building a smoke house

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

supercajun

Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
hi everyone, new member here but i have been a lurker for some time. im finally going to start building my smokehouse. i really like pops build and im going to follow his design with a little tweaking. my question is what material should i build this house out of? i have read that some people dont use the plywood because of the glue seeping out at higher temps. i dont mind using tongue and grove pine boards but using plywood would be much cheaper as i already have a few sheets laying around.

Hey SuperCajun, just read your post. I am a carpenter and i would agree that using plywood is not the best idea for a smokehouse with the food. niether would pressure treated wood. pine would be a good idea. its probably the cheapest you will get. if you want to use plywood on the exterior, that would be ok but put something on the inside so no glues or chemicals are inside with the food. any kind of cheap paneling or tongue and groove is fine. the cheaper the better. let me know how it goes or any other questions.

Cromag

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky