Assistance With Larger Smoker Load

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hiram

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Asheville NC
I've been asked to supply the pulled pork for our Fall Festival at the church. I need enough for 100 people going thru the line (will be poretioning out meat on the bun), I figure 3 10lb butts will do the job accounting for fat loss and shrinkage I should end up with 22 to 23 lbs of meat.

I've cooked 2 8lb butts at once, 6 hrs of smoke and at 250 usually requires 20 hrs to reach 200 internal temp then foil and towel for 3-4 hrs in cooler. I'm wondering what kind of time table I would need for 3 10lbers at same temp in the MES40 with the same procedure.

Just as ballpark I was thinking maybe 24 to 25 hrs to internal temp of 200 and maybe 4 hrs in the cooler, does this sound plausible. I know with 30 lbs in there the stall is going to be quite long, anyone help with input, thanks

First off you are planning on a 73% yield, that is not very likely. Also 22 lbs of PP is 352oz / 4oz portions = 88 sandwiches. Even if you go light you will be uncomfortably close and that is if whomever is scooping is spot on with every sandwich, rarely happens...You really should purchase more Pork. Figure more of a 60% yield so...

42lbs Pork as purchased X 0.6 yield = 25.2 lbs Pulled Pork X 16 = 403 oz / 4 = 101 sandwiches...

As far as cook time, as long as you don't open the MES a lot, you can pretty much figure 2hrs/lb with a 2hr CYA/Rest, for the largest Butt and the smaller ones will be done slightly sooner. Good luck...JJ

So you think another 10 lber would be in order, I can understand that and is no problem I have about 10, 10lbers in the freezer. All of them came from the meatcase when they were on sale (went from store to store all over town looking for the big ones), I guess the reason I thought 3 would do as I have always got more quanity from these than packer butts from Sams but advice I asked for and advice I will take, 4 butts it is.

You suggest 2hrs per lb but surely with all this meatload I should be looking at considerebly more than 20-22 hrs don't you think, rotating the racks and all weighing in at 10 plus or minus 4 ozs they should be done within an hour of each other. The total timetable for a load this large is what has me stymied, advice please.

As long as you dont open door alot Chef is telling you right!

40 pounds of fresh but wont give alot a room i dont think.  I very seldom get more than 50%

I agree with JJ but would like to suggest you give yourself a safety valve of at least 4 hours. If they get done early you can always wrap them in foil then in towels and put them into a warm cooler. I have held them like this for 6-7 hours and they were still too hot to handle. When you are looking at the butts you may have to determine how much trim you will loose with fat cap. Try to pick ones with a small amount of fat cap for better yield.     

JJ Nailed it I usually get 60 percent yield from butts and maybe 40 percent yield from picnics.

If you go with 40 pounds of butt I would throw in two picnics, just to be safe.

I would rather have leftovers, than turn away hungry folks.

I done our Blue and Gold Banquet for the cub scouts I guess around 60 or so folks the yield was about 15 pounds, but this was only one of the many food choices at the banquet.

Here is a link to that particular cook with the results, hope you mods don't mind the link.

Jack Daniels Pulled Pork

My suggestion for cooking for the masses (no pun intended) I would use small slider rolls, you would be amazed how much food goes to waste on larger rolls.

Myself it would consider 6 butts equaling the 40 lbs of raw product. I really like the bark and smoke flavor the outside of the butts produce and with smaller roasts the fat caps usually are thinner. I'm with the rest of the gang that more is better and having leftover pulled pork in the freezer is always a great thing to have.
Beer.gif

I know it was a long time ago when I initally posted this but thought I needed to give the final result. Due to suggestions I went with 4 10lb butts (which was right on guys) figured on a 24hr cook with 4hrs smoke.I didn't lose as much due to shrinkage as I thought I would and had just enough for the event ( I mean who turns down free BBQ) . Kept  warm in 2 old style cookers and there wasn't a shred left afterwards, thanks for all the advice.

This is 4-5 hrs in:

Around 19 hrs.

All butts finished at 200 degrees, 24 hrs total and foiled in the cooler for 4 hrs, thanks for all the advice once again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky