Apple cider beef shorties on the GMG Jim Bowie - absolute treat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edward36

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 3, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Hi guys,

Apple cider and beef short ribs... Never thought it's gonna be that good! Very simple method - 2 hours open smoke, 2 house in a foil pan with apple cider, wrapped, and 30 min rest.

Had this very nice rack of 3 ribs. Sprinkled it with a rub from my local supplier - we call it "Pistol powder", cause the ingredients include activated charcoal!
After 2 hours put the rubs in a foil pan, added about a cup of apple cider, added some more spices, covered and let it sit for extra 2 hours (you can do 2.5 hours, it's gonna be fine). Smoker temperature - 250f (120C). Did not take IT measurement - after this amount of heat it's going to be 200% ready.

1591441186063.jpg
1591441338042.jpg
1591441590520.jpg

Awesome looking ribs. Can’t find them like that around here.
I do enjoy beef ribs. We glaze ours with a savory bbq sauce at the end.

On my very first date with my wife we went to a place named Darrell’s. I was so nervous I ordered a sandwich and could barely eat. She ordered the beef ribs. I looked over and She was chomping down on a big old rib. It was love at first site!

Johnny Ray

Awesome looking ribs. Can’t find them like that around here.
I do enjoy beef ribs. We glaze ours with a savory bbq sauce at the end.

On my very first date with my wife we went to a place named Darrell’s. I was so nervous I ordered a sandwich and could barely eat. She ordered the beef ribs. I looked over and She was chomping down on a big old rib. It was love at first site!

Johnny Ray

Good one, mate!!!
Where are you from, that you can't find good beef shorties?! Did those bloody vegans invade your area? :)

edward36, it looks awesome. I also want to try and cook it using cider. By the way, where do you usually get all the supplement you need, including cider? I've ben searching for good and cider related websites lately, and could discover these cider brands on the site, which is all about it. I've heard a lot of positive comments about that site, and now want to try and order some cider sets from them.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky