Boykjo's Summer Sausage

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by boykjo, Jan 2, 2012.

1. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

My original post to this thread was lost/deleted when the new forum format changed. I'm editing it and bringing it back.

Boykjo's summer sausage

Steps

1. Add 5 lbs lean hamburger ( I used 90/10 LGB)

2. Add 3.5 tsp Mortons tender quick

3. Add 2 1/2 tsp garlic salt

4 .Add 2 1/2 tsp ground pepper

5. Add 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

6. Add 1 tsp liquid smoke

7. Add 1/2 oz or 14g cultured buttermilk

8. Add 1 tsp black peppercorns

9. 1 tsp mustard seed

Mix all ingredients 1-9 and set in fridge for 24 hrs. Add steps 2 through 9 into the meat again and mix. let sit in fridge for another 24 hrs. fill into fibrous non edible casings and smoke til internal temp reaches 155 degrees.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017 at 5:15 AM
  2. sounds good i will be waiting [​IMG]

3. johnnie walker

johnnie walker Smoking Fanatic

Anticapation. Oh wait a minute. I'll be checking back looking for more QVeiw.[​IMG]

4. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    >>>>>I'll be doing a 10 lb chub of 90/20

Hows that work??

Craig

5. I was waiting for some one to catch that to

6. boykjo

I always put 110 percent effort into my sausage craig...............[​IMG]

7. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

We'll be here!

8. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Now this is one thread I'm gonna be watching very closely. Joe you have my respect in the sausage making world and the last time I was in New York I went to a smoke house that is the oldest in Staten Island and they had the BEST salami that I have ever eaten. If there is anyone that could make salsmi like them I believe it is YOU. So you make and give me the recipe and then I'll be able to make for myself. I have the untmost faith in you.

9. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Whew...now it makes sense...

Craig

10. jrod62

jrod62 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

cant wait to see the rest of the Q-Views

11. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very nice Joe

I will start these larger sausages around April prepping for the June BBQ here.

12. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

i am here and waiting

13. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I've made the same thing (close to ingredints) I put in some fennel, mustard seeds, ect.

but just made into loaves and smoked

THESE are really good can't wait for the pics,

Good luck on your smoke

14. boykjo

Two day double cure is over so I stuffed them in fibrous casings. Cut them in half to make them smaller and so they dont hang down by the burner......

The little water I used in the mix to distribute the seasonings had evaporated and the meat had become very stiff. I am not adding water to the meat to make it softer to push through, just my preference....

[​IMG]

stuffer packed and ready to go....  Get try my Stainless steel stuffing tube I made for the first time

[​IMG]

All stuffed. Looks like I have just a little over 10 lbs. I started out with 9.6 lbs I'll weigh them after the smoke

[​IMG]

Fired up the AMNPS  with hickory and Into the smoker for a two hr smoke with no heat then I'll fire it up and start about 130. Thats about as low as I can go in cold temperatures

[​IMG]

I would like to give a big thanks to Todd Johnson. I ordered some dust for my amns and when I opened the box there was a AMNPS with two 5 lb bags of pellets with my order. What a great surprise christmas gift....... Once again Todd is top shelf..........

[​IMG]

So I guess they will be ready late tonight. Man I havent made salami in years..... Not used to the chubs and the longer smoking time

See you soon

Oh. the pics were from my phone. The wife went to ohio for the week [​IMG] and took the camera...... better than no pics I guess

Joe

15. johnnie walker

johnnie walker Smoking Fanatic

Looking good Joe! [​IMG]

16. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

LOOKS REALLY GOOD, so without adding water was it hard to stuff, what size homemade tube did you use?? Thanks

17. looking goof so far! can't wait to see it done!

18. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looking good Joe 

19. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Great job Joe [​IMG]

Looking forward to the finale  [​IMG]

20. boykjo

Well here they are all smoked up and out of the fridge overnight

[​IMG]

sliced up

[​IMG]

Ok... so what about taste. I called this salami (From the recipe given to me) but I would tend to call it a Summer Sausage salami. It seems to be right in the middle of the two flavors....

I would like a little more tang.

I must say this stuff is pretty good.........[​IMG]

Thanx for looking

Joe