Howzit from Cape Town, South Africa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bobthedino83

Original poster
Apr 13, 2022
Hi, everyone.
I'm a middle aged dude from Cape Town, South Africa who's slowly been getting into the bbq/meat smoking thing and I'm hoping to learn a few things here.
Stuff that may be relevant:
Born and raised in suburban Cape Town, SA (South Africa). We have a huge meat eating culture. We actually have a national holiday called National Braai Day (aka Heritage Day). It's not unusual for families to braai at least once a week but often more, usually for dinner.
A Braai is a South African BBQ - it's an open fire bbq that uses wood as a fuel source to create a bed of coals over which meat is cooked on a steel grid. Many apartment dwellers and people with a more English heritage might resort to using kettle braais like Webers with charcoal briquettes, we don't associate with those folks. "Braai" is both a noun and a verb, yes.

As for smoking meats, that's still a relatively new thing here. We do have a handful of restaurants around the greater Cape Town area that serve a selection of smoked meats and everyone who goes there LOVES the food. But uptake is slow in the home-smoker market due to the barrier to entry being pretty high in terms of initial costs (this is a poor country) as well as the time investment that smoking meat can often require. Basically, if you own a smoker or especially a Kamado (import) type smoker you're either very enthusiastic about smoking meat or have a lot of spending money so, also probably middle aged or retired.

I moved into a new house 3 years ago and there was no braai (many, many houses have built-in braais in a "braai room" (patio-ish area)) and I didn't possess a decent mobile braai (essentially a large metal tray on wheels with some fittings to hold a grid). So I said F-it and bought a Kamado Joe as I'd been eyeing one for quite some time. We have our own version of Kamado Joe called Kamado Jan, looks the same, same fittings and layout.
This got me into the world of smoking meats.
I've done a few briskets, with about a 50% success rate. Lots of pork belly-ribs. Pork belly burnt ends. A few chickens. And even a springbok (a type of buck) leg for xmas one time.
I don't have a proper offset or cabinet smoker (yet). The effort that I've seen go into cooking with those scares me. I do have a few friends that have those and I've been keeping an eye on what's involved when cooking on those.
Looking forward to learning from the OG smokers on this forum.

Cheers

An aside on meat in SA for those who are interested - we're big on beef, but our beef is nothing like US feedlot cattle. We don't have facilities like those and most of our beef would probably qualify as "free-range" in the States. Hence our biggest briskets are about half the size of the ones I see on youtube smoking vids. Wagyu is only recently available here, some local farmers have imported a line of wagyu cows and recently I got my hands on my first two wagyu briskets which I'm REALLY excited about. Our usual briskets are a lot leaner that what seems to be available in the States so it's a real challenge not drying them out. So much so that I've started cooking the flat and the tip separately, otherwise the tip is juicy and the flat is dry.
In terms of what is normally cooked on a braai over here:
Beef - steak(s) and wors (traditional type of sausage made with sheep gut for casing and traditionally lots of coriander seeds)
Pork - chops, spare ribs (marinated), sausages (bangers), sausages with extra fillings like cheese, smoked pork meats (like bacon) twirled around kebab sticks and marinated
Chicken - pieces and spatchcock, usually heavily marinated
Lamb - chops, chops, and more chops, and some ribs. The legs are usually reserved for the oven and the neck, bones etc for "potjie" (another traditional stew type thing).
Kebabs or Espetadas - all of the above meats cut into chunks and stuck on a wooden stick with some vegetables (bell peppers, onions, etc) in between. Usually heavily marinated.
A final word on South African lamb. We have a unique form of lamb here called "Karoo" lamb, named for the Karoo region it comes from - a semi arid region with a unique type of flora. Karoo lamb ideally grows up eating the indigenous plants almost exclusively and as a result the meat has a very unique, tasty flavour because they've basically been spiced their whole life. Compared to Karoo lamb normal lamb or mutton tastes like sheep smell, if you ask me.

Hi, and welcome from Iowa! Glad you joined us. Great and interesting introduction. Lot's to learn here and lots of good people sharing information.

Ryan

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome Bob!!
A Very interesting Intro!
Glad you joined with us!
Any questions---Just Ask.

Bear----from SouthEast Pennsylvania

Welcome from Wisconsin.

Just got done watching the Ultimate Braai Master on Netflix. Just loved the mellow energy of the contestants. Made me want to take a trip to S. Africa. Such a land of beauty. The food that they cooked was amazing as well. Made me want to bake up a batch of Malva pudding for myself.

Looking forward to seeing your Braai adventures and possibly some of the amazing African scenery.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: JLeonard
greetings from Mississippi! Look forward to your post and pics! Would love some pics of SA as I’ll probably never get to visit that area of the world.
Jim

Welcome to SMF, from California. America is just beginning to catch on to braai. There’s a company here called Kudu Grills that’s leading the way and they have an interesting story. I was captivated and intrigued so I bought one this year. I absolutely love it. Cooking over wood, not charcoal, is unique and incredibly tasty. I expected tasty meat but I was not expecting how incredible vegetables taste over a pure wood fire.

A mixing of cultures expands our minds but it also expands our culinary norms and preferences. I’m glad you’re here as we are all learning from each other. Americans in general like our food fast. Nothing on this forum is fast and neither neither is braai. I’ve often thought another name for this site could be Slow Meat Forum because what is shared here goes beyond smoking meat. We’ve all learned that whatever the method, be it braai, bacon, or any amazing that indaswamp indaswamp makes takes patience and care.

We’re glad you’re here and we look forward to seeing pictures of your work and learning from you.

640E1A17-DB1E-4B66-B1CA-6A4B09D41F55.jpeg

E437D57F-0B70-4710-901B-AE21E6EE2A75.jpeg

D62FC441-351A-4562-B045-018A96D130EF.jpeg

Welcome aboard! Great intro. Hung out with a band from South Africa that was playing the base and local hotels during a port visit in Bahrain years ago. Good times!

Welcome from NC. I look forward to seeing how you all do it in your part of the world.

Welcome aboard! Great intro. Hung out with a band from South Africa that was playing the base and local hotels during a port visit in Bahrain years ago. Good times!
Mr W. That sounds like a story worthy of a post.

Welcome from Virginia! Great intro, a lot to learn here with some great people, also looking forward to learning from you!

Welcome Home, they host pictures here and it's very easy to attach them, some folks require a picture or it didn't happen lol

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Welcome Bob from Indiana. You've come the the right place.
Enjoyed your write up regarding SA and the differences.

Hi, everyone.
I'm a middle aged dude from Cape Town, South Africa who's slowly been getting into the bbq/meat smoking thing and I'm hoping to learn a few things here.
Stuff that may be relevant:
Born and raised in suburban Cape Town, SA (South Africa). We have a huge meat eating culture. We actually have a national holiday called National Braai Day (aka Heritage Day). It's not unusual for families to braai at least once a week but often more, usually for dinner.
A Braai is a South African BBQ - it's an open fire bbq that uses wood as a fuel source to create a bed of coals over which meat is cooked on a steel grid. Many apartment dwellers and people with a more English heritage might resort to using kettle braais like Webers with charcoal briquettes, we don't associate with those folks. "Braai" is both a noun and a verb, yes.

As for smoking meats, that's still a relatively new thing here. We do have a handful of restaurants around the greater Cape Town area that serve a selection of smoked meats and everyone who goes there LOVES the food. But uptake is slow in the home-smoker market due to the barrier to entry being pretty high in terms of initial costs (this is a poor country) as well as the time investment that smoking meat can often require. Basically, if you own a smoker or especially a Kamado (import) type smoker you're either very enthusiastic about smoking meat or have a lot of spending money so, also probably middle aged or retired.

I moved into a new house 3 years ago and there was no braai (many, many houses have built-in braais in a "braai room" (patio-ish area)) and I didn't possess a decent mobile braai (essentially a large metal tray on wheels with some fittings to hold a grid). So I said F-it and bought a Kamado Joe as I'd been eyeing one for quite some time. We have our own version of Kamado Joe called Kamado Jan, looks the same, same fittings and layout.
This got me into the world of smoking meats.
I've done a few briskets, with about a 50% success rate. Lots of pork belly-ribs. Pork belly burnt ends. A few chickens. And even a springbok (a type of buck) leg for xmas one time.
I don't have a proper offset or cabinet smoker (yet). The effort that I've seen go into cooking with those scares me. I do have a few friends that have those and I've been keeping an eye on what's involved when cooking on those.
Looking forward to learning from the OG smokers on this forum.

Cheers

An aside on meat in SA for those who are interested - we're big on beef, but our beef is nothing like US feedlot cattle. We don't have facilities like those and most of our beef would probably qualify as "free-range" in the States. Hence our biggest briskets are about half the size of the ones I see on youtube smoking vids. Wagyu is only recently available here, some local farmers have imported a line of wagyu cows and recently I got my hands on my first two wagyu briskets which I'm REALLY excited about. Our usual briskets are a lot leaner that what seems to be available in the States so it's a real challenge not drying them out. So much so that I've started cooking the flat and the tip separately, otherwise the tip is juicy and the flat is dry.
In terms of what is normally cooked on a braai over here:
Beef - steak(s) and wors (traditional type of sausage made with sheep gut for casing and traditionally lots of coriander seeds)
Pork - chops, spare ribs (marinated), sausages (bangers), sausages with extra fillings like cheese, smoked pork meats (like bacon) twirled around kebab sticks and marinated
Chicken - pieces and spatchcock, usually heavily marinated
Lamb - chops, chops, and more chops, and some ribs. The legs are usually reserved for the oven and the neck, bones etc for "potjie" (another traditional stew type thing).
Kebabs or Espetadas - all of the above meats cut into chunks and stuck on a wooden stick with some vegetables (bell peppers, onions, etc) in between. Usually heavily marinated.
A final word on South African lamb. We have a unique form of lamb here called "Karoo" lamb, named for the Karoo region it comes from - a semi arid region with a unique type of flora. Karoo lamb ideally grows up eating the indigenous plants almost exclusively and as a result the meat has a very unique, tasty flavour because they've basically been spiced their whole life. Compared to Karoo lamb normal lamb or mutton tastes like sheep smell, if you ask me.
Wow!
I am also new on here and also from South Africa but that intro, I can not beat that! Although I am from more inland, up north in Pretoria. Decided to build a vertical smoker using a propane tank. Got the lid cut and now looking for ideas on a fire box.
Looking forward to all the posts and tips.

Potjie is the bomb. Corn fed whitetail is almost as good as springbok as a protein, but the cooking method can’t be beat.

Boerwors is far and away the best sausage of its sort in the world.

Biltong is in a class by itself.

Those guys know how to cook….

Welcome from OHIO USA! Everything sounds very interesting there! Like braai, we also use some words that can be a verb or a noun...like pork!

:emoji_wink:
:emoji_wink:

Welcome from California. Have been a big fan of Pinotage wines from Stellenbosch for 25 years. Have never been to South Africa but have been to Kenya and Tanzania many years ago and was served both Wildebeest and Zebra. I would think both would be good on a smoker. What kind of woods are you using?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky