Cold Smoke House Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmilinNSmokin

Original poster
Nov 23, 2023
Still looking at ideas from previous posts for a new Cold Smokehouse build. I am still a tad concerned about too much heat. Will probably use a combination of ideas from Cowgirl and atcnicks smokehouses but still have questions. I may build a firebox or use an old wood stove I have laying around. Will probably run 8 feet of 6” or 4” pipe with a damper near the firebox. I have an option to buy a couple 3” square pipes that are 8’ long and wondered about running both side by side with dampers and could close one to reduce heat output. Thoughts? Will run pipe underground and/or invaded in concrete to help cool the smoke. Not sure with the design if feasible to put cheeses and such below the level of input smoke or not? I have also contemplated a side chamber inside smokehouse with venting for smoke but away from main chamber where smoke comes in. Curious if I am overthinking this. Just mainly thing smoke needs to be below 100 degrees in the smokehouse since I am not wanting to cook the stuff I will be smoking. There’s a lot of experience in here so would appreciate input / advice…

Reactions: tmag and JLeonard
Just throwing this out…. If you just cold smoking why not just go with a smoke tube?

Jim

Just throwing this out…. If you just cold smoking why not just go with a smoke tube?

Jim
I could do that, but wanted to make a smokehouse for the property for smoking deer, elk, pigs, poultry and fish, so wanted something nice and I like the idea of a separate fire pit. Several in the forum do both cold and hot smoking so figured I would ask. Will probably make a separate Georgia Hot Smoker / Smokehouse with just cinder blocks, a coal pit underneath a wire grill rack and a simple covering… to smoke/cook meats, fish and poultry. So just having fun making something nice to enjoy…

Reactions: JLeonard
One I built.

I ended up putting a Traeger pellet burner to the side.
Draw vent on bottom, vent on top with damper.

mysmh6.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky