Check this out!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I drilled a hole in the side of one of my Weber Kettles & put a Guru port in it. Had to test it out, so I threw on a have rack of ribs. Only used about 30 briquettes with some hickory chunks mixed in & there was still have of them left when the ribs were done. Here's a look

88f1e09c_Guruinkettle1.jpg

I thought the fan would be too big, but it worked just fine.

71811b8a_Guruinkettle3.jpg

Here's a look at the ribs after 3 hours, ready for foil.

cb3daf64_Guruinkettle4.jpg

Out of the foil & meat side down over the coals for a few minutes to get a nice crust on them.

7f532703_Guruinkettle5.jpg

Ready to cut up! They are really falling off the bone, but that's how we like them.

33db7406_Guruinkettle6.jpg

My next door neighbor smelled the ribs smoking, so I cut of a couple & took them next door. I was only gone a couple of minutes & the ribs were just about gone when I got back. So I took a couple of pics of what was left, then ate it.

4a85d0aa_Guruinkettle7.jpg

Here's a closer look.

224cbbc5_Guruinkettle8.jpg

I know it looks messy, not all plated up nice. But I really just started this thread to show you the Guru working on a kettle. 

Glad to see someone besides me has plenty of time on their hands...

Looks great Al!!

Craig

Nice close up shot Al......... they look delicious

Joe

Nice looking ribs Al. That is a neat mod as well, I need to send this to one of my friends who is a kettle fiend! He's gonna love that, especially since he keeps saying he want a dedicated smoker but the wife won't let him get another toy....poor fella HAHA

Chris

Hey Al,  is that the same size you use on the WSM. I jsut got one  I'm looking at the guru's for overnighters.

Yea it's the same setup. It's funny that you say you are gonna use the Guru for overnighters. That's exactly why I bought mine. But I don't fire up the WSM for any reason without the Guru now. It makes you lazy, but you can leave it for hours without worrying about the temps. The WSM is very stable without the Guru, but I'm kind of a fanatic about smoking & want to keep as many things constant as possible. With the guru you will keep the temp within a + or - 2 degree range, no matter what happens with the weather, or wind. As long as you have fuel it will hold the temp it's set at. I'm amazed when I go to BBQ contests how many guys rely on Guru's to control their pits.

Thanks Al,  I also figure it will eventually make me lazy as well, but I'm not going to let the wife know how easy it can be! I was just on their website & it was disappointing to see it would actually cost more then   I payed for the WSM itself?

icon_cool.gif

Now thats a cool looking guru. I'm sur eit works well or it looks like it did on the ribs atleast.

Very Interesting Al

I really like the idea of using a Guru

Now, you got me thinking?!?!?!?!?

Todd

Looks awesome!!!  I like the picture of the oranges hanging on the trees.  I was in California this year for work and saw oranges hanging on trees for the first time of my life.  A few local guys were laughing and I overheard them........."ha ha ha this guy has never seen oranges before."

224cbbc5_Guruinkettle8.jpg

I know it looks messy, not all plated up nice. But I really just started this thread to show you the Guru working on a kettle. 
Hi AL i don't care if it is messy i want a rib and i want it now
biggrin.gif
. you are right you are a meat guru.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky