OFG Breakfast Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I was out of sausage and it was time to make more. This is my go to sausage recipe. It is a modification on Pop's recipe http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/73350/country-style-breakfast-sausage.

I have adjusted the seasonings to my tastes but really appreciate Pop's great foundation recipe.

I started by mixing the seasonings together. For every kg (2.2 pounds) of pork shoulder:

• 12.5 grams (0.44 ounces) salt
  • 2.2 grams (0.8 ounces) black pepper
  • 1.5 grams (0.06 ounces) fresh sage, finely chopped or 0.7 grams (0.03 ounces) dried sage
  • 0.65 grams (0.03 ounces) ground ginger
  • 1 gram (0.04 ounces) fresh thyme or 0.5 grams(0.02 ounces) dried thyme
  • 0.9 grams (0.04 ounces) dried ground chipotle

one.jpg

I mixed the seasonings together and poured them over the pork shoulder which I had cube to about 1 inch. I mixed well and put the pork in the fridge for an hour.

two.jpg

I ran the pork through the medium plate on my KitchenAid grinder attachment.

three.jpg

I spread the meat out on a tray and poked indentations with my fingertips. I sprinkled 50 ml (1/4 cup) of ice water per 1 kg (2.2 pounds) of meat over the mixture.

Four.jpg

I mixed it thoroughly by folding the mixture over in half and pressing flat. Then I rotate the tray 1/4 turn, fold in half, press and repeat for 3 minutes. I put the meat in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill. While it was chilling I did a fry test.

five.jpg

I set up my vertical stuffer with six feet of 22 mm collagen casings per KG of meat and stuffed my sausage.

six.jpg

I pinch the sausage every four inches and cut into links at the pinch.

seven.jpg

I put the links on a tray and put them in the freezer for 2 hours.

eight.jpg

Then I vacuum sealed them in small bags of six each which is one breakfast serving for She Who Must Be Obeyed and I.

There is a reason this is my go to breakfast sausage. It has a nice herb/heat blend that just meets my tastes.

Disco

Looks good! I heard alot of people diss collagen vs Natural casings. As some one who is new to sausage making and using a 1 pound jerky gun to shoot the meat..which is better for me to use for edible casing?

PS: Disco I was gonna PM ya and forgot but some one was talking about a blueberry wild rice summer sausage and I actually thought to ask you if you had any ideas on such a thing. :)

Great looking sausage Disco. I would sure like to have a couple links with some fried eggs tomorrow morning.

I'd almost pay overnight shipping. :cool:

Reactions: disco
There is not doubt in my mind that natural casings are superior but collagen give a good result. The problem with natural for breakfast sausage is that you have to go to sheep casings which are hard to find. Also, natural is harder to store and more prone to blow outs. I could hunt down sheep casings but I do fine with collagen and can't be bothered. No one has turned down any of my breakfast sausage!

Using a jerky gun to stuff might be a bit of a chore but I have not tried it so good luck! If it doesn't work out, sausage patties are a great option.

I've never heard of a blueberry rice summer sausage but would love to see how it turns out!

Great looking sausage Disco. I would sure like to have a couple links with some fried eggs tomorrow morning.

I'd almost pay overnight shipping. :cool:
They never seem to get through the border inspection! I guess you'll have to come here for one!

They never seem to get through the border inspection! I guess you'll have to come here for one!

Now that would be a road trip worth taking. Seems as though the border guards could find more dangerous items to look for. On the other hand; Maybe the word is out about how good your sausage is, and that is why they stop it at the border.

I pinch the sausage every four inches and cut into links at the pinch.
How many CM or MM is four inches?
Just kidding Disco,you always do a fine job of sharing "regular measurements" for us southerners in your threads.
As usual,a delicious looking product.;)

How many CM or MM is four inches?
Just kidding Disco,you always do a fine job of sharing "regular measurements" for us southerners in your threads.
As usual,a delicious looking product.;)
Four inches is ten cm or 100 mm! Some day, you will join the rest of the world! Thanks for the kind words.

Now that would be a road trip worth taking. Seems as though the border guards could find more dangerous items to look for. On the other hand; Maybe the word is out about how good your sausage is, and that is why they stop it at the border.
Har! Border guard sausage party!

i am also playing around with "pops" recipe but don't think i'll be using as many ingredients as you
just salt , black pepper , red pepper and sage , but i haven't quite got the measurements right just yet but i'll be making some more this up coming week . also i always use a fine grind on all my sausage both smoked and patties

Last edited:
I'm running low on sausage myself and may give your variation on the Pop's recipe a try. I've got some back stock of trimmed pork butts (cut into strips for the grinder when deboning, and then vac packed and frozen) and this may be the perfect first "grind" for my new LEM #12 big bite that is being delivered next week.

Thanks for sharing the variation on the recipe. I'm going to save this as "PWE Breakfast Sausage 2.0" (I have the other one as well)

i am also playing around with "pops" recipe but don't think i'll be using as many ingredients as you
just salt , black pepper , red pepper and sage , but i haven't quite got the measurements right just yet but i'll be making some more this up coming week . also i always use a fine grind on all my sausage both smoked and patties
That is the great thing about Pop's recipe. It gives you such a great foundation to build on! As for the fine grind, it is a matter of taste. I like fine grind but I prefer the chew of medium.

I'm running low on sausage myself and may give your variation on the Pop's recipe a try. I've got some back stock of trimmed pork butts (cut into strips for the grinder when deboning, and then vac packed and frozen) and this may be the perfect first "grind" for my new LEM #12 big bite that is being delivered next week.

Thanks for sharing the variation on the recipe. I'm going to save this as "PWE Breakfast Sausage 2.0" (I have the other one as well)
Thanks, Dave! I am really jealous of that new grinder. My old KitchenAid is not the best.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky