KFC - Korean Fried Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
Every once in a while I love to make a nice batch of Koren Fried Chicken. It starts with a pre-mixed batter that you just need to add water to one half of it. If you don't have a Korean market you can order it thru Amazon.

I prefer this brand. Next to it is a tempura mix that I will also use separately.

2023_04_15_kfc_001.jpg

For the chicken I use breasts cut into 1/2" strips. I make a bowl of batter mixed with water to a consistency thinner than pancake mix. I get everything ready before frying.

2023_04_15_kfc_002.jpg

Dip it in the wet mix.

2023_04_15_kfc_003.jpg

Then in the dry mix.

2023_04_15_kfc_004.jpg

and into the vegetable oil at 325*.

2023_04_15_kfc_005.jpg

You can call it a day there since this is plenty tasty.

2023_04_15_kfc_006.jpg

Or you can spice it up a bit and make a variety pretty quickly. Here I made a simple honey mustard and a chili garlic and soy sauce.

2023_04_15_kfc_007.jpg

Add a few sesame seeds and now you have choices. For the shrimp and onion rings I watered down the wet mix to make it thinner then dipped it in the tempura mix dry.

2023_04_15_kfc_008.jpg

That is outstanding I've already looked those up on Amazon fixing to order

You will not regret ordering it and trying it out. One thing I left out was Ssamjang (or Gochujang) because I did not have any since our kitchen was just restored. Either one is a slightly spicy sauce with a tang that goes so well with Korean Fried Chicken. If you are ordering you might as well add one or both.

gochujang.jpg

My wife and I are making the 20 mile trip into the valley tomorrow and will go to a Korean and Japanese market so I will get both of them as well as many other things I was missing today.

On my list: Ssamjang, Gochujang, Kimchi, Banana Makgeolli and pickled radish.

I am a white boy from California that never tried Korean food until two years ago. Now I love it.

Last edited:
Nice and nice timing. My wife has gotten interested in fried chicken dishes so I've been looking for options to try.

I am a white boy from California that never tried Korean food until two years ago. Now I love it.
I lived in Seattle until 2001 and don't recall it. Appears to have hit the culinary radar screen in the past 10-15 years.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
We made it to the Japanese market but didn't buy much. The prices were kind of high.

2023_04_15_kfc_010.jpg

The we went to the nearby Korean market which is much larger with better prices. We got more than this but this was on my list.

2023_04_15_kfc_011.jpg

They have a pretty good food court. My wife got teriyaki chicken and I got a couple of Korean Corn Dogs. They are so much better that the American ones. One beef with potato and one half beef and half mozzarella.

2023_04_15_kfc_009.jpg

Reactions: Fueling Around
A few things I forgot to add in the previous pics.

2023_04_15_kfc_012.jpg

I love the high end beef like the one in the top left. The price did not seem that bad until I took a closer look once we were home. They trick you with the way it is displayed in the packaging.

The cost was $17.20 but when you look at the price per pound it was $39.99 per pound. OUCH!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky