Auber WS-1510H-W first impressions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sm0kin

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 25, 2013
Liberty, MO
Today I finished an overnight smoke on 20 lbs of bone in pork shoulders, first run with the Auber. Overall I like it, with a couple caveats so far.
1. I cannot get the alarm feature on the app to work. The controller sounds, but the app gives zero notification. Hopefully that can be fixed short term, kind of a big deal.
2. You cannot rename the third probe, it’s just called probe 3.
3. You cannot rename the recipes. It’s just b1,b2 , c1,c2 , f1,f2 for beef,chicken,fish

I like having the WiFi, the app is decent overall, and the temp is controlled far better than the stock masterbuilt unit hands down. It was very windy last night so the temp fluctuations were in the 5 degree range. I’m hoping that will tighten up after I get the settings right.

81196D5B-5BE4-4CC0-98E0-A3829E2B3B1C.png

Attachments

• 5586B8A2-3F94-4656-91BA-D7248DF7F87B.png
    5586B8A2-3F94-4656-91BA-D7248DF7F87B.png
    375.3 KB · Views: 16
I see on your screen shot the notification bell has a line through it. Give them a call or email also with the other two concerns.

Reactions: sm0kin
I see on your screen shot the notification bell has a line through it. Give them a call or email also with the other two concerns.
You are correct, but every time you press, it says alarm silence succeeded, and it never changes. The line through it remains, and the alarm is not activated.

Per the nice folks at Auber, in order for the alarm to work you must keep the phone from sleeping and have the app open.... while plugged in...
They are looking into alternatives to fix the app and a timeframe, kinda makes the meat probes useless if I need to use another device

Thanks for the update!

It sounds like some quirks are being worked out with the app. I agree the alarm feature not being so usable sucks.
Who wants to plug their phone in the entire time they are doing a smoke! I get it if you are doing an overnight smoke where you are sleeping but other than that it makes it hard to tether your phone to a chord all day :(

An alternative would be to use a tablet or an old phone and put the app on it and hook it up... that is if you have that stuff and have it lying around not being used.

What phone do you have IPhone or Android?

iPhone 6 Plus. I have an iPad Air 2 and an iPad Pro 12.9 that I can put the app on. I suppose I could run the app on the Air2 and leave it plugged in, but I’m not sure what impact that has on the battery?!?!

iPhone 6 Plus. I have an iPad Air 2 and an iPad Pro 12.9 that I can put the app on. I suppose I could run the app on the Air2 and leave it plugged in, but I’m not sure what impact that has on the battery?!?!

I have no idea. I hope you would be ok to do this only when you smoke meat.

Now we are talking Apple products and Apple clearly got got sabotaging the battery usage on their products to get owners to buy the latest versions, so all bets are off when it comes to predicting how the battery will hold up hahahaha :)

You are welcome. I looked at the 1st photo and it dawned on me that it was identical to the SI App and that there may be some additional info that could be of use.

I remembered I have an old 10” kindle fire HD with android booted on it.
I had a small display plate holder , that fit the Tab A perfect . I set it on the counter , and I can see it without walking over to it .

Thanks for that info Sarge, it is exactly the same as what they provided me only this copy says smokin-it all over it.
I remembered I have an old 10” kindle fire HD with android booted on it. I think I might set it up as a dedicated device for the app while home

Give it a try! The Android community is a billion times more wide open with apps and the ability to update the apps and make them available to the public vs the often insane micromanagement approach that Apple takes for people to create, update, and distribute apps for Apple products.

This means that the Android version of the app may be running along smoothly and might even be part of what is called an "open source" effort where anyone capable of improving the app using the proper techniques can actually do so.

Let us know what you find out! :)

Give it a try! The Android community is a billion times more wide open with apps and the ability to update the apps and make them available to the public vs the often insane micromanagement approach that Apple takes for people to create, update, and distribute apps for Apple products.

This means that the Android version of the app may be running along smoothly and might even be part of what is called an "open source" effort where anyone capable of improving the app using the proper techniques can actually do so.

Let us know what you find out! :)
App is the same :(
My old kindle fire HD is going to be my go to for overnight smokes , that way the alarm function can wake me up

App is the same :(
My old kindle fire HD is going to be my go to for overnight smokes , that way the alarm function can wake me up

Not an ideal solution but it will work until the day they update the app. The good thing is that you will have alarms and can rock and roll now! :)

Well it was a great plan :emoji_laughing:

The android version doesn’t make any sound during alarm, only a screen visual. Back to iOS lol.
Tried iPad Air with screen locked on, brightness at lowest setting, volume max and app running with iPad unplugged. Only lost 30% battery over 8 hours in initial test. That’s easily manageable, as I left iPad cover closed on my nightstand during overnight test. I’m hoping to find out if the internal alarm in the controller can be silenced or volume reduced. It’s loud!!! I could hear it from my neighbors garage today easily 150 yards away. Hell it would probably wake me up if I was sleeping (and my neighbors too)
I’m sure there’s more to share soon, but for now I’m anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new blackstone 36” griddle :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky