Not Franklin Barbecue but my first edible brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks might tasty! Nice work in the smoker mods, most smokers are just way to restricted and that makes it hard to control

Reactions: Retired Spook
Looks might tasty! Nice work in the smoker mods, most smokers are just way to restricted and that makes it hard to control
Thank you sir! I was hesitant to cut that baffle out because I presumed the manufacturer had a rational reason for it. Night and day better smoker without the baffle.

PS 2-weeks till the grinder gets here! :emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: civilsmoker
Thank you sir! I was hesitant to cut that baffle out because I presumed the manufacturer had a rational reason for it. Night and day better smoker without the baffle.

PS 2-weeks till the grinder gets here! :emoji_sunglasses:
An open smoker with just inlet control can and will make beautiful cooks!

That’s pretty exciting…..you will be flying sparks very soon!

PS next day brisket and sunny side up eggs is my fav brisket of all time as well!

An open smoker with just inlet control can and will make beautiful cooks!

That’s pretty exciting…..you will be flying sparks very soon!

PS next day brisket and sunny side up eggs is my fav brisket of all time as well!
I already bought a Dickies welder's apron 😂

Reactions: civilsmoker
You’ll always remember your first. Of course, then there’s the crushing disappointment when they all don’t come out like that going forward… :)

I have an Old Country Wrangler smoker - maybe not the best smoker out there but it is the perfect size for me. However, since the day I bought it, it was always a struggle to manage the fire so as to get a good cook. I made a few good meals but something was just off and it always required close attention.

So, yesterday morning, I cut that freakin baffle between the firebox and the cook chamber, out. And I bought a cheap trimmed select grade, not so great looking but it was all they had, brisket point at HEB, for a test run, which I did today.

It ain't Franklin barbecue level brisket, but it is the first brisket I ever cooked that turned out not so bad! Taking the baffle out of the smoker made a world of difference in ease of fire management and consistent temperatures across the cooking area. I mean a 10-fold improvement - I was even able to take a nap this afternoon and the smoker maintained temperature just fine! I wrapped the brisket in pink butcher paper after it looked right and I cooked it until it was probe tender (it was 205-degrees) then nested it in foil (still wrapped in pink butcher paper) so it would not make a mess and put in my microwave for an hour to rest. This is the first brisket I cooked in the smoker that is not burnt on the bottom (because of that nutty baffle).

It came out not so bad and I am glad I got rid of that baffle! :emoji_thumbsup:

View attachment 679122
"not so bad" looks pretty damn tasty to me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky