Bodacious Beef Ribs, No More Teasing, Time to Start Pleasing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Yesterday I hit up one of our small local meat markets, South Alabama Custom Meats.
I'd called looking for IMPS #130 Beef chuck, short ribs, and he had them.
I went in and he had two individually wrapped racks frozen, I asked him if he had any more not frozen and still cryo vac'd.
He did, a four pack, I originally only wanted three but he knocked a dollar off per pound if I took all four... SOLD!

rvroOun.jpg

I also picked up a nice rabbit, yeah just one, just my younger son and I will eat it.
Probably cook it up for Sunday dinner, smoked, herb stuffed and bacon wrapped.

A6qnKjF.jpg

Anyways, lets get this cook rolling.

Menu
Hickory Smoked Beef Ribs, basted with a sauce of Black Bean, Lime and Garlic
Grilled Maple Sweet Potatoes
Southwestern Avocado Salad

The Ribs
Four racks of IMPS #130 rubbed with SPOG, paprika and Cajun spice
Wrapped in the fridge overnight, then taken out and allowed to come to room temp
Smoker set to run between 275°-300° with hickory for smoke and a water pan
Plan is to cook these with no crutch/braise and baste a few times towards the end

nmEi0Ib.jpg

z0GvhjM.jpg

Gol6Nia.jpg

More to Come as the Cook Progresses

Southwestern Avocado Salad
Recipe: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/southwestern-avocado-salad.277911/

The ingredients remain pretty much the same as always, but no two batches are ever the same.

FLKQWkr.jpg

nIik5UO.jpg

Coming Soon

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing the finished product...

Just curious, what's IMPS #130???
Thanks,
you and me both... Yum!

IMPS #130 is 'Beef Chuck, Short Ribs'.
IMPS and NAMPS are systems for ordering certain types and cuts of meat.
By ordering using their numbers there is no room for confusion, there are so many different names for or ways to cut a piece of meat, this puts you and your butcher on the same page.
That is if your butcher is a well educated professional in his trade, most meat counter clerks are not.
But if they can and will order meat for you, this is the way to do it.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/grades-standards/imps
or you can also use NAMPS.
http://www.meatbuyersguide.com/promo/porkcuts.html

Last edited:
IMPS and NAMPS are systems for ordering certain types and cuts of meat.
By ordering using their numbers there is no room for confusion, there are so many different names for or ways to cut a piece of meat, this puts you and your butcher on the same page.
That is if your butcher is a well educated professional in his trade, most meat counter clerks are not.
But if they can and will order meat for you, this is the way to do it.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/grades-standards/imps
or you can also use NAMPS.
http://www.meatbuyersguide.com/promo/porkcuts.html

Thanks for the education. I've had troubles ordering beef ribs in the past. Never got what I was asking for. Always got bones will little to no meat on em. This will definitely help.

You've got a really cool cook going!

Avocado salad (which I think I call corn salad....lol) looks delicious. The baste for the beef, with black beans in it, sounds interesting. I can't imagine what that would be like.

Thanks for the education. I've had troubles ordering beef ribs in the past. Never got what I was asking for. Always got bones will little to no meat on em. This will definitely help.
Ideally what we want for ribs are IMPS #123a Beef plate, short ribs, but #130 Chucks are a good second choice.
Sounds like you were getting beef backribs or spareribs, they come in a very distant third and are not good for grilling, they require a long braising to tenderize the small amount of meat there is on them.
Some people refer to them as Shiners, cause the bones shine thru.

You've got a really cool cook going!

Avocado salad (which I think I call corn salad....lol) looks delicious. The baste for the beef, with black beans in it, sounds interesting. I can't imagine what that would be like.
Thanks,
it is smelling so good outside, even with the rain.

The black bean baste is the liquid from two cans of beans that went in the salad, with some beans mashed up, minced garlic and lime juice.
I'm experimenting, it's a first for me too.
At first I was gonna save the liquid for cooking some Arroz Negro tomorrow, but this idea just popped into my head and I'm giving it a shot.

Smoke Vault a smokin' ;)
Did a rack of St Looie suey yesterday,as always no crutch.Legs still work pretty good:D
Check back later

Smoke Vault a smokin' ;)
Did a rack of St Looie suey yesterday,as always no crutch.Legs still work pretty good:D
Check back later
Yes'sir, cooking along at 280° right, 3 hours in and just got to first baste with my dinner date :rolleyes:

Smoke Vault is a Smokin

Y9B5Nf7.jpg

And the ribs are looking so fine

Hf2CKUP.jpg

Chop sweet potatoes into wedges, place on grilling tray, brush with butter and spice with cayenne or Cajun seasoning
Place on grill over med high-high heat and grill till just tender
Brush with Maple glaze and finish

1/4C Maple syrup
1/8C brown sugar
2T butter
1t cinnamon
heat in microwave and mix thoroughly

m9AgdKQ.jpg

NwxnyZU.jpg

Chile, What can I say..... As always you have me drooling all over myself...... Man that looks awesome!!! I bet tastes awesome as well. Way to and definite points!!!!

Those look great . I try to find a meat market last year with no luck . We stay up 180 by the fort . How far is that shop from there ?

Too far,
on a good day it'll be an 1.5-1.75hr drive from 180/53 in Gulf Shores to Dawes Rd/Three Notch Rd in Theodore, AL.
An average day's traffic it'll be 2hrs plus.
Taking the ferry might be faster but way more expensive, but you'd have a real scenic trip, make for a nice day trip into Mobile.

Most any Publix should have them.
Just tell the meat clerk that you want the whole racks of chuck short ribs before they've been cut down.
They generally have them in back, case boxes of two racks per cryovac bag.
Expect to pay $6.00-8.00 per pound, and each rack is 4-5lbs.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky