Help needed Summer sausage using SmokinTex 1400 with Auber AW-WST1510H-W

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fluctuates

Original poster
Apr 2, 2022
Short version/question at end if do not need prior history.

I am primarily cooking for just my wife and myself as my daughter lives on her own and my son is off to college. My wife is not a huge fan of smoked foods and while I love them, I must take it easy on the smoke or get heartburn. Having said that, it is fair to say that I do not intend to smoke a lot of meals to eat immediately with my wife. At least not often. I do have a love for smoked fish, summer sausage, as well as sausage links. For this reason alone, I went ahead and purchased a SmokinTex 1400 analog electric smoker.

I had never heard of SmokinTex or recall ever seeing an all stainless steel smoker. I did not doubt that they existed in the commercial setting, but had never seen one in person. One day I was browsing Sportsmans.com as I had a coupon to use and they sent an email promoting smokers. I saw the SmokinTex and thought it could be a lifetime smoker worth the extra cost over the cheap ones that would likely be replaced often. (I am still using my Ducane grill I purchased 25 years ago, I recall going through a few cheapos prior to that. Ducane cheaper in long run). Not being sure I wanted to spend $600, I decided to call SmokinTex. One of the owners answered on second ring and talked to me for well over a half hour. I was impressed by that so placed the order from Sportsmans for local pickup at store 10 miles from me. I have called them several times and have always spoken to someone after only a couple rings.

No matter how good a product is or how much help a manufacturer is willing to offer, there is always the issue of a consumer that just doesn’t get it. This time it is me. I cannot seem to figure out how to make smoke a 15-20 pound batch of Summer sausage or link sausage. I am at a loss on what I am doing wrong. With so many variables, I am thinking it is not just one thing. I may be trying to large of batch, sausage may not be dry enough going in, temperatures may be wrong, etc.

I spoke with SmokinTex on temperature swings that could be causing issues within the smoker. I was assured that many people successfully make sausage and that the temperature swings do not hurt as long as you know what you are doing. I agree, but figure if I could at least reduce my variables by one, I may achieve success sooner. I was told that they are actually working on offering a digital controller in the near future and I am excited to try one out. I am hoping to get one of their controllers soon, but in the meantime I got my hands on an Auber AW-WST1510H-W to try out. It will be repurposed elsewhere if I get the SmokinTex controller. I am guessing that the SmokinTex may likley be a rebranded Auber anyway.

Throwing more money at something does not necessarily make one smarter. I now find that trying to program the Auber is less than intuitive. I researched them ahead of time and found the common concensus was that they make great products but their documentation and tech support is lacking. I found that to be true in my case as well.

It is suggested to do an autotune when you first use the Auber controller by placing something in the smoker simulating your food load. While I know what they mean I am unsure what exactly would simulate filling 5 racks with 4 1 ½” x 12” tubes of summer sausage or several coils of ring sausage. Some forums suggest adding a tray of water and a couple bricks. Again no specifics on how much water. All bricks not created equal either. I tried by putting a 6x6x2 paving stone on rack level 2 and another on rack level 4 with a loaf pan with 2 cups of water on bottom of smoker. I ran autotune 225 degrees for 1 hour and got P:53, I:450 and D:112. I then was going to program a recipe and later try an autotune at 170 degrees but turns out it started running recipe immediately. My temp went to 180 and dropped to 164 before hour was up. So much for 1-3 degree temp swing.

I am sure my products would work fine if I knew how to run them. “run an autotune” offers too little info. Most info online is for older or cheaper versions of the Auber. This reminds me of the fancy camera my wife bought but we could never take advantage of as we could not correctly operate it.

Question:

1)How do I properly smoke summer sausage in SmokinTex 1400 (similar to SmokinIt #2) using Auber AW-WST1510H-W controller?

a) how much can I smoke at once and on which racks (5 levels)

b) how exactly do I simulate the sausage to do autotune

c) how to eliminate hot spots within smoker so all consistently cooked

d) after suffing hang to dry, refrigerate, hang to take chill off before smoking, heat 120, then add smoke chips and turn heat up? Keep in mind room temps here generally pushing 80 degrees in Phoenix. No cool garage to hang and not woory about food safety issues getting too warm

e) rotate regularly and lose temperature best option? Told should not open often. Contradictory statements.

f) on links maybe some unknowingly dried more before smoking causing inconsistency?

g) can I stuff 20 pounds and smoke over a couple days or does it need to be smoked sooner?

Thanks for any advice. Please try to be more specific if possible. The “run autotune” for instance not specific enough

Try this link:

As for simulating a load, throw-away aluminum pans no taller than the thickness of the sausage filled with damp sand. This gives you mass and moisture simulating meat. If simulating a butt or brisket, then the pan would be larger. Some folks say this works and some do not. I have never had to autotune. I just use as is. Good luck!

Try this link:

As for simulating a load, throw-away aluminum pans no taller than the thickness of the sausage filled with damp sand. This gives you mass and moisture simulating meat. If simulating a butt or brisket, then the pan would be larger. Some folks say this works and some do not. I have never had to autotune. I just use as is. Good luck!
thank you. that is the most precise answer that I have gotten so far. My autotune numbers have been so far off from one attempt to the next that it is not funny. P ranged 53-80, I ranged 450-1608, D from 112-204.

unfortunately I have been through most of these sites pid posts already. I really have put a lot of time in this. With so many variables, I have not been lucky enough to find anyone with my particular controller and similar smoker be it SmokinTex, Smokin-it, cookshack. The older model Aubers have totally different programming style. I would like to think the PID values should be the same though. I need to try an autotune with some sand. My daughter is planning on getting some for her umbrella bases so I may get some from her. If I were smart enough, I could likely figure out how to convert. then again if I were smart, I would not need to. So far my test cycles run about ten degrees over target and a couple below. With half the price of smoker into add-on controller, I am hoping to tighten that up. I think it would be ok. Maybe I am overthinking it. Maybe trying to verify cost.

I wish you luck in your quest. A lot of folks here and on other forums do indeed overthink. I work with engineers and they can complicate the simple when all ne needs is a yes or no; but they go into the how and why. This video might help although the smoker is a cook shack.

Reactions: chopsaw
My WS-1510ELPM auber has the same out of the box parameters as yours. P=7, I=600 D=150. Those settings didn't work for me, coming out of 100% output (flashing) way before my set temp. Depending on the intake and vent opening and volume of your smoker and insulated or not you can try a different mode vs full PID. I use P mode on page 20 and 21 of your manual with my insulated Mes 40 since the intake and vent are 3" in diameter I want to cruise right to my set point fast which may over shoot 5 degrees so I set 5 degrees lower and when the auber shuts off and gets up to desired set temp reset auber to that temp. When I=0 and D=0 (P mode) the P value determines full output that many degrees below set temp, then flashes as it gets to set temp, then (off). So the note 6 senario on pgs 20 and 21 shows p=7 so 7/7 = 1 full output. At 6 degrees below set temp output is 6/7=85.7% output at 5 degrees below set temp is 5/7=71.4% output, then 4/7, 3/7, 2/7, 1/7 then set temp 0/7 (off). If P=3, D=0, I=0, then 3 degrees below set temp is 3/3=1 100% output. 2 degrees below set temp is 2/3, then 1/3 then off. I use P=1, I=0, D=0 so 1 degree below set temp is 1/1=1 100% output, .5 degree below set temp is .5/1=50% output, then set temp (off.) Even though the display resolution is 1 the reaction works at .5 this is the fastest cruise to your set temp and as it cools to .5 degree below set temp flashes 50% output (highest output below set temp) to hold a couple degrees from set temp based on my smokers volume, intake and vent sizes. Since P mode was an example in our manual I did this after trying out of the box settings and auto tune failures that were unacceptable. Two hours after getting my auber I have been at this P mode setting and have been there since. If P=0 regardless of I and D numbers the controller is an on/off controller at set temp. I use single step mode to just set temp without minutes, auto ramping steps and no recipes but with your controller that disables your auxiliary power output if you use it. I'll manually ramp when it's time with sausage, fish etc. Just set an alarm on my phone when ready to ramp. So I set auber 5 degrees lower than desired preheating and when food goes in. Reset after auber shuts off coasting up and reaches desired set temp and it holds within a couple degrees.

In the manual after the above in PD mode when only I=0 the setting P=4, I=0 and D=40 turns analog only crockpots and rice cookers into a sous vide or yogurt maker. Holds to the degree once reached.

Reactions: tallbm
Maybe tallbm tallbm will chime in and add to your replies. He really helped me set mine up in my Mes, and I can hold temps within a couple degrees. I don't remember what values I even have but they work for me.

Ryan

The “run autotune” for instance not specific enough
1. Running auto tune only makes it worse , so don't do that . I mean we all did it once . Just doesn't help anything .

2. I wouldn't bother trying to simulate a load .

I don't have your smoker . I have an MES 30 and the 1510 ELPM .
Settings and operation of the Auber should be the same .

I use the manual to get the lock codes and that's about it . All the charts and stuff just make it way harder than what it is .

I run mine in P I D mode .

P - Measured in Degrees . The lower the number the faster it gets to temp .

If your set temp is 150 and P = 10 , it will come out of 100 % power at ( or around ) 140 . 10 seconds before set temp .

I - Measured in seconds . Controls the output compared to the temp reading in the smoker .

Decrease the setting if taking to long to get to set temp . Controls over run on heat up , and keeps the temp from dropping to much when running .

D - Measured in seconds . Responds to temp drop . Higher the setting , the more aggressive the response .

I have mine set to get to set temp with little or no over run . Once to temp it stays there . Steady blink on the light .

I wrote down the stuff I typed above . Went out to the smoker and set it up EMPTY . I get the thought of needing it under load , but unless you're putting cold meat in a cold smoker I don't see a need to do it .

Get it set to react as needed , and when running at set temp and a load is added , it will do what it needs to get to temp .

F fluctuates post 9 in this thread expains how I set mine up .

Short version/question at end if do not need prior history.

I am primarily cooking for just my wife and myself as my daughter lives on her own and my son is off to college. My wife is not a huge fan of smoked foods and while I love them, I must take it easy on the smoke or get heartburn. Having said that, it is fair to say that I do not intend to smoke a lot of meals to eat immediately with my wife. At least not often. I do have a love for smoked fish, summer sausage, as well as sausage links. For this reason alone, I went ahead and purchased a SmokinTex 1400 analog electric smoker.

I had never heard of SmokinTex or recall ever seeing an all stainless steel smoker. I did not doubt that they existed in the commercial setting, but had never seen one in person. One day I was browsing Sportsmans.com as I had a coupon to use and they sent an email promoting smokers. I saw the SmokinTex and thought it could be a lifetime smoker worth the extra cost over the cheap ones that would likely be replaced often. (I am still using my Ducane grill I purchased 25 years ago, I recall going through a few cheapos prior to that. Ducane cheaper in long run). Not being sure I wanted to spend $600, I decided to call SmokinTex. One of the owners answered on second ring and talked to me for well over a half hour. I was impressed by that so placed the order from Sportsmans for local pickup at store 10 miles from me. I have called them several times and have always spoken to someone after only a couple rings.

No matter how good a product is or how much help a manufacturer is willing to offer, there is always the issue of a consumer that just doesn’t get it. This time it is me. I cannot seem to figure out how to make smoke a 15-20 pound batch of Summer sausage or link sausage. I am at a loss on what I am doing wrong. With so many variables, I am thinking it is not just one thing. I may be trying to large of batch, sausage may not be dry enough going in, temperatures may be wrong, etc.

I spoke with SmokinTex on temperature swings that could be causing issues within the smoker. I was assured that many people successfully make sausage and that the temperature swings do not hurt as long as you know what you are doing. I agree, but figure if I could at least reduce my variables by one, I may achieve success sooner. I was told that they are actually working on offering a digital controller in the near future and I am excited to try one out. I am hoping to get one of their controllers soon, but in the meantime I got my hands on an Auber AW-WST1510H-W to try out. It will be repurposed elsewhere if I get the SmokinTex controller. I am guessing that the SmokinTex may likley be a rebranded Auber anyway.

Throwing more money at something does not necessarily make one smarter. I now find that trying to program the Auber is less than intuitive. I researched them ahead of time and found the common concensus was that they make great products but their documentation and tech support is lacking. I found that to be true in my case as well.

It is suggested to do an autotune when you first use the Auber controller by placing something in the smoker simulating your food load. While I know what they mean I am unsure what exactly would simulate filling 5 racks with 4 1 ½” x 12” tubes of summer sausage or several coils of ring sausage. Some forums suggest adding a tray of water and a couple bricks. Again no specifics on how much water. All bricks not created equal either. I tried by putting a 6x6x2 paving stone on rack level 2 and another on rack level 4 with a loaf pan with 2 cups of water on bottom of smoker. I ran autotune 225 degrees for 1 hour and got P:53, I:450 and D:112. I then was going to program a recipe and later try an autotune at 170 degrees but turns out it started running recipe immediately. My temp went to 180 and dropped to 164 before hour was up. So much for 1-3 degree temp swing.

I am sure my products would work fine if I knew how to run them. “run an autotune” offers too little info. Most info online is for older or cheaper versions of the Auber. This reminds me of the fancy camera my wife bought but we could never take advantage of as we could not correctly operate it.

Question:

1)How do I properly smoke summer sausage in SmokinTex 1400 (similar to SmokinIt #2) using Auber AW-WST1510H-W controller?

d) after suffing hang to dry, refrigerate, hang to take chill off before smoking, heat 120, then add smoke chips and turn heat up? Keep in mind room temps here generally pushing 80 degrees in Phoenix. No cool garage to hang and not woory about food safety issues getting too warm

e) rotate regularly and lose temperature best option? Told should not open often. Contradictory statements.

f) on links maybe some unknowingly dried more before smoking causing inconsistency?

g) can I stuff 20 pounds and smoke over a couple days or does it need to be smoked sooner?

Thanks for any advice. Please try to be more specific if possible. The “run autotune” for instance not specific enough
Hi there and welcome!

I'll address your questions and then likely talk some more afterwards:
Question:

A: The sausage smoking process is to start at 100F degrees for like an hour to dry sausage some, then bump up the temp like 15-20F degrees every 30-60 minutes until your smoker is no about 165F and no higher than 170F degrees.

A: I'm just guessing here but I imagine you can do about 3-4 pounds per rack provided there is enough gap/space for smoke and air to circulate well enough. This would be about 15-20lbs with sausages laid on racks.

A: I would put foil pans on a rack and pour about 2 inches of water in it and repeat until the smoker is full. Dont worry if you only end up with 3 racks, the idea is that you are putting some kind of decent load in the smoker. OR go get a couple of 8-10 pound pork butts and just smoke those on the bottom rack that will give you about 20 pounds of meat and be a long enough smoke that you can play and play with tuning settings until the Auber has it well under control :)

A: there is no good answer to this. You just have to understand your temps and where hot & cold spots are/arent.
To learn your temps you will just have to do a number of smokes and note to yourself things like:

"bottom rack left side 10 degrees higher than bottom rack right side. Bottom rack center is about 4 degrees lower then left side and 6 degrees higher than right side"

Then continue to do multiple racks, etc. etc. You will find a pattern something like lowest rack is hottest 2nd lowest rack is 2nd hottest, etc. etc. I've seen MES30's where lowest rack is 2nd hottest overall and 2nd from bottom rack is hottest. Its all about how the air flows.
Only temp probing and noting to your self will figure this out. Once figured out, it is fairly consistent except when you do something really different like a 22 pound turkey where the air flow is directed all kinds of different ways than usual. Even at this point you put enough probes in the smoker and you understand what it is doing when it is doing it and adjust the PID set temp accordingly :)

I recommend getting a good 4 probe (or more like) wireless thermometer and putting a probe at rack level on each rack.
I for example put my PID probe under the center of the lowest rack.
I know my left side of the rack runs about 10F degrees higher than the center and the right side of the rack runs about 12F degrees lower. I adjust my PID temp to average between the two.
This temp difference from left, center, and right is pretty consistent.
Additionally I know that as I go up each rack level the the temp drops about 10F degrees across the board.

This lets me know that the stuff on lower racks cooks faster than the stuff on the rack above it. Also I know left side of the smoker is hotter than the right side.

How do I handle this with food? I put meat probes in food on the left side and right side of the lower rack. When food is done on left side I pull it and move the rest of the food left and upper rack food down. Simple. I feel its a losing game to try and rotate so it all finishes at the same time.
I only rotate a little when doing jerky and that is because dehydration of meat is a bit of a different ballgame than cooking meat :)

A: I would simplify this. Stuff and refrigerate if not smoking immediately. Put in the smoker at 100F or so for an hour with no smoke. Then add smoke and bump up the temp 15-20F degrees every 30-60min until you hit a smoker temp of 165F or 170F max.
Stop applying smoke when you feel you don't need anymore and pull sausage when hit its about 152F internal temp.
Cool quickly with cold water, ice water, freezer, etc. until internal temp has dropped quite a bit and is no longer cooking.
Dry off and allow to sit out and bloom if you like. I often half ass this step and just put on trays or wire racks and cool and bloom at the same time in my garage fridge. I don't care if they look perfect, I only care that they taste perfect :D

A: I'm in the camp of rotate as little as possible and pull meat when it is ready and leave the rest to continue cooking. With sausage I have no issue having some at 150F at some spots and 160F in other spots. As long as fat isn't melting out I let it go and pull when in that range, OR I temp and cut what is ready and pull it and leave the rest to stay in. This is where multiple meat probes and a thermometer come in hand. I run a minimum of 6 probes in this case and as many as 9. Thermometers can tell you all you need to know so you mess with it only when needed. I'm big on not opening the smoker or messing with the food until it is ready to come out.

A: Solution to this is knowing hot/cold spots and multiple probes on the rack AND in the sausage. You have a probe in the meat on the hot side and a probe in the meat on the cold side and you know everything in between lies... in a temp in between lol.
Pull cooked sausage when it is ready and leave uncooked to finish. Rotate at this point as much or as little as you like since it is done.
I often just move food left to right on the lowest rack as I pull finish food off my left side (my hot side) and when lowest rack empty I move all the racks down. Repeat.

A: Yes you can. When making this kind of sausage you SHOULD be using cure#1 which will preserve the meat quite long if refrigerated. So mix up 20,40,60 lbs etc. Then pull some each day and smoke in the smoker. As long as the uncooked sausage is refrigerated and you arent going beyond 7-10 days you should be fine. Hell you are probably ok after 7-10 days but meat quality may start to degrade the longer it sits uncooked. Someoene who knows curing and raw meat can speak more to this and correct anything I may have missed.

Ok questions answered.
Now on to PID stuff.

Your smoker is like an MES30 but with a 700W element.
I believe chopsaw chopsaw runs his MES30 with an Auber PID set to:
P=7, I=208, D=210

These settings should be in the ballpark for you to punch in and try. I bet money it would be better than any autotune settings.
I personally would lower P to be 3 (P=3). This will give a stronger heat up time at the start and when recovering after opening a door. Having a 700W element, I'm thinking the P=3 helps it heat up the smoker better where a high P value makes the heatup run slower.
I would strongly suggest you kill many birds with 1 stone and just get two 9-10lb pork butts and smoke them with the PID set to P=3, I=208, D=210 and get that wireless thermometer going (minimum 4 probes but I suggest 6). This will give you load similar enough in weight to work for sausage. If it works for 2 pork butts I bet you money it works well for your sausage adventures. Also this is a long enough smoke to change your PID tunings to find something that works. It also gives you a good smoke to play with thermometer readings on your racks as well as in the meat. All birds killed, 1 stone :D

Here is a 4 probe 400ft radio frequency one (not short range bluetooth nonsense) with high and low alarms that I would seriously consider if you dont have one. I dont use this one but the price is right and it has all the bells and whistles so if I needed another 4 probe RF meat thermometer I would definitely be trying this one out:

I hope all this info helps. Ask any questions you may have :)

Reactions: chopsaw
runs his MES30 with an Auber PID set to:
P=7, I=208, D=210
I think that is the new setting . Used to use P = 10 .

I set mine up empty . Like I said , I get the thought behind a load , but if you get it set up and dialed in the load should not matter that much in my opinion . The wattage of the element is what it is , and as long as the Controller kicks it on at 100 % it's no longer a factor until you get to temp .

IF it struggles to get to temp after a load is added , then you can adjust I or P to put it to 100 % power out . I never had too .

Mine takes about 20 minutes empty to get to 200 . I could get there faster , but that setting along with I = 208 over runs 1 degree , then drops to set temp and stays there .

I just set it like that because it can be done . If you go over or under 10 degrees it's not a big deal . My thought is I paid for the ability to dial it in .

I would agree those settings will most likely get him close , I would just do it empty .

Thanks all.

I asked for details and boy oh boy did chopsaw and tallbm deliver. It sure helps to know what PID values actually do and when and why and how much to change which one in the right direction. Before reading this I only had vague idea that P was temp and I and D were time related. As to when or why to change, I had no idea.

I bought myself a second inkbird dual probe bluetooth thermometer shortly after my first smoke in hopes of monitoring every shelf of sausages. I quickly discovered that I could use both but could only connect one at a time via bluetooth. After I did my last smoke, I purchased a Govee 6 probe thermometer from Amazon while on deal (is again as I type this). Still in the box. I hope that I can import and save data from it, but again have not even tried it yet.

While on this topic, is there any harm done when throwing summer sausages with probe holes in ice water bath? I would hate to contaminate the sausage. I have several in freezer right now with probe holes. My last batch also frozen without casing as I was afraid water got between on some of the looser ones. Fortunately, I ordered a couple sausage probes with my Auber so those holes will be smaller.

Another reason to not want to rotate racks is all the cables running through smoker to various racks to monitor temperatures.

I hope to smoke something this weekend. I may run a couple autotunes if I have time before I do my next smoke just to see what numbers I get and write them down. I will definitely input the P.I.D. values you have provided as well. Temperatures this next week supposed to range from 54 to 97. I am curious if it will behave totally different this summer when temps on some days can range from 100 to 117. Most people are concerned about smoking in colder temps. Not me.

Off to look at some pork recipies!

Thanks again. Greatly appreciated.

Something else to remember is you can't overload the smoker and expect it to keep up . Another reason why I set mine up empty .
That way I have a base line to work from .

My opinion . If you're gonna auto tune with a load in there , you're chasing your tail . Keep us posted .

as I type I have an autotune running for giggles. curious what it will say. I set P:7,
I:208 and D:210 prior to autotune of 170 for 1 hour. I will likely buy some meat tomorrow and smoke on Friday. Not using smoker in meantime so may as well figure stuff out. I will likely switch values back afterwards.
smoker and cooler for sous vide.jpeg
cooler lid slid back.jpeg

I sawed hole in old cooler and glued a cutoff 3" to 2" reducer in it to be able to use my sous vide in it to finish off sausage and sticks next time to see how that works. I will likely smoke a full load and remove bottom rows with all that fit in sous vide and continue with rest in smoker. only issue is that lid is so deep on cooler that I may need to fill cooler rather full of water and let it overflow when adding the sausage. Or hang it from something sitting in cooler until putting sausage in and moving it to lid then. I bought that cooler back in the early eighties.

you can see some pavers there that I used trying autotunes earlier, but not all of them at once.

I have the SmokinTex 1460 . I also had problems with summer sausage . It is an Analog smoker so it has 30 degree temperature swings. I bought the Auber controller to remedy this. The manufacturer told me that I didn't need it but I was getting Fat out on my sausage . THey won't put their product down but now they tell you that a PID is in their future?? I used 2 large cinder blocks to Auto tune as I remember and it didn't take very long. Make sure you keep the Oven temperature probe mounted in the same place everytime ! You can mount it on the back wall about 2/3rds the way up. Read the documentation provided with the controller very carefully and if you still can't figure it out they have a hotline to call so you can speak with someone with a strong foreign accent !! I have mine set for the step method starting at 120 and going up 10 degrees per hour till it peaks at 170. When it's done an alarm sounds and it automatically shuts down.I use rods and dowels to suspend the bologna from the top rack groove and I have made 25 pound batches. Hanging from the top utilizes the available space much better than using the racks. also run an extra Temp probe through the air vent to keep the Auber in check but I haven't had any problems. The Auber keeps the temp even with no temp swings. The Stall period can vary per load but just be patient and it will eventually continue to rise to your desired finished IT. I use about a 4 oz chunk of wood per smoke. No rotating is needed . When I stuff my bologna or SS I put them in the fridge overnight or maybe a day or so and take them out and let them hang for an hour or so and if they have moisture I wipe them down with paper towels. Then hang in the smoker and place the probes in the meat. Keep your racks sprayed down with pam or something similar and ALWAYS wash them after each use or you will be sorry!! Also the SS or Bologna process can take around 16 hours depending on the size of the casings you use. With that said I start mine before I go to bed and then I take them off around noonish. Ice bath if it's warm outside and let them bloom in a cool place for an hour or so. When I cook chicken and brisket etc I don't use the PID. Hope this helps if you need more help just holler.

I have the SmokinTex 1460 . I also had problems with summer sausage . It is an Analog smoker so it has 30 degree temperature swings. I bought the Auber controller to remedy this. The manufacturer told me that I didn't need it but I was getting Fat out on my sausage . THey won't put their product down but now they tell you that a PID is in their future?? I used 2 large cinder blocks to Auto tune as I remember and it didn't take very long. Make sure you keep the Oven temperature probe mounted in the same place everytime ! You can mount it on the back wall about 2/3rds the way up. Read the documentation provided with the controller very carefully and if you still can't figure it out they have a hotline to call so you can speak with someone with a strong foreign accent !! I have mine set for the step method starting at 120 and going up 10 degrees per hour till it peaks at 170. When it's done an alarm sounds and it automatically shuts down.I use rods and dowels to suspend the bologna from the top rack groove and I have made 25 pound batches. Hanging from the top utilizes the available space much better than using the racks. also run an extra Temp probe through the air vent to keep the Auber in check but I haven't had any problems. The Auber keeps the temp even with no temp swings. The Stall period can vary per load but just be patient and it will eventually continue to rise to your desired finished IT. I use about a 4 oz chunk of wood per smoke. No rotating is needed . When I stuff my bologna or SS I put them in the fridge overnight or maybe a day or so and take them out and let them hang for an hour or so and if they have moisture I wipe them down with paper towels. Then hang in the smoker and place the probes in the meat. Keep your racks sprayed down with pam or something similar and ALWAYS wash them after each use or you will be sorry!! Also the SS or Bologna process can take around 16 hours depending on the size of the casings you use. With that said I start mine before I go to bed and then I take them off around noonish. Ice bath if it's warm outside and let them bloom in a cool place for an hour or so. When I cook chicken and brisket etc I don't use the PID. Hope this helps if you need more help just holler.
poacherjoe....
I mounted a permanent probe about two inches down slightly off center in my 1400. There is an angle iron support running vertically dead center so off to the side of that. I put rack holders in uppermost position and mounted sensor just below second rack as it would be just below upper rack if shift holders down, and out of the way if cut rods to hang sausage. I thought about mounting higher but figured heat may not be as consistent less than an inch from top where it would clear everything. I believe Auber suggests even lower

Your 1460 is taller so sausages would be farther from the firebox where heat is intensely coming out. Also wider which may affect heat as well. I think I would have purchased that size if it would have been offered on sportsmans.com when I bought my 1400. They only had the one size and I wanted to buy from them as I could pick it up at local store and not worry about a $600 smoker walking off before I got home if I would have had it delivered. My 10% off coupon saved me as well.

I have seen mixed reviews on hanging or using racks for sausage. Some prefer to hang, others use racks. I have only made three batches so far but already know I like the 1 1/2 x 12 clear LEM casings the best. Maybe 2" would be more forgiving if overheat them, but most I have seen are 20" long and I would have lots of waste. I have been buying them of Amazon and the shorter 2" are considerably higher priced.

do you have the newer wifi auber or one with the red leds? assuming plug and play instead of pieced together.

poacherjoe....
I mounted a permanent probe about two inches down slightly off center in my 1400. There is an angle iron support running vertically dead center so off to the side of that. I put rack holders in uppermost position and mounted sensor just below second rack as it would be just below upper rack if shift holders down, and out of the way if cut rods to hang sausage. I thought about mounting higher but figured heat may not be as consistent less than an inch from top where it would clear everything. I believe Auber suggests even lower

Your 1460 is taller so sausages would be farther from the firebox where heat is intensely coming out. Also wider which may affect heat as well. I think I would have purchased that size if it would have been offered on sportsmans.com when I bought my 1400. They only had the one size and I wanted to buy from them as I could pick it up at local store and not worry about a $600 smoker walking off before I got home if I would have had it delivered. My 10% off coupon saved me as well.

I have seen mixed reviews on hanging or using racks for sausage. Some prefer to hang, others use racks. I have only made three batches so far but already know I like the 1 1/2 x 12 clear LEM casings the best. Maybe 2" would be more forgiving if overheat them, but most I have seen are 20" long and I would have lots of waste. I have been buying them of Amazon and the shorter 2" are considerably higher priced.

do you have the newer wifi auber or one with the red leds? assuming plug and play instead of pieced together.
I have the WSD-1200GPH V2 model from Auber. I have used several different sizes and types of casings . The long ones get close to the firebox and they tend to dry out a tad . I really like the ring sausage casings . But I use them all. The 1400 isn't much smaller than mine . I think you just need to worry less and start making sausage ! WHen ever you have a problem the members of this forum are very knowledgable and willing to help. I would advise you to purchase some Red Barn Bologna seasoning or the Pennsylvania Deer Bologna from Pittsburgh spice or P&S seasonings. It's really good stuff .Also when Black Friday rolls around and Xmas P&S and The Sausage Maker have some really good sales with free shipping. Enjoy your new smoker and welcome to SMF.

as I type I have an autotune running for giggles. curious what it will say. I set P:7,
I:208 and D:210 prior to autotune of 170 for 1 hour. I will likely buy some meat tomorrow and smoke on Friday. Not using smoker in meantime so may as well figure stuff out. I will likely switch values back afterwards.View attachment 628394View attachment 628395

I sawed hole in old cooler and glued a cutoff 3" to 2" reducer in it to be able to use my sous vide in it to finish off sausage and sticks next time to see how that works. I will likely smoke a full load and remove bottom rows with all that fit in sous vide and continue with rest in smoker. only issue is that lid is so deep on cooler that I may need to fill cooler rather full of water and let it overflow when adding the sausage. Or hang it from something sitting in cooler until putting sausage in and moving it to lid then. I bought that cooler back in the early eighties.

you can see some pavers there that I used trying autotunes earlier, but not all of them at once.

The holes in the sausage shouldn't cause an issue when cooling in water. They wont be in there that long plus cooling causes the casing and meat to lower in temp at the same rate so u dont get as many crinkles and separation going... thats my undrstanding at least.

I too hang sausage simply because it fits more! Especially summer sausage and big bologna in like 4 inch round fibrous casings.

I only like doing 1 smoke and getting as much sausage in as I can is my goal. I've done 20 lbs in my MES 40 no problem hanging vertically doing the dowels and rack mods similar to what is mentioned in this thread.

I've also smoked on racks too. It just depends on how much sausage I have to do AND if I want to dirty multiple racks or not. Hanging saves on washing and cleaning. I always use 1 rack though when hanging just in case something breaks or falls the rack will catch it vs the burner and the drip pan. Safety first :)

Reactions: poacherjoe
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky