Brown Sugar in a pellet tube

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Polka

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
Glenwood, Upshur Co., Tx
Howdy All

Been thru several Andouille threads. The successful ones add brown sugar over their chips in their chip tray.

There were some un-answered questions regarding ability to successfully use brown sugar in a tube or tray mixed in, or over the top.

Any one able to share success stories, or miserable defeats, or helpful suggestions??

Thanks for your time and trouble.

Appreciate you all.

Rex
aka POLKA

I think sugar in burning chips is going to impart a nasty result.
It's going to burn and stink, melt and make a huge mess on your chip tray.
What were you hoping to do by burning the sugar?

Reactions: Hawging It
Howdy All

Been thru several Andouille threads. The successful ones add brown sugar over their chips in their chip tray.

There were some un-answered questions regarding ability to successfully use brown sugar in a tube or tray mixed in, or over the top.

Any one able to share success stories, or miserable defeats, or helpful suggestions??

Thanks for your time and trouble.

Appreciate you all.

Rex
aka POLKA
Rex I don't have any advice for you on this , but you are correct . I have read about the old timers using brown sugar with the smoking wood .

Rex I don't have any advice for you on this , but you are correct . I have read about the old timers using brown sugar with the smoking wood .

Yes, and some of those threads are less than a year old. Just wondering what has happened since.

I have a friend on hospice, who would like a batch of andouille. I wanted to do it up right. Sugar cane for smoke is mostly out.

Do you suppose an asian market, or mexican market might have a small bundle of sugar cane?

I also suppose that sugar + pellets will just fall thru, and make a mess. But, then...............

As to making a smoldering mess, Several on this board add brown sugar over the top of their chips in the pan, and it makes for a sweet, black smoke. And, that is what they are looking for, too.

Just wondering.
Thanks Chop
R

I haven't looked in a long time , but most grocery stores around me sold it in the produce section . The stalks not granule .

I haven't looked in a long time , but most grocery stores around me sold it in the produce section . The stalks not granule .

I used to see sugar cane in stores years ago but not now at least in my neck of the woods.
Same thing with chicken livers.

Never tried it but I know Chinese Tea Smoked Duck uses Tea, Sugar and Rice to make a flavorful smoke. It is not bitter at all. Can't comment on the mess it would make in a maze or tube though. I have only made small batches Stove Top. All the smoke ingredient go in a foil pouch with holes in it. There definitely is a sticky mess in the foil...JJ

I think I will stick with smoking being smoking. Wood, smoldering to impart a smoked flavor into whatever seasoned, cured, or prepared food I want to smoke.
In other words, flavor the food, not the smoke.

Thanks much to everyone for your input. I will probably do the foil pouch bit. I appreciate the remarks, also, about flavoring the meat, not the smoke.

Traditional smoked andouille from Louisiana is smoked with sugar cane and pecan. Most folks trying to do this as traditional as possible use cane if they can find it, or pour some brown sugar over their chips. I was just asking for advice from those who have done this style of smoking successfully, for how I might do the same.

I think I will warm smoke them with the foil packet in the chip tray. I'm going to check the produce sections for cane, and I'll get my hatchet out and make my some pecan chips.

The lady is in hospice. I'm doing this as traditionally as I can for her. She is dear, and sweet, and an excellent cook / chef herself. She knows what I'm doing for her. She never made them, but always bought them. I am going to make them for her. She has not a lot of time left in this world.

Thanks again for your time and trouble to share your advice and opinions.

Rex -- aka POLKA

I'll be using the stock chip tray. Actually it is a Smoky Mountain 26 inch, but you get the right idea of the tray in Mes. Will this make a difference? Originally I was wondering if it were possible to use a pellet tube, or an ampns tray with sugar mixed in the pellets, or placed on top of it. I was guessing not, and asked the question in case there was a method of using it that escaped me. Checked the threads before posting but couldn't determine an answer, so I posted my question to you all.

I appreciate the opportunity to post here, and get the help I need. You've all been good help.
Thanks
Rex

I do not know if it will get hot enough to burn off the sugar. You can try it, just don't put so much that is smothers the fire to the point you start getting white smoke like burning leaves....

Rex , not sure how fast you're wanting to do this , but I'll make a few stops in the morning and see what I can find . Let you know tomorrow .

Thanks--but, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I'm finishing up, and smoking a batch of bacon Sunday / Tues for her, and she's giving me the meat for the andouille. I'll get to it probably in the next two weeks give or take.

You make it sound like if you find something you will drop by with it. (Hate communicating like this sometimes -- ) I live in east Texas, north of Longview, south of Gilmer.

Take care
Rex

Well I won't drop by , to far to drive , but if I find some stalks I can send it to ya .

Thanks for your kindness. I'll have a chance to look around, myself, over the next couple of days. Hope we have some sort of success. Otherwise, I'll do the foil packet in the chip tray thing.

Thanks for your consideration! R

Wouldn't burning sugar taste like burnt marshmellow? I think I might like that! :emoji_wink:

Well -- we can call the dogs off for right now. The plans have changed, so won't be doing andouille for her right now.

Thanks again for the advice and suggestions! I will make some andouille later next month. My son is about to use up the rest of his stash.

R

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky