Holding Cooler with a Sous Vide heater

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
As of now my 26qt poly tank is holding at 150 degrees. The Sous Vide temp is 155 degrees. No insulation around the body. I just have towels placed on the lid. I have more than enough room to place the brisket inside.

air temp.jpg
poly tank water level.jpg
Sous Vide temp.jpg

Reactions: SmokinEdge
*******UPDATE********

I am abandoning the cooler. I could not get the angle at the right spot without having to marine seal my sous vide heater permanently in place.

However, hope is not lost. I am starting to building my own holding chamber that will be able to hold my cooks at 150 degrees for an infinite amount of time. Honestly, no more than 24 hours.

I am only into this thing for about $19.00 worth of 2 x 2's. I have most of the material laying around to use. I will have to by insulation, some gaskets, hinges, lock to secure the lid and rear door, and casters.

I searched the internet and found some chinese food warmers ($500.00) and a mini Alto sham ($1,500.00) but no container larger than a standard sous vide vessel.

It is a work in progress and hope to have it completed by the end of July (my job that pays the bills gets in the way sometimes).

I am not a builder (at all). I cut piece by piece because I am designing as I build.

Here are some pics:

front view.jpg
rear view.jpg
side view.jpg

From Aaron Franklin's latest book, he says when talking about resting brisket ............

When the brisket is in the range of 140*, you can open and serve it, or , if you want to hold it longer put it into a 140* oven for two hours. At this point, the brisket won't get any better, so serve it as soon as you can.

I've not done a long hold on a brisket. I've thought about it but decided against it. For me, I don't see how I could tell the brisket was any better after 12 hours than after 2 hours. I'd have to do a side-by-side comparison which means slicing into the brisket after 2 hours.

The reason these barbecue joints hold brisket for so long, is they have to make space for other meats on the smokers before their service begins.

The only advantage for me would be pulling a brisket at 10 pm and be able to have it for lunch the next day.

But as to improving the brisket, I think I'll take Franklin's word for it.

Nothing new yet. I got tapped for another trip so I was delayed in coming home. Last week my well died and I had to buy a new tractor. I've been a little distracted.

I am hoping to work on this project this week and some on the weekend. I have to leave again next week and won't be back until the end of the month. Hopefully that is my last traveling I do for awhile.

I have a very large plastic tote with a locking lid. In the corner I cut out a hole big enough for the sous vide machine. Take for ever for the water to come up to temp. What I do is after the brisket is done cooking I will cut it into smaller pieces that I can vac seal. I then will add them to the large tote for as long as I need to. A 12 inch roll cut to the right size you can get away with just two bags.
20230710_072303.jpg

Nothing new yet. I got tapped for another trip so I was delayed in coming home. Last week my well died and I had to buy a new tractor. I've been a little distracted.

I am hoping to work on this project this week and some on the weekend. I have to leave again next week and won't be back until the end of the month. Hopefully that is my last traveling I do for awhile.
So I too am looking for a solution where I don’t have to ruin and seal my Sous vide in a cooler. Do you mind if I piggy back on your design and finish it? I believe I can complete it in a days worth, and I believe your design will work in a way where I can remove the sous vide. Just concerned about the water sealing aspect of it.

So I too am looking for a solution where I don’t have to ruin and seal my Sous vide in a cooler. Do you mind if I piggy back on your design and finish it? I believe I can complete it in a days worth, and I believe your design will work in a way where I can remove the sous vide. Just concerned about the water sealing aspect of it.

That is whole purpose of the design. I will be able to slide a 19" x 11" x 7" plastic sous vide container. The water will be inside. The box will not have any water touching the sides or bottom. The small portion that sticks out will hold the sous vide heater. I will have two lids. One for the top and one on the side for the sous vide container to be able slide in and out then secure.

That sir, is genius. I Never even thought about a container…..in a container. You plan on adding any foam insulation to the sides to retain some heat?

That sir, is genius. I Never even thought about a container…..in a container. You plan on adding any foam insulation to the sides to retain some heat?
Yes. The walls and lid will be foamed and I will have a gasket for both lids. I am going to use HVAC tape to line the inside. If all goes according to the plan in my head, it should be air tight.

I have a small update on this. It is progressing. Life gets in the way. Work has been busy.

I have fitted the inside with the walls. These are from some old left over siding. I have to purchase some spray foam, a gasket for the lid, and a gasket for the sous vide door. I am going to line the inside with HVAC tape. I don't want it to look like crap but it just hold meat in. I don't know what I am going to put on the outside.

202310131127301456087553490359304.jpg
202310131127452341213273130019847.jpg
202310131127551765669101236610630.jpg
20231013112804572354030961218141.jpg

I have a small update on this. It is progressing. Life gets in the way. Work has been busy.

I have fitted the inside with the walls. These are from some old left over siding. I have to purchase some spray foam, a gasket for the lid, and a gasket for the sous vide door. I am going to line the inside with HVAC tape. I don't want it to look like crap but it just hold meat in. I don't know what I am going to put on the outside.

View attachment 678383View attachment 678384View attachment 678385View attachment 678386
Looking real good. I’m the one that was going to try and replicate your design, but yes, life gets in the way. My thought was to buy clear plastic poly sheets, cut them to size, and either vinyl wrap or spay paint the poly sheet. Maybe vinyl wrap so it’s seamless. Any color in the spectrum, really.

what you need is a 'free to good home' non functioning wine fridge. Buy a TEM 12706 peltier chip for about $5 bucks. Then flip the peltier chip whe you install it so that it heats the inside of the cooler instead of cooling. Hook up a controller. bingo, done.

Greeting all and belated Happy New Year. I have some updated pics for this post. Life and work just got real busy and I have not had time to work on this project, post on the site, or smoke anything.

I still have to drill the hole for the sous vide heater and make the tunnel door and lid. My sous vide container will slide into the bottom and the sous vide heater will sit on top of the bottom ledge that sticks out. I foamed the cavities and lined the interior with HVAC tape. I have two rails for racks as well. I'll paint this thing in the spring.

I had most of the material lying around except for the HVAC tape, foam, 2 x 2 (Frame), gaskets, and hinges.

My plan for this is to hold briskets between 150 and 155 degrees for 24 hours before serving.

front.jpg
lid frame.jpg
side 1.jpg
side 2.jpg
sous vide tunnel.jpg
top view down.jpg

Reactions: culpepersmoke
I'm not really following how your build will work with water. Kind of elaborate IMO.

I have held 100# of smoked brisket pastrami in vac-seal bags using a 72 Qt. Ozark Trail ice chest (it is a thick insulated yeti knock off made by Wal-mart). I made a 2" thick tight fitting foam lid, cut a hole in the top for the sous vide machine. It held temp. great for 24 hours. Got it set up in about 15 minutes. Pastrami was a home run hit.

Seems like a lot over kill to me but I don't do a lot of briskets or anything that needs to sit in a cooler for a while. I just do the towel and cooler thing and that works for me.
Guess i'm just a amature with this holding for ages thing LOL

My MBS 40" will hold at whatever temp I need up to 275, not sure how much you need to hold

Reactions: 912smoker
I just made two briskets, cooked the day before the event. When done I double wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil and put them in my warming oven @140° until slice and serve time.

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky