Reheating portions of brisket; expected 18 hour cook and took 13

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spohnat

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
I cooked a Costco 17lb prime brisket packer yesterday ($3.89 lb in Cleveland) that I trimmed around 3 lbs of fat off of. I put in it around 1 pm and it was at 199 and butter-soft at 2 am. I was expecting it to be done around 7 am. I wrapped it in butcher paper and put it into a yeti with towels and went to bed. I also saved the juices What is my best path to reheating the brisket for football today? Sous vide, oven, steamer or back in the smoker are all options.

I will only need about 4 lbs today for the browns game and the rest will be vacuumed sealed for meals later. My mind set was either burnt ends with BBQ + meat juices or sous vide a chunk w a small amount of meat juice.

To experiment for a future meal, also thinking about doing a little duck fat i need to use up with a portion that I vacuum seal for later.

Attachments

• IMG_4755.jpg
    IMG_4755.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4769.jpg
    IMG_4769.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: JLeonard
I cooked a Costco 17lb prime brisket packer yesterday ($3.89 lb in Cleveland) that I trimmed around 3 lbs of fat off of. I put in it around 1 pm and it was at 199 and butter-soft at 2 am. I was expecting it to be done around 7 am. I wrapped it in butcher paper and put it into a yeti with towels and went to bed. I also saved the juices What is my best path to reheating the brisket for football today? Sous vide, oven, steamer or back in the smoker are all options.

I will only need about 4 lbs today for the browns game and the rest will be vacuumed sealed for meals later. My mind set was either burnt ends with BBQ + meat juices or sous vide a chunk w a small amount of meat juice.

To experiment for a future meal, also thinking about doing a little duck fat i need to use up with a portion that I vacuum seal for later.

I'd slice the whole thing up while it was at it's coldest (will slice WAY better), then I would take what you want to reheat an wrap in foil. Add any juices, or fat, or add nothing.
Put on a pan and reheat in an oven until its about 165F temp and it will be ready to eat :D

It's forgiving on the reheat as long as you don't over heat it (cook it again) to dry it out.
I've reheated in the oven, chaffing dishes, microwave, skillet, crockpot, etc. Never reheated in SV. Will likely never do that because it's more complication than what's needed.

I slice and vac seal as my preferred method of freezing and storing.
When I eat it again I let it defrost in the fridge the day before.
Then I but a little slit into the vac seal bag, put the whole bag on a plate, and put into the microwave. It heats up well with steam in the bag and everything. Again it's forgiving.

You got this man. Enjoy it and the game :D

Reactions: JLeonard
the yetti with towels actually kept this pretty hot in the AM.
I did end up making burnt ends for the game that were heavenly

Reactions: tallbm and mr mac
That was going to be my question. I've been able to get several hours with the FTC method.

I think vacuum seal and sous vide is the best method to reheat any meat. Comes out just like it was minutes after coming off the smoker. Even works perfectly 3 months later straight from the freezer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky