Beef Back Ribs...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
Back around Christmas, I had bought several rib roasts from Publix with the ribs cut away from the roast. At $5.98/lb., these were a deal. The roast were cut into steaks and the ribs were vacuum sealed and frozen. When they bone out these rib roasts, they leave more meat on the ribs because it's all being sold together, so these were meaty. Took out 3 racks to smoke, seasoned with my homemade concoction and in the fridge for a rest...
20230426_054016[1].jpg

Fired up my Ok. Joe with some Jealous Devil lump and oak splits for the cook. Smoke rolling, but it is ugly...
20230426_133744[1].jpg

So I got out the mower to cut the weeds in the backyard and came back to it afterwards. Smoke is looking better now...
20230426_140302[1].jpg

On they go for a few hours...
20230426_140213[1].jpg

The ribs are at about 205℉ I.T. so I put them in an aluminum pan with maybe a cup of unsalted beef broth, wrapped tightly with foil, and put them in my oven at 175℉ to wait on the rice to get done.
20230426_160620[1].jpg

Meanwhile back in the kitchen, I still have some of the portabella mushrooms left that didn't make the cut to be stuffed and I had some wild rice so a match was made...
20230426_131655[1].jpg

About 1 cup of the rice, 2 cups of unsalted beef broth, and a healthy TBSP of unsalted butter went into the pot...
20230426_163813[1].jpg

The mushrooms were sliced and sauted in some EVOO and butter...
20230426_171858[1].jpg

After the rice had simmered for about 45 minutes, I stirred in the mushrooms and adjusted the seasoning...
20230426_174229[1].jpg

Back to the ribs, I pulled them from the oven and sliced them up...
20230426_180051[1].jpg

20230426_180326[1].jpg

Served with fresh Walmart corn on the cob which was just OK. I can't wait for local corn to come in.

Give thanks...
20230426_181351[1].jpg

Time to eat...
20230426_181430[1].jpg

Total time in the smoker was maybe 5 hours and then an hour in the oven while I cooked the rice. They were very tender and everyone loved them, fortunately, because I have a couple more in the freezer...:emoji_wink:

I'm not overly religious, but I'd be praying for a rack of those ribs Charles. Way to go!!!

Point for sure
Chris
I appreciate the kind words, Chris. You know you'd be welcome to a seat at our table anytime, my friend...

I appreciate the kind words, Chris. You know you'd be welcome to a seat at our table anytime, my friend...
Don't say that too loud Charles. I pass thru the Carolina's when I visit my daughter in Georgia. You may just find a fat old man at your doorstep one day. LOL

Chris

Don't say that too loud Charles. I pass thru the Carolina's when I visit my daughter in Georgia. You may just find a fat old man at your doorstep one day. LOL

Chris
Let me know when you're by this way, we will find something to get into... :emoji_wink:

Reactions: gmc2003
Nice, I have a bunch of racks from the last two sales on rib roasts. I wish the butchers here were as generous leaving that much meat on the ribs.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Nice, I have a bunch of racks from the last two sales on rib roasts. I wish the butchers here were as generous leaving that much meat on the ribs.
Thanks, Cliff. Publix sells so many when they're on sale, I'm sure they get in a hurry boning them out and that's when they leave so much meat on the bones...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky