Not Franklin Barbecue but my first edible brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
I have an Old Country Wrangler smoker - maybe not the best smoker out there but it is the perfect size for me. However, since the day I bought it, it was always a struggle to manage the fire so as to get a good cook. I made a few good meals but something was just off and it always required close attention.

So, yesterday morning, I cut that freakin baffle between the firebox and the cook chamber, out. And I bought a cheap trimmed select grade, not so great looking but it was all they had, brisket point at HEB, for a test run, which I did today.

It ain't Franklin barbecue level brisket, but it is the first brisket I ever cooked that turned out not so bad! Taking the baffle out of the smoker made a world of difference in ease of fire management and consistent temperatures across the cooking area. I mean a 10-fold improvement - I was even able to take a nap this afternoon and the smoker maintained temperature just fine! I wrapped the brisket in pink butcher paper after it looked right and I cooked it until it was probe tender (it was 205-degrees) then nested it in foil (still wrapped in pink butcher paper) so it would not make a mess and put in my microwave for an hour to rest. This is the first brisket I cooked in the smoker that is not burnt on the bottom (because of that nutty baffle).

It came out not so bad and I am glad I got rid of that baffle! :emoji_thumbsup:

IMG_2038.jpg

Last edited:
I could eat that all night long.

Looks like you got a brisket cut in half rather than just the point.

Top notch Spook.
Thank you sir! It was a strange cut but I did not want to risk wasting a whole brisket.

You got the moist end, best part anyway. Bark looks good, smoke ring looks good. I'm sure it tasted good.
Thank you sir! I've thrown a lot of briskets in the garbage - this one I ate (and I have leftovers)! :emoji_thumbsup:

Looks spot on to me . Nice work .
I've been cross cutting the whole packers at the point end . I either grind the flat or use it for roast beef or taco meat .

Reactions: Retired Spook
Great lookin brisket. Did the same to my OC Pecos a few years ago. It's a game changer, completely different smoker. Like you said, no more burnt bottoms. I got tired of flippin and spinninn the meat so it wouldn't burn. Enjoy the new smoker

Reactions: Retired Spook
Great lookin brisket. Did the same to my OC Pecos a few years ago. It's a game changer, completely different smoker. Like you said, no more burnt bottoms. I got tired of flippin and spinninn the meat so it wouldn't burn. Enjoy the new smoker
Thank you sir! You were right! There, I said it! 😂

World of improvement without that nutty baffle in it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky