Son's Grad Party - Say A Prayer For Me!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pi guy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
SE Michigan
A while back a bunch of you were VERY helpful answering some questions I had about pork butts for my son's grad party on the 16th of this month. Since then I've been hard at work trying to perfect the process. Well, we're a week away and this has snowballed into us doing just about every part of the meal for 100+ people. The wife decided to do all the sides and cupcakes herself. Our very first time attempting anything like this. Here's a rundown of what we're doing. I'll add pics as they are available (been too focused on cooking to take pics until now, so apologies, but will step it up for y'all!). This is a work in progress, hope you don't mind.

PULLED PORK:
So far have smoked 7 butts, average of 8 lbs each, on 3 different occasions
Suctioned juices and put in container and into the fridge. Pulled pork and put in containers and into the fridge for a day.
Pulled meat and juices out next day, defatted juices and mixed with meat.
Put meat into vac bags (about 3-4 lbs per package) and into the freezer. Currently have 40 lbs of finished meat.
Have 2 more large butts to smoke this Sunday, will do the same procedure as above. Plan to yield about 10-11 lbs more for grand total of 50 lbs finished meat.
Plan is to water bath the bags (in a roaster) the morning of the party, get them up to temp and fill chafing pans with heated meat. Keep the remaining meat in water bath and open the bags to refill the chafing pan as needed.
Here is what is done so far:
20220708_180608.jpg

ICE:
Yes, ice. Figured we needed a TON of ice for drinks, for under cold dishes, etc. so wife bought a table top ice maker (figured we'll use it throughout the sumemrs with kids' sports, boating, etc). We've been busily making bags of ice (bought bags on Amazon) and put in our freezer.
Here's what we have so far:
20220708_180613.jpg

In the coming days I'll update the following with recipes and some pics.

4 CHEESE MAC N CHEESE:

SMOKED DEVILED EGGS:

BBQ PIT BEANS:

TORTELLINI OLIVE SALAD:

FRESH CORN SALAD:

CANDIED BACON:

DECORATIONS:

Thanks for looking, wish us luck!

Very nice gesture from you and your wife tackling this project. You got it figured out it sounds like.

Reactions: pi guy
Awesome what your wife and you are doing, best of luck that all goes well for you and that the party is a huge success!

Reactions: pi guy
pi guy pi guy , remember to have fun too. Don’t get so busy you forget to enjoy the day. Have a friend or someone help keep an eye on the food. I saw my cousin miss a lot of her daughters party being too worried about things, even with me watching the hot food.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
What was that address again? I think a few of us will offer to show up and help watch the food...disappear! Lol. Sounds like you have this under control. And have fun like the others have said!

Ryan

Pi, sounds like you have it under control. The menu sounds great!

Hope you get some sleep over the next week.
LOL, thank you! I have a full week of work travel this coming week (I'm in Sales). Plus just found out about a funeral Monday, and daughter's softball 2 nights. Yeah.

pi guy pi guy , remember to have fun too. Don’t get so busy you forget to enjoy the day. Have a friend or someone help keep an eye on the food. I saw my cousin miss a lot of her daughters party being too worried about things, even with me watching the hot food.

Thank you, and yes we do need to remember to have fun too!
We've had some great parties over the years, but never cooked this much. We used to be great party hosts but always stressed too much for weeks before, only to find that everything turned out perfect.
Guess we need to just relax a little and trust the process and know that no matter what we'll have friends and family around us all day.

What was that address again? I think a few of us will offer to show up and help watch the food...disappear! Lol. Sounds like you have this under control. And have fun like the others have said!

Ryan
LOL yeah for sure!! Come by, if your in the Detroit area!

Planning on a 5am start tomorrow for the final 2 butts. Got them scored, panned, rubbed and wrapped into the fridge.
Sorry, doing this from my phone. Pics may not be in chronological order.

Attachments

• 20220709_223609.jpg
    20220709_223609.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220709_223602.jpg
    20220709_223602.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220709_223431.jpg
    20220709_223431.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220709_223025.jpg
    20220709_223025.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220709_224812.jpg
    20220709_224812.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220709_224440.jpg
    20220709_224440.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 19
You jumped in with both feet! I like it. If it were me since you have saved the liquid gold to mix in I would probably just warm the meat straight in the toaster pans and mix it in as needed.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky