Masterbuilt 30" digital use with Auber PID controller

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pyma6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
The control panel on my Masterbuilt 30" digital is no longer readable. The ON/OFF switch still works and I can set Temp and Time and get the heater to turn on, but the display is not readable and have no idea what the settings are. In an effort to salvage the smoker, I purchased an Auber AW-WST-1510H PID controller. I am thinking that I will have to bypass the control panel of the smoker in order for the external controller to be able to turn the heater of the smocker on. What wiring changes do I need to make to the smoker?
Thanks for any insight.

The control panel on my Masterbuilt 30" digital is no longer readable. The ON/OFF switch still works and I can set Temp and Time and get the heater to turn on, but the display is not readable and have no idea what the settings are. In an effort to salvage the smoker, I purchased an Auber AW-WST-1510H PID controller. I am thinking that I will have to bypass the control panel of the smoker in order for the external controller to be able to turn the heater of the smocker on. What wiring changes do I need to make to the smoker?
Thanks for any insight.
Hi there and welcome!

Yep you will have to do a simple rewire. In short you cut the ends off 4 wires and wire nut the proper ends to make 2 whole wires. At this point the plug will feed power directly to the heating element with no control.

This is where the Auber comes in to control the heat.
You plug the MES into the Auber. The Auber into the wall outlet and then drop the Auber temp probe down the vent and clip to the bottom of the lowest smoker rack.

The Auber will now read temperature and feed power to the MES so that it hits and holds the temp you punch into the Auber :D

For rewiring here is a big detailed post with pics to help you out. Ask all the questions you have and we will get you into the PID club with us :D

Hi there and welcome!

Yep you will have to do a simple rewire. In short you cut the ends off 4 wires and wire nut the proper ends to make 2 whole wires. At this point the plug will feed power directly to the heating element with no control.

This is where the Auber comes in to control the heat.
You plug the MES into the Auber. The Auber into the wall outlet and then drop the Auber temp probe down the vent and clip to the bottom of the lowest smoker rack.

The Auber will now read temperature and feed power to the MES so that it hits and holds the temp you punch into the Auber :D

For rewiring here is a big detailed post with pics to help you out. Ask all the questions you have and we will get you into the PID club with us :D

tallbm, I just wanted to thank you for that gen-1 re-wire thread. I had no idea there was a relay board on the bottom of these smokers until i read that thread. I did the re-wire today to get my mes 40 ready for the PID box I'm putting together this week.

tallbm, I just wanted to thank you for that gen-1 re-wire thread. I had no idea there was a relay board on the bottom of these smokers until i read that thread. I did the re-wire today to get my mes 40 ready for the PID box I'm putting together this week.
Hahahah, nice to see you are about to join the club!
Glad I could help share the knowledge :)

Let us know how it comes out and if you need any tuning help.
I look forward to seeing how you enjoy it and what you make with your 1st PID smoke :)

Reactions: river100
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky