Armadillo Eggs in the Shell

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
If you haven’t heard of Armadillo eggs before, they are a cheese stuffed jalapeno wrapped in sausage and smoked. While they are very tasty, I decided they would be better with a seasoned crispy crust. Welcome to Armadillo Eggs in the Shell!

I used my OFG Breakfast Sausage for the sausage but any bulk breakfast sausage would be fine.

I sliced some jalapeno peppers to get 12 slices about 3/8 inch (1 cm wide). Remove the seed and membranes from the slices.

Armadillo-Eggs-in-the-Shell-01.jpg

Mix 50 ml (1/4 cup) of cream cheese with 50 ml (1/4 cup) shredded cheddar together. Push the cheese mixture into the jalapenon slices.

Armadillo-Eggs-in-the-Shell-02.jpg

Form some of the sausage into a ball about the size of a walnut and press it into a 1/4 inch (64 mm) thick patty. Put a jalapeno slice on the patty and pull the sausage meat up around it. Put enough sausage to cover the jalapeno on top and form into a ball.

Repeat with remaining 12 jalapeno slices.

This can be done up to a day in advance. Just cover the balls and put them in the fridge.

Armadillo-Eggs-in-the-Shell-03.jpg

Make a flour dredge by mixing:

• 175 ml (3/4 cup) flour
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) BBQ Rub
  • 3 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
  • 3 ml (1/2 tsp) garlic powder
  • 3 ml (1/2 tsp) onion powder
Make an egg wash by mixing:

• 15 ml (1 tbsp) sriracha
  • 150 ml (2/3 cup) milk
  • 1 egg
Put a ball in the egg wash with your left hand and turn to wet the whole surface. Put the ball in the flour dredge with your left hand. Shovel flour dredge over it with your right hand and put it on a plate.

Repeat with remaining 11 balls.

Dip a ball in the egg wash a second time and give a second cover of flour dredge and put it on a plate.

Repeat with the remaining balls.

Let the balls sit for 15 minutes to set the coating.

Armadillo-Eggs-in-the-Shell-04.jpg

Put the balls in a 425 F (220 C) smoker. Cook for 15 minutes.

Armadillo-Eggs-in-the-Shell-06.jpg

Brush with vegetable oil. Cook for another 15 minutes. Make sure the internal temperature is over 165 F (74 C).

Serve with Sweet Thai Chili Sauce.

Armadillo Eggs in the Shell 07.jpg

The Verdict

These are an excellent appetizer or light lunch dish. The touch of heat from the jalapeno, the creaminess of the cheese mixture, the spiced breakfast sausage and the crispy crust go together so well!

I will be making this again!

Disco

Last edited:
Man those look good! If I had a plate of those it would be armadillo eggs for breakfast.

Ryan

Looks great Disco!

I recently made armadillo eggs with 1lb of chorizo. I was only able to get 3 eggs made.

How much sausage did you use? I might try slicing the jalapeños next time if it stretches things out a lil further.

Looks nice. I’ve not tried them yet

Looks great Disco!

I recently made armadillo eggs with 1lb of chorizo. I was only able to get 3 eggs made.

How much sausage did you use? I might try slicing the jalapeños next time if it stretches things out a lil further.

If you use whole jalapenos you get a much larger egg that is good for a meal but I find a little big for an appetizer or light lunch. I used about 600 grams (1 1/2 pounds) of sausage to get 12 appetizers that are a tad smaller than pool balls.

Looks nice. I’ve not tried them yet

Give them a go. They are a tasty treat.

Looks delicious

Thanks so much!

Reactions: JLeonard
How creative! Never saw Rings before just halfs or whole stuffed Jalapenos...JJ

Well Disco when you come back you do it with a vengeance!

Looks real good from here!

BIG LIKE!

John

Thanks so much, John!

Excellent execution Disco! I love your creativity in the kitchen my friend. Big Like!

Creativity? Har! She Who Must Be Obeyed uses the term insanity! Thanks so much.

Another excellent recipe to add to my "Passing Wind Estates" collection. Thanks Disco!!!

I appreciate that!

How creative! Never saw Rings before just halfs or whole stuffed Jalapenos...JJ

Thanks, Jimmy! I find the stuffed halves just too big for my old appetite.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky