Catering question? 80 people

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 21, 2017
south central Pennsylvania
Alright so i just got done cooking those 15 lb chuckies, check out that thread!, was 30lbs of beef... ended with 17lbs and 6ozs of finished meat, this Monday/ Tuesday I'll be cooking up the pork butts, about 40 lbs worth( so I'm assuming20-25lbs of finished pork) . Do you guys think I'll need any more chuck roast? We're having mac n cheese, corn bread, cowboy beans which is basically a bbq chili.... what you guys think?

Reactions: JLeonard
I think you are good for 80. Right on the mark, I use a pound of pre-cook per adult, if you have kids in the mix you are fine. If you don't you are probably still fine..

Is this going to be serve yourself or will you have people serving it and controlling portion sizes?

Sorry if I missed it but is the meat being served on buns?

i would try to shoot for closer to half lb of meat per person, especially sandwiches.. little wonderbread/slider buns 2/person

starches at the front of the line, then the beans, then the buns and meat. with any luck the sandwiches will be stacked on a very full plate. i would 100% consider adding coleslaw as cheap as cabbage and mayo is, put it right before the buns.

Sounds as though you will half 1/2 lbs of finished meat per person between the chuck and pork plus buns and sides. I’d think that will be good. If leftovers are desired you will need to cook more.

I think you'll have enough it may be close depending on portion control but don't think people will go away hungry

Reactions: Hamdrew and jcam222
i think thats the most important thing- nobody will leave hungry

if you wanted backup meat to cook quick, you could get some butts sliced thin ("pork steaks"). Cheaper than hotdogs or obviously burgers, no bun necessary, and the uneven nature of pork steaks- meaning some parts will inevitably be a little tough-alone helps.

With a mixed crowd, you will be fine. If your group is mostly Men and/or Teen Boys you are right on the edge. Providing Toppings for your Q Sammies helps too. Coleslaw, Sliced Pickles, Onions, whatever is common in your area, turns a little meat on a bun into a Giant Sandwich...JJ

Reactions: smokinq13
Just to play it safe, im gonna get two more small chuck roasts and two more pork butts. The ones that they got me are on the small side, like none of them are above 10lbs, doing up some slaw would be a great addition as well! Kinda the cherry on top, lots of good information, there's a reason way i always come here for all my questions. This is the forum where everyone is literally family

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky