Blackstone Griddle - To buy or not to buy.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
I was shopping in my local hardware store and came upon a display of Blackstone griddles.
I didn't realize there were so many flavors of this unit. Well, now that I have seen one up close, I am contemplating just how much I need one.

I know that there are a number of Blackstone owners on the forum. Can you give me any pros, cons, or things I should be aware of with different sizes of these bad boyz when considering a purchase?

Thanks for any help....

JC :emoji_cat:

You will never regret buying a bigger one. I have a 28" camp chef here in NY and a36' blackstone in PA. The blackstone hands down is the best with the hard cover and rear grease trap. Once seasoned and oiled after a cook, I can go 3 months of it being outside (covered) and can cook on it without any issues.

I was shopping in my local hardware store and came upon a display of Blackstone griddles.
I didn't realize there were so many flavors of this unit. Well, now that I have seen one up close, I am contemplating just how much I need one.

I know that there are a number of Blackstone owners on the forum. Can you give me any pros, cons, or things I should be aware of with different sizes of these bad boyz when considering a purchase?

Thanks for any help....

I’d just say if you’re no space constrained go with the 36 or whatever the bigger one is. Being able to do 3/4 differ things in them at the same time is the run of it . Space or budget doesn’t allow it tho, the smaller ones are still worth the purchase. Never met anyone that didn’t love theirs just depends on space and budget IMO

I have the Blackstone 28in Pro Series with the hinged lid. I can't come up with a con. Feeds my family of 6 well

How many folks do you think your cooking for? The BS griddles are very nice griddles.
I have a 22"tabletop one. And for 4 people. It is plenty. The quality is really good on these. And they only take common sense care to keep them working great. I have a 17"one for the RV. Again. Great unit. I got the adapter to plug into the main propane tank on the RV. Once you have them seasoned. They are virtually non-stick.

How many folks do you think your cooking for? The BS griddles are very nice griddles.
I have a 22"tabletop one. And for 4 people. It is plenty. The quality is really good on these. And they only take common sense care to keep them working great. I have a 17"one for the RV. Again. Great unit. I got the adapter to plug into the main propane tank on the RV. Once you have them seasoned. They are virtually non-stick.

Most likely cooking for 2 but would like capacity for 6.

There's just me and the wife and she only eats about 20% of the stuff I cook. Whatever you decide get one with a top, I had to make one for my 22"er. They can't be beat for breakfast and burgers. RAY

Reactions: JC in GB
Like mentioned earlier...if space isn't an issue, I'd go with a 36 ". We were going to get a small tabletop one until my wife won one at her company Christmas party two years ago! I've never thought wished it was smaller! Just the two of us most of the time but if kids are home, there's more. Don't have to use all the burners, all of the time!

Ryan

I have the older 28 " . I love it . There's just something about them . They make great food . I cook for 3 most of the time , and have always had plenty of space for extra .
This might give you some idea of the cooking area on a 28 .
20220905_164533.jpg
20220905_164537.jpg
1673901810360.jpeg

I have a 28inch BS and I love it. Wish I could use it more. Usually just the little man (3yo) my wife and myself. We have done a birthday party with about 30 people that it worked fine for also, just have to keep things moving. If you get one you will not regret it.

I had a 36” camp chef flat top that I sold. I ended up getting a great deal on it and it was actually cheaper than a blackstone. The griddle part of it was kinda uneven and a pain to level it. Drive me nuts. The surface of the griddle wasn’t as smooth as a blackstone and kinda made it harder to clean. It had the front grease trap that I thought I would like but ended up not liking it in the front. All those made me decide to sell it and I plan on getting a blackstone with the hard cover once I transfer. I agree with others. The 36” is a good size. Bigger is better even if you don’t need it it was nice with the extra space to cook things at different temps especially for breakfast or roasting. In’s with burgers. Better to have the extra room than be crammed!

It had the front grease trap that I thought I would like but ended up not liking it in the front.
Mine's the older Blackstone with the front drain . It's the only Con I have for mine , but didn't mention it because they fixed it on the newer Blackstone models .

I have a 36" rear drain model but at the time they didn't offer the tops like they do now. I bought an aftermarket hard cover and it works but is not near as nice as the ones that you can buy with the unit.
It's just the wife and I most of the time but sometimes have more and as was said you don't have to light all the burners. I cook my version of a hibachi recipe and it's nice having all the burners I can keep one or two at a lower heat and cook stuff and slide it to that section to keep warm.
I would not buy smaller than the 28" model like Jake has and if space and money didn't matter a whole lot I'd get the 36" model

Should have mentioned as well...only con to ours is it didn't have the hard lid either. Was thinking of aftermarket one as well, but not sure if they don't fit as well. Ours stays in garage but gets dusty without a top or cover.

Ryan

Something else for you to consider is a Camp Chef 16" stove system . It's what I did and got the griddles for it. One griddle is 24" the other 12" giving you 36" of griddle space. You can remove the griddles and have access to a three burner stove for doing canning, a pot of sweet corn or a low country boil. Plus I bought the other accessories like the pizza oven and the box grill. Lot of versatility and bang for your buck. So much more than just a griddle.

SANY0004.jpg

SANY0002.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky