Brisket Choice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
My wife went to Costco the other day and bought me this brisket. I don't have the ability to smoke it and all of the fat cap has been cut away so it would more then likely come out dry like the last one.

PXL_20220426_015317287.jpg PXL_20220426_015343618.jpg

So, I'm wondering what my choices are, could use some advice.

My first thought was to make this into the TNJAKE TNJAKE inspired beef bacon. Not sure if that needs more or less fat.
This being a longer term project, I could have my smoker operational and I could walk around outside in shoes.

My second thought was to make burnt ends like xray xray .
I have people coming over on Wednesday for the CONCACAF champions league final, go Sounders, and i could serve this instead of the planned flank steak.

Any alternative suggestions would be appreciated.

When I did my beef bacon all the fat was trimmed off my brisket flat and it turned out great. Another option would be pastrami. What I wouldn't make out of flat is burnt ends. The point is better and flats will be dry

Is your smoker not working? You could do a Salt and Pepper rub and cook in the oven until IT hit around 190, not probe tender. Then cube up and use for a tasty brisket chili. That would work for the friends too. It tastes better off the smoker though!

Is your smoker not working? You could do a Salt and Pepper rub and cook in the oven until IT hit around 190, not probe tender. Then cube up and use for a tasty brisket chili. That would work for the friends too. It tastes better off the smoker though!
Smoker is not working and I can't fix it until friday.

If you don't want to cure - turn it into pot roast. Shred/chop it and make po boys. Use the jus to make gravy.

Some nice crusty french bread, split and slathered in mayo. Shredded lettuce, thinly sliced tomato and lots of roast beef. Gravy to dip! Briskets make killer pot roast.

trust me..... what you have there will make the BEST dam po boy outside of Ouachita Parish! There used to be this little side shop (now this was 35 years ago or better) right across ULM that had the one I will never forget, the ones that set the standard.

If you don't want to cure - turn it into pot roast. Shred/chop it and make po boys. Use the jus to make gravy.

Some nice crusty french bread, split and slathered in mayo. Shredded lettuce, thinly sliced tomato and lots of roast beef. Gravy to dip! Briskets make killer pot roast.

trust me..... what you have there will make the BEST dam po boy outside of Ouachita Parish! There used to be this little side shop (now this was 35 years ago or better) right across ULM that had the one I will never forget, the ones that set the standard.
That's a good idea, but we just had passover and the meal is just that, a brisket pot roast. I still have some waiting for a tortilla to wrap it up in. Maybe that's why she got it, pot roast is what she does with brisket, and no fat is a good thing.

How about vacuum sealing and freezing it until you have the smoker fixed and yourself fixed :emoji_laughing: Then you can take some time and do it right. You could do the beef bacon or you could inject and smoke. If you mix Beef Broth and Dale's light sodium 50-50 and inject all it will take wrap it and fridge for the night then smoke to about 150-160then foil with a little more of the injection in the foil or pan it will come out fine. Or smoked and used for Po Boys or brisket chili.
You have the flank steak think Fajitas or tacos with the wife's help for Wednesday night gathering.
You have a lot planned for when your walking in shoes again pace yourself and don't over do it.
Flank steak maybe nachos for Wed night

How about vacuum sealing and freezing it until you have the smoker fixed and yourself fixed :emoji_laughing: Then you can take some time and do it right. You could do the beef bacon or you could inject and smoke. If you mix Beef Broth and Dale's light sodium 50-50 and inject all it will take wrap it and fridge for the night then smoke to about 150-160then foil with a little more of the injection in the foil or pan it will come out fine. Or smoked and used for Po Boys or brisket chili.
You have the flank steak think Fajitas or tacos with the wife's help for Wednesday night gathering.
You have a lot planned for when your walking in shoes again pace yourself and don't over do it.
Flank steak maybe nachos for Wed night
I was just sitting here reading SmokinEdge SmokinEdge response in a thread about dry brined pastrami, and had the exact tbought. Freeze it until I had time to figure it out. I don't have to cook it immediately. Brilliant Idea.

I took the thin end off the flat from a full packer that was about 1 1/2 pounds . Put it in the instant pot unseasoned to sear , then cooked at high pressure for 50 minutes , natural release .
Cubed up and in a skillet with some water and taco seasoning . Made great taco meat .

Reactions: Nefarious
Not smoking, I would eyeball stew, a well covered pot roast, or my personal favorite... braised beef tips with mushrooms!!!

I'd do the beef tips and serve over rice or some good butter noodles. If you have never braised a dish, this would a great wait to get your feet wet with an amazing type of meal :)

I’ll second the motion for brisket chili. The best chili I have ever had.
When you did yours, you were able to smoke it. The gas manifold for my smoker is disconnected and I can't reconnect it until hopefully friday. In could possibly smoke it in my grill with a smoke tube but it is a PITA taking off and putting on the boot and it it gets wet i'm in trouble because I have to wear it even in the house.

You could smoke it on the grill using a tube at 250 for 3-4 hours, then move inside to the oven to finish. That would give you some smoke and get you to the stall which is when many people seem to wrap anyway. I’ve put together a pretty tasty recipe if you want it.

Hang in there, the rain will end someday. Maybe!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky