Brisket troubles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schauzy

Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Central Indiana
I need some advice on brisket. I smoked a 4 lb brisket yesterday but it came out chewy and not nearly as tender as it should be. It was rubbed the night before, smoked at 225-250 with hickory chunks until it was 160. Then it was wrapped in foil with 1/2 cup of beef broth and put back on the smoker. I pulled it off when it was 205, wrapped it in a couple towels and put it in a cooler for two hours. It was about 175 when sliced. I'm not sure if I'm getting it too hot before pulling or not hot enough? I've never had much luck with brisket so I'm looking for some pointers please. Thanks.

Sometimes they just turn out like shoe leather.Especially selects.All of them can be as random as a fart in an elevator...

I wonder if your probe is faulty. Some built in probes are known to be bums. I wouldn't trust my MES-30 probes ever. I like to cook to 190 and then start toothpick testing. When it goes in with little or no resistance you are good. But like Moto says sometimes you just get a dog.

Instead of cooking to a temp of 205. When your therm. is showing 190 start probing with a toothpick or skewer. What your looking for is for it to slide in with little to know resistance. My flats usually finish closer to 195 then 190. Points in the 200 plus range. Give that a try sometime and see how it works for you.

You can bet it stayed hot and probably close to 215 after you pulled it and it sat sealed up in the foil. You can check it before 200 for tenderness.
Open the foil and let it cool a few minutes so the hotter outside doesn't keep cooking the center. Then wrap it back up and put in the cooler.

What kind of smoker are you using & what probes?
Richie
Right now it's a smoke hollow 4 in 1 and a redi chek dual probe thermometer. I'm debating between a dyna Glo vertical offset and an Oklahoma Joe Bandera For my next one but haven't decided yet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky