Cabot Cheddar Cheese: Smoked

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Had a gorgeous day yesterday. Sunny, minimal winds and high was supposed to hit the mid-fifties. So I figured it was time to do my last spring cheese smoke.

I was running out of sharp cheddar so: Eight blocks of Seriously Sharp, 3 blocks of Extra Sharp and one block each of Farmhouse reserve and Alpine. Close to six pounds.
DSC00917.JPG

All layed out on the cheese grate:
DSC00919.JPG

Fire up the maze with apple dust:
DSC00921.JPG

...and onto the WSM:
DSC00923.JPG

Well all was not well in Whoville. Remember I mentioned earlier that the temps were supposed to be in the mid-fifties. It actually got up to seventy-two. Here's a perfect example of cheese sweats(caused by smoking at higher temps). This is after about 3.5 hours of smoke I'm guessing because my maze went out somewhere in the first hour, before I realized it.
DSC00927.JPG

All is not lost I just let her ride on the counter for a few hours then in the fridge for an overnight nap. They look a whole lot better. Now they're all vacuum sealed up for future use.

DSC00929.JPG

Thanks for taking a peek.

Chris

Attachments

• DSC00928.JPG
    DSC00928.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC00920.JPG
    DSC00920.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 14
I've never smoked cheese. Only critters and veggies. I can see this in my future. We have some local creameries.

Looks good. I'm thinking about one more cheese smoke yet.

Thanks Steve, be careful you don't wait to long. Thanks for the like also.

Nice recover. looks great.

Warren

Thanks Warren for the like and nice words - appreciate them. I was worried for spell.

Chris

looks good, darn that mother nature or meteorologist

Thanks Jim, Mother nature always has a way of keeping us in check.

I've never smoked cheese. Only critters and veggies. I can see this in my future. We have some local creameries.

Thanks and give it whirl Turtle, I pretty sure you'll like the outcome.

Chris

looks Good!

I have 8# of Cabot extra sharp cheddar and 1# of mozzarella in going right now.

I'm in for the cheddar, not a big fan of mozzarella. Be sure to post it up when your done. Thanks for the like JJS.

Chris

Looks really good! My favorite cheese.

Thanks Denny, Cheddar is our favorite also. I do like to mix in a few batches of Jack every so often.

Chris

It looks good got to love those great forecasts. Seems they are wrong more than correct around here

5DE5FA41-D0C2-4BEC-A658-DF726A9A0BDA.jpeg
I'm in for the cheddar, not a big fan of mozzarella. Be sure to post it up when your done. Thanks for the like JJS.

Chris

Well here it is, I put the chunk of mozzarella in the bottom of the pic to show the color difference. The lighting sucks
I usually mix the mozzarella 1oz per 8oz of whole milk mozzarella on pizzas. It’s just enough smoke to know it’s there that way

Reactions: fullborebbq
Looks great. I didnt do any this year, still some left. I should do some thou.

Chris , nice job on the cheese . I've been known to sweat like that the morning after a " night of fun " .

It looks good got to love those great forecasts. Seems they are wrong more than correct around here

Thanks piney, Yeah I'd love a job where I can be wrong fifty percent of the time.

View attachment 393278

Well here it is, I put the chunk of mozzarella in the bottom of the pic to show the color difference. The lighting sucks
I usually mix the mozzarella 1oz per 8oz of whole milk mozzarella on pizzas. It’s just enough smoke to know it’s there that way

Your cheese took on some wonderful color JJS, Nicely done.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky