Check this out!

Discussion in 'Pork' started by smokinal, Dec 15, 2011.

1. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I drilled a hole in the side of one of my Weber Kettles & put a Guru port in it. Had to test it out, so I threw on a have rack of ribs. Only used about 30 briquettes with some hickory chunks mixed in & there was still have of them left when the ribs were done. Here's a look

[​IMG]

I thought the fan would be too big, but it worked just fine.

[​IMG]

Here's a look at the ribs after 3 hours, ready for foil.

[​IMG]

Out of the foil & meat side down over the coals for a few minutes to get a nice crust on them.

[​IMG]

Ready to cut up! They are really falling off the bone, but that's how we like them.

[​IMG]

My next door neighbor smelled the ribs smoking, so I cut of a couple & took them next door. I was only gone a couple of minutes & the ribs were just about gone when I got back. So I took a couple of pics of what was left, then ate it.

[​IMG]

Here's a closer look.

[​IMG]

I know it looks messy, not all plated up nice. But I really just started this thread to show you the Guru working on a kettle. 

2. nwdave

nwdave Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Interesting thought.  I really like those orange ornaments you have hanging on the tree.  Are they natural or do you hang them up early to remind us Northerners of warmer climes.

3. You're making me hungry Al. Lookin good.

4. michael ark

michael ark Master of the Pit

[​IMG]

5. Cool idea Al !!! If a guy could get a 12 inch ring that fit on the grill he could make a 2 rack mini WSM. Those ribs look fantastic btw...[​IMG]

6. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Glad to see someone besides me has plenty of time on their hands...

Looks great Al!!

Craig

7. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Nice close up shot Al......... they look delicious

Joe

8. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Man those look tasty AL - great job.

9. papagreer

papagreer Meat Mopper

Nice looking ribs Al. That is a neat mod as well, I need to send this to one of my friends who is a kettle fiend! He's gonna love that, especially since he keeps saying he want a dedicated smoker but the wife won't let him get another toy....poor fella HAHA

Chris

10. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hey Al,  is that the same size you use on the WSM. I jsut got one  I'm looking at the guru's for overnighters.

11. smokinal

Yea it's the same setup. It's funny that you say you are gonna use the Guru for overnighters. That's exactly why I bought mine. But I don't fire up the WSM for any reason without the Guru now. It makes you lazy, but you can leave it for hours without worrying about the temps. The WSM is very stable without the Guru, but I'm kind of a fanatic about smoking & want to keep as many things constant as possible. With the guru you will keep the temp within a + or - 2 degree range, no matter what happens with the weather, or wind. As long as you have fuel it will hold the temp it's set at. I'm amazed when I go to BBQ contests how many guys rely on Guru's to control their pits.

12. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thanks Al,  I also figure it will eventually make me lazy as well, but I'm not going to let the wife know how easy it can be! I was just on their website & it was disappointing to see it would actually cost more then   I payed for the WSM itself?

13. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Now thats a cool looking guru. I'm sur eit works well or it looks like it did on the ribs atleast.

14. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very Interesting Al

I really like the idea of using a Guru

Now, you got me thinking?!?!?!?!?

Todd

15. tiki guy

tiki guy Smoking Fanatic

WOW ! I like it Al !   ( I love the outcome MMMMM ) where did ya find that ?  got a website ?

16. bluebombersfan

bluebombersfan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks awesome!!!  I like the picture of the oranges hanging on the trees.  I was in California this year for work and saw oranges hanging on trees for the first time of my life.  A few local guys were laughing and I overheard them........."ha ha ha this guy has never seen oranges before."

17. smokinal

Here you go: http://www.thebbqguru.com/

18. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Hi AL i don't care if it is messy i want a rib and i want it now[​IMG] . you are right you are a meat guru.

19. zzerru

zzerru Meat Mopper

Wow! those look amazing, and I've never seen the guru before. Very cool!

20. dewetha

dewetha Smoking Fanatic

pretty cool and great looking ribs!