Brisket in freezer for 2 years - should I toss it out?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

abcdefghii

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 22, 2020
A few weeks back someone gave me a brisket that they were no longer planning to cook, during the time they had it they stored it in a deep freeze (I'm assuming a chest type freezer, they specifically said deep freeze leading me to think something more than your average kitchen freezer). I then put it in my freezer and took it out Sunday to defrost, I just started up the smoker a little while ago and while preparing the brisket noticed the date said July 2019, so basically 2 years old. It was sealed, but again, 2 years.

Overall it looks OK, there is a brown area towards the point end, it was not slimy nor did it smell. But, if it's even remotely no good I would rather not chance it and just throw it away.

Thanks.

As far as the brownish part, that's on all briskets around the edge and is usually trimmed off before you cook.

The brown is actually more on the top, here is what it looks like after about 40 minutes on the smoker:

M4KoZOX.jpg
repDFtl.jpg
EP41pkv.jpg

The red circled piece was where the brown was primarily, I should have taken a picture before putting it on there. My thinking was that worst case scenario, it's good practice (only my 2nd brisket) and I won't be out the cost of a brisket.

Sounds like it should be good to go though, and again, even if I screw it up at this point, I'm not out the cost, just some wood / coal and time.

The brown is actually more on the top, here is what it looks like after about 40 minutes on the smoker:

View attachment 506698
View attachment 506699
View attachment 506700

The red circled piece was where the brown was primarily, I should have taken a picture before putting it on there. My thinking was that worst case scenario, it's good practice (only my 2nd brisket) and I won't be out the cost of a brisket.

Sounds like it should be good to go though, and again, even if I screw it up at this point, I'm not out the cost, just some wood / coal and time.
Yep that's the piece I was talking about. Should trim that before cooking. Won't hurt nothin though will just be kind of gristley on that part. Nice looking brisket

That gray grainy area on the edge is just fine, and not freezer burn or anything. The reason for this discoloration is that this edge of the brisket is exposed when the carcass is split into sides, and these sides have various antimicrobial treatments as well as hot water or steam applied to them. This is done to destroy potential pathogens. Most people trim it, but it's not dangerous or anything.

looks delicious!
so no wrap? temp and time?

I actually just went out and wrapped it right after taking that picture, smoker was set to 270F.

So.... it might be ruined.... after taking that earlier picture I wrapped it in foil, poked the meat probe back in and went back inside. The probe was reading about 193F at that point, so started thinking about getting ready to pull it. As I am thinking this I look out the window at the smoker and see fire. Sprinting outside and open the lid and the entire damn thing is on fire, without thinking (and like an idiot I should add) I dumped the water pan over the flames, thankfully it did not cause them to flare up, I should have known better though especially with a grease fire. Anyway, grabbed a shovel to retrieve the brisket from the flaming mess, peeled off the now burnt foil on the bottom and wrapped it in butcher paper.

Currently sitting in the cooler, I'll slice it later and hope it came out good. It felt nice and wobbly when picking it up and the probe slid in fairly easily, so I am hoping I got away with it. Not amused about the flare up in the smoker, it had the temp probe on the lid pegged at the maximum. Not sure what caused it to suddenly flare up like that especially as the temp was staying stable at 270F.

So.... it might be ruined.... after taking that earlier picture I wrapped it in foil, poked the meat probe back in and went back inside. The probe was reading about 193F at that point, so started thinking about getting ready to pull it. As I am thinking this I look out the window at the smoker and see fire. Sprinting outside and open the lid and the entire damn thing is on fire, without thinking (and like an idiot I should add) I dumped the water pan over the flames, thankfully it did not cause them to flare up, I should have known better though especially with a grease fire. Anyway, grabbed a shovel to retrieve the brisket from the flaming mess, peeled off the now burnt foil on the bottom and wrapped it in butcher paper.

Now that would have been somethin' to see. ..

If it probes tender, you should be good. If it's tight you can certainly re-wrap and cook it tender in the oven.

Reactions: MJB05615 and TNJAKE
Yeah, I'm lucky in that I work from home and had set the smoker outside the window where I could keep an eye on it. Fingers crossed, it certainly smells good and tasty!

Do you have a video of that? Lol. Hate to hear the words brisket and shovel in the same sentence.

With that said the fire probably happened because you likely squeezed alot of that juice from the downward facing fat cap out when you picked it up. Even if the smoker is 270 the heat deflector is likely hotter as it has a flame directly under it.

Like thirdeye thirdeye said you can definitely finish it off in the oven. Relax you're probably fine. Luckily it was wrapped and protected from the fire, shovel and water lol

Reactions: MJB05615
Haha a video would likely have been R-rated due to the amount of cursing I was doing at the time.

That was my exact thinking as well with regards to squeezing juice out of it when I picked it up, that then dripping down onto the manifold and whoosh!!

Reactions: TNJAKE
2 years for a cryovac'd brisket? Pshaw. That's practicall fresh around here in my chest freezer.

I was working my way to the bottom of my freezer when covid hit. Stocked it anew and forgot to move the bottom meat to the top. Everything I'm finding now is 2019. Still yummy!

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky