Blackstone Griddle - To buy or not to buy.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For a second there, I though you said ARB mods and we were gonna start talking about suspension, adding recovery points, how big of tires can I add without cutting fenders, ditch lights and Roof Top Tent. Talk about gadgets and spending money.....
Now I feel like I am on my TJ jeep Wrangler forum...lol

Gadgets?!?!?? Just what I need more stuff... :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out.

I really want to do a Hibachi grill cook on one of these. It may sound corny but I love that Hibachi grill food.

JC :emoji_cat:

Well, I done did it... I was leaning toward the 28" version but it was just too low. I figured I could raise it but that cost and hassle made the 36" version more appealing. Also the 36" version has fold down sides which will allow me to use the same amount of space to store it as the 28" version. I say that is a win - win. :emoji_cat:

I bought a 30 pound propane tank for the griddle. Now I just need to figure out what accessories to get. What do you use for a burger smasher?

When I told the wife, she was actually excited to start having griddle cooked meals outside on the patio. She is even buying a new table and chairs for it. Didn't see that coming. :emoji_grinning: :emoji_sunglasses:

Just waiting on delivery now. Can't wait to fire that bad boy up and get the flat top nicely seasoned.

Thanks everyone for your help. It made my buying decision far easier and far better informed. This forum really rocks!!! :emoji_guitar::emoji_microphone:

Reactions: JLeonard and TNJAKE
Maybe an exhaust fan for the garage ?

I have been thinking of doing just that. I have a perfect spot right by the window. I don't think I could get that passed the wife though...

We’re about to do a DIY kitchen remodel. It’s been recommended by members of this forum that I consider getting a Blackstone. Other than helping out with large pancake breakfasts I have no experience with them.

I’m wondering if they can double as a stovetop? Can I put a pan or pot on it if needed? I understand the point is cooking directly on it but I’m thinking about sauces or soups or simmering something. I do have a portable burner but instead of firing up both I just wondered if anyone has done this? Thanks.

We’re about to do a DIY kitchen remodel. It’s been recommended by members of this forum that I consider getting a Blackstone. Other than helping out with large pancake breakfasts I have no experience with them.

I’m wondering if they can double as a stovetop? Can I put a pan or pot on it if needed? I understand the point is cooking directly on it but I’m thinking about sauces or soups or simmering something. I do have a portable burner but instead of firing up both I just wondered if anyone has done this? Thanks.
Yes. You can. Works fine for this.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Now I just need to figure out what accessories to get. What do you use for a burger smasher?

Really, all you need are a couple of the long spatulas, a squirt bottle or two and a scrapper. The scrapper is used to clean the griddle during and after use. There is the Dome to cover things to melt and steam. If you get the heavy duty spatula, those can be used for the burger smasher. And a bazillion paper towels to wipe it all down.

Now, if you want gadgets, you can get an infrared thermometer to read the surface temperature of the griddle. There are wind guards to consider, taco stands...... it goes on and on.

Watch a couple videos on seasoning the surface. There is, naturally, a debate on the best kind of oil to use. I went old school with Crisco.

Cleaning is easy. After I scrap it, I squirt it with water to boil off any residue, then put on a couple thin layers of Crisco to keep the surface nice and non-stick...

Have fun assembling it and setting it up!! Post pictures....

Reactions: JC in GB
Well, I done did it... I was leaning toward the 28" version but it was just too low. I figured I could raise it but that cost and hassle made the 36" version more appealing. Also the 36" version has fold down sides which will allow me to use the same amount of space to store it as the 28" version. I say that is a win - win. :emoji_cat:

I bought a 30 pound propane tank for the griddle. Now I just need to figure out what accessories to get. What do you use for a burger smasher?

When I told the wife, she was actually excited to start having griddle cooked meals outside on the patio. She is even buying a new table and chairs for it. Didn't see that coming. :emoji_grinning: :emoji_sunglasses:

Just waiting on delivery now. Can't wait to fire that bad boy up and get the flat top nicely seasoned.

Thanks everyone for your help. It made my buying decision far easier and far better informed. This forum really rocks!!! :emoji_guitar::emoji_microphone:

Our job is finished...:emoji_sunglasses:

my wonderful wife bought me blackstone accessory kit. it was expensive (in my eyes) but it's high quality stuff. even got a steamer top for smash burgers

Reactions: Steve H
I consider the infrared thermometer an important item to have. Especially when seasoning it.
I have a new one I can throw in the mail for you if you want.

Reactions: JC in GB
I consider the infrared thermometer an important item to have. Especially when seasoning it.
I have a new one I can throw in the mail for you if you want.
Than you for the offerbut I already have one. I use it for my pizza oven.

Reactions: Steve H

Just

See thats the way you gotta do it...."baby we need a (insert whatever she wants here) so that you can relax while I cook on the (next gadget)." Gotta give a little so you can get a little.....LOL. Oh so I've heard. Not how it works in my house.

Jim

Thanks all for the input. So, I went to the dealer and looked at the griddles. I am leaning heavily toward the 28". My remaining questions are. Is the hood worth getting? Does it assist in cooking or just as a cover? Also, the 28" model is pretty short. What is a good way to raise the frame up?

Thanks for your help. It has been quite valuable.

It’s just a cover. I highly recommend it it keeps larger animals off it and the weather. If you close it while cooking it’ll bubble the paint and ruin it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky