amazon.

I prefer this brand. Next to it is a tempura mix that I will also use separately.

View attachment 662941

For the chicken I use breasts cut into 1/2" strips. I make a bowl of batter mixed with water to a consistency thinner than pancake mix. I get everything ready before frying.

View attachment 662942

Dip it in the wet mix.

View attachment 662943

Then in the dry mix.

View attachment 662944

and into the vegetable oil at 325*.

View attachment 662945

You can call it a day there since this is plenty tasty.

View attachment 662946

Or you can spice it up a bit and make a variety pretty quickly. Here I made a simple honey mustard and a chili garlic and soy sauce.

View attachment 662947

Add a few sesame seeds and now you have choices KFC Menu Prices Uk. For the shrimp and onion rings I watered down the wet mix to make it thinner then dipped it in the tempura mix dry.

View attachment 662948
This tastes like KFC but doesn't require a pressure fryer. Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1/8 tsp. powdered ginger
1/4 tsp. rubbed sage
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
1 tbs. ground black pepper
1/8 tsp. red pepper
1/2 tsp. Summer Savory
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tso. mustard powder
1/8 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. granulated onion powder
1 tbs. paprika

Combine the flour, herbs, spices and salt in a gallon freezer bag. Add the chicken pieces. Shake to coat all chicken. Put in the refrigerator for three to four hours. The flour will partially hydrate and become a thick past that coats the chicken.

Preheat 2 inches of oil in a frying pan until fragrant. Turn heat to medium-high flame. Place chicken pieces in hot oil and fry each for five minutes. Continue turning and frying until golden brown. Do not crown the chicken so that the hot oil can get all around each piece. Drain on paper towels and serve with your favorite sides.

I have tried bunches of copycat recipes for KFC chicken, some using tomato soup in them, some using tomato powder, some that had just plain strange things in them. None of them tasted anything like KFC chicken. If you bite into KFC chicken, the most pronounce flavors are salt and pepper. The other herbs and spices enhance those flavors, especially the garlic, sage and savory.

Give this recipe a try the next time you want that KFC flavor. Our local KFC went out of business where I live. If I want it, I have to make it. Oh, a and mine isn't as greasy as the stuff from the restaurant.

I like to add to add a little extreme pepper powder to mine, to keep me warm on our cold autumn nights. This is a great meal with waffles, or steamed green beans, or steamed cauliflower. Wish I could make my baked beans, but not allowed on a CKD diet.

Oh, and KFC style slaw is easy tome make as well. Here's how.

Ingredients:
1/2 head of green cabbage
1/2 medium onion
2 carrots, peeled
3 tbs. granulated sugar
1/4 cup Miracle Whip salad dressing
1/4 cup ice water
Grate the cabbage with a box grater and place into a large bowl. Do the same with the carrot and add it too to the bowl. Finely mince the onion and put in the bowl. Add the sugar, salad dressing, and water. Stir until well mixed. This slaw should be very juicy. Cover and place in the fridge until cold.

Home-made Biscuits

1/ cup AP flour
2 tsp double-acting baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. sugar
4 tbs. softened butter.
1/4 cup water

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. cut in the butter as if making a pie crust. Add the water and stir until a dough is formed. The dough should be a little sticky, but able to be formed into a ball by hand. The less you stir it, the more tender the biscuits will be.

Preheat oven to 350' F. Form dough balls about the size of a golf ball and place on a foil lined cookie sheet. Flatten to about a quarter inch thick. Place in the oven and bake for 12 to 17 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve hot with your chicken dinner, butter, and honey.

With the biscuits, if you make the dough a little dryer, and roll it out, you can spread it with butter, chill it, then fold and roll it again. Do this three or four times to make flaky biscuits, kind of like making puff pastry, but with a leavening agent in it. Use a biscuit cutter, or clean, empty soup can to cut out the biscuits. The biscuits are very good either way. The latter is just more impressive. Use the dough left over from cutting to make fritters. Just work in tome fruit and sugar, and make into doughnut sized pastries.

Holy cow this is an older post that I missed.

Scrumpdillyicious is all I can say. Those tenders look great Chris

Point for sure
Chris

thanks for this

This tastes like KFC but doesn't require a pressure fryer. Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1/8 tsp. powdered ginger
1/4 tsp. rubbed sage
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
1 tbs. ground black pepper
1/8 tsp. red pepper
1/2 tsp. Summer Savory
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tso. mustard powder
1/8 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. granulated onion powder
1 tbs. paprika

Combine the flour, herbs, spices and salt in a gallon freezer bag. Add the chicken pieces. Shake to coat all chicken. Put in the refrigerator for three to four hours. The flour will partially hydrate and become a thick past that coats the chicken.

Preheat 2 inches of oil in a frying pan until fragrant. Turn heat to medium-high flame. Place chicken pieces in hot oil and fry each for five minutes. Continue turning and frying until golden brown. Do not crown the chicken so that the hot oil can get all around each piece. Drain on paper towels and serve with your favorite sides.

I have tried bunches of copycat recipes for KFC chicken, some using tomato soup in them, some using tomato powder, some that had just plain strange things in them. None of them tasted anything like KFC chicken. If you bite into KFC chicken, the most pronounce flavors are salt and pepper. The other herbs and spices enhance those flavors, especially the garlic, sage and savory.

Give this recipe a try the next time you want that KFC flavor. Our local KFC went out of business where I live. If I want it, I have to make it. Oh, a and mine isn't as greasy as the stuff from the restaurant.

I like to add to add a little extreme pepper powder to mine, to keep me warm on our cold autumn nights. This is a great meal with waffles, or steamed green beans, or steamed cauliflower. Wish I could make my baked beans, but not allowed on a CKD diet.

Oh, and KFC style slaw is easy tome make as well. Here's how.

Ingredients:
1/2 head of green cabbage
1/2 medium onion
2 carrots, peeled
3 tbs. granulated sugar
1/4 cup Miracle Whip salad dressing
1/4 cup ice water
Grate the cabbage with a box grater and place into a large bowl. Do the same with the carrot and add it too to the bowl. Finely mince the onion and put in the bowl. Add the sugar, salad dressing, and water. Stir until well mixed. This slaw should be very juicy. Cover and place in the fridge until cold.

Home-made Biscuits

1/ cup AP flour
2 tsp double-acting baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. sugar
4 tbs. softened butter.
1/4 cup water

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. cut in the butter as if making a pie crust. Add the water and stir until a dough is formed. The dough should be a little sticky, but able to be formed into a ball by hand. The less you stir it, the more tender the biscuits will be.

Preheat oven to 350' F. Form dough balls about the size of a golf ball and place on a foil lined cookie sheet. Flatten to about a quarter inch thick. Place in the oven and bake for 12 to 17 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve hot with your chicken dinner, butter, and honey.

With the biscuits, if you make the dough a little dryer, and roll it out, you can spread it with butter, chill it, then fold and roll it again. Do this three or four times to make flaky biscuits, kind of like making puff pastry, but with a leavening agent in it. Use a biscuit cutter, or clean, empty soup can to cut out the biscuits. The biscuits are very good either way. The latter is just more impressive. Use the dough left over from cutting to make fritters. Just work in tome fruit and sugar, and make into doughnut sized pastries.
this recipe is amazing

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky