Butts away!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 13, 2017
Saugus, California
Wammer Jammer Thank You Mammer!
Decided I wanted to do a Pulled Pork, so got a Boston Butt at Sam's the other day.
I was waiting for a good window to do it up in the MES 30, and today was that day. (Just one pull this morning, and nothing until 5 AM tomorrow. Strike while the iron is hot!)
So read through lots here, and jumped in without looking. Hope I don't land in the rocks.
So far it's going along smooth and steady. ThermoPro is keeping me on the edge with great temperature working along.
The infamous MES control is about 10 degrees high on a rough average, so at a 215° setting, it's been bobbing along around 225 - 226° Average. So I can not complain about my temperature during this Butt Burning cook. (Low has been ~209° - Highs 243° = 225-226° Average.)
I seasoned my 6.66# Butt (Yep, triple 6's :confused:) up with my infamous rub, and gonna let her fly till the cows come home. Haven't opened the MES for a peek since I clamped the door closed with about 4 hours of Applewood Pellets in the AMNPS Mailbox Mod. TBS rolling along, temperature of my Butt is steadily walking the walk up the scale.
So now I want to whip up some sauce to fill my squirt bottle with.
If this comes out have as good as I hope it will, I may become a Butt Boy and a Porker Deluxe.
I already Love doing Pork Loin Jerky.

Grandma was worried I was going to do such a big piece of meat, but when I 'splained it was the smallest butt they had, and only a Buck -30 a pound, and bone in, she said well cook the whole thing.
I reinforced her approval with I could freeze the done Pulled Pork for later dinners. So Ima doin my best to not disappoint her.

If you have a PP sauce you Love, Please share it. I have a spare squeeze bottle to put it in.
I'm droolin thinkin about the finish line.

Hope your Sunday is at least half as good as mine!

Reactions: gmc2003
Just remember when it hits 205f Internal Temp, and the bone wiggles/falls out easy, she's done Sonny!

The one thing is at 225f as yer goal temp for the smoker's heat..you are looking at a 16+ hour smoke. If you plan to just stay up and power through, might as well crank her to 275f so it'll be done before you want to pass out in a comfy chair!

Looking forward to pictures..!

Reactions: SonnyE
Just remember when it hits 205f Internal Temp, and the bone wiggles/falls out easy, she's done Sonny!

The one thing is at 225f as yer goal temp for the smoker's heat..you are looking at a 16+ hour smoke. If you plan to just stay up and power through, might as well crank her to 275f so it'll be done before you want to pass out in a comfy chair!

Looking forward to pictures..!

Thank You Tom!
I'm actually doing well with cat naps, road grub, and burning Diesel like a big rig.
So since I have this window Sunday, it's pulled pork, and Pork Loin Jerky in the Dehydro making some Pork Jerky.
You could accurately say I am Pigging Out this Sunday. LMAO!
Heading out to ram the heat to 275°. My Butt is at 150° as we speak.
Done! The heat is ON! I'm 5 hours in right now.

Thank You Tom!
I'm actually doing well with cat naps, road grub, and burning Diesel like a big rig.
So since I have this window Sunday, it's pulled pork, and Pork Loin Jerky in the Dehydro making some Pork Jerky.
You could accurately say I am Pigging Out this Sunday. LMAO!
Heading out to ram the heat to 275°. My Butt is at 150° as we speak.
Done! The heat is ON! I'm 5 hours in right now.
Yah my new method is to just start at midnight at 225f, I wake up then crank it to 275f and it's done in 4-5 hours then. I could do true hot and fast too, and have, works well. I just don't mind running overnight because I know if I want I can rush it in the AM if I wanted.

Copied and pasted the recipe, Chile.
Thank You! Heading for the Kitchen to put some together right now.

Done!
Substituted some Boil seasoning for the Tony's.
This is either going to be some Kick-Ass Pulled Butt,
or I'll be chewing butt for a week.
Either way, I'm having fun on my "day off".
(After "Frantic Friday", and "Silly Saturday", a one pull Sunday is like a day off.
Well sortta, kinda....)

I'm loving the scent coming out my Sm0ke Stack!

Copied and pasted the recipe, Chile.
Thank You! Heading for the Kitchen to put some together right now.

Done!
Substituted some Boil seasoning for the Tony's.
This is either going to be some Kick-Ass Pulled Butt,
or I'll be chewing butt for a week.
Either way, I'm having fun on my "day off".
(After "Frantic Friday", and "Silly Saturday", a one pull Sunday is like a day off.
Well sortta, kinda....)

I'm loving the scent coming out my Sm0ke Stack!
I personally feel you can never truly screw up pork butt from a seasoning stand point... and I don't have an exact recipe persay, but I like Carolina style mustard sauce. That vinegary tang just compliments pulled pork well. Throw some of that and slaw on a bun and man..that is some good eatin!

I don't see any pic's - so I thinks this a just a fantasy of SonnyE's. :)

If memory serves me correctly this is the first time that Sunny has put his Butt on the line. Let us know how it turns out Sonny. It sounds like you have a solid plan of attack.

Chris

20180923_195818[1].jpg

Just out of the stall, and starting to climb again. :p

Hey, you said you needed a picturd....
Or did you want one of the closed door on the MES? LOL!

Thanks Guys!
Yep, it was crawling along at 10 PM here. 197°
I had to get some sleep for a 03:30 gittie up.
So I opened the MES for the first and only time in 12 hours.
The whole back yard was filled with this wonderful aroma, and promised good things to come.
I pawed at the crusty hunk of Boston Butt residing in the smoker on a center shelf.
The shredder just slipped right through the bark into soft, done meat....
Oh Yeah! Time to pull it and take it in to see what I had. Not was I disappointed either!
I put it into one of the biggest bowls we have that has a lid. And began clawing at it. My little buddy was staring up at me with the biggest eyes, his nose had been waiting since the morning for some Butt to chew. (Which is a stretch being as he is toothless.)
20180923_221403[1].jpg

I began clawing at it, not really knowing how to break it down, and looking for the bone.

20180923_221547[1].jpg

Found it and lifted it out of the hunk of steaming pork. Yep, it came out that clean. Gave me real joy at "Fall off the Bone" wonderful.

So I tried to figure out how to claw the bark and meat into a pile of shredded Pork.
Turned out like this:

20180923_223322[1].jpg

I added the whole batch of the finishing sauce you linked for me Chile. It tasted so good, I just took the top off my squeeze bottle and dumped it in. Then with food service gloves, massaged it in and around between hollerin Ow!
That was some hot Butt!

So I have my clean up at the MES to take care of this morning, and the packaging of the Butt for later, but of course holding some for today.
I like it fine like it is. But we'll see how it is with some additional BBQ Sauce added.

For my first Boston Butt I have to say I am very pleased with how it came out, how easy it was to do, and how I just dove in without much prep.
I did rinse it after taking the packaging off, and final rinsed it with our filtered water from our reverse osmosis water system. I left it at that, and set it on a rack and mat for the smoker.
I have my rub I like, and simply gave the butt a good coating all over. Then poked the ThermoPro meat probe in the middle. Ready to slide the rack in and start cookin.
After putting the rack and Boston Butt in the MES, and mounting the external probe to the rack, I closed the MES set for 225° and never opened it again.
I fired up my AMNPS with one row of Applewood pellets in it (Treager Brand). Approximately 4 hours of smoke. I read here that many like the flavor of Applewood Smoke, and maybe my stand on Hickory is a bit to strong for others. So I'm trying to get a more subtle smoke finish. And I do believe it worked.
I like it, the dog was nuts for it (I finally gave him some in a small bowl), and even the wife liked it. And she isn't much for smoked stuff. So I'll take it, I'll take that approval.
Learned some with this, and always seem to learn more with each Smoke.

I think Tom has a good idea in starting a big hunk like this around Midnight, then bumping up the heat the next morning. Sorry Tom, I couldn't reach your 205° magic temperature. After 12 hours, with a delivery to do at 5 AM, I had to call the game early. Future Butts will afford me more time and planning.

Chile's lead to that finishing sauce gives the pulled pork a wonderful, mild flavor that just wakes it up as it melts away in your mouth. And it didn't add any heat in my estimation, just does what it sez, Finishing the Pulled Pork, with a delightful flavor.
Edit In: The Wife sez today it is a bit spicy and hot for her tastes. But that it is very good. :rolleyes::D
I'm betting that after setting overnight in the fridge to let the flavors all marry there is some Prime Piggy to enjoy today.
I'm looking forward to taste-testing with some BBQ sauces today to see what delights await this prime Butt.

If there was any disappointments to note from me, it would only be one. I wish I'd grabbed a bigger Butt!
Next time, I'll be bolder and more confident. After all, grabbing these Butts won't ever get me into a "Me, Too!" situation. ;)

small-logo.png

....what an adventure in Good Tastes! :D

Last edited:
Well there ya go Sonny. You put out a terrific looking butt for all of us to enjoy, and best of all Feinstein isn't knocking down your door accusing you of excessive butt rubbing.

Nice Job, the PP looks perfect.

Point for sure.
Chris

Well there ya go Sonny. You put out a terrific looking butt for all of us to enjoy, and best of all Feinstein isn't knocking down your door accusing you of excessive butt rubbing.

Nice Job, the PP looks perfect.

Point for sure.
Chris

Thanks Chris!
Yes Sir, one down, and I think more to go.
Easy to do, in my estimation.
Open, rinse, season, cook............, shred, finish sauce, cover, and pass out. o_O
(Those 12 dots are an hour of wondering apiece...)

Do you do any Sous Vide? I was thinking this might make great freezer bags for Sous Vide reheating for quick and easy dinners. :rolleyes:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky