Anyone cook Coulotte Steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
I was at Restaurant depot looking over some meat and the guy there recommend this, I never heard of it but he raved about it. At $4.00/lb is was worth a shot. It seems to be the top of the sirloin cut?

Anyone have experience on what to do with it? smoke, hot and fast other prep and cooking suggestions?

Thx Cliff

BTW this location always stocks trimmed Tri-tip @ $5 and change per pound, big bonus. Yeah I know you west coast guys keep saying it used to be $1.50/lb but I also remember when gas cost me $.99 gal too....lol

Reactions: ChuxPick and TNJAKE
Thanks for the link it was very helpful...I cut the cap off of these and steaked them at 1.5" thick. I think that commits me to grilling hot and fast for these. Now that I know they are on the top half of the sirloin and tri tip is on the bottom I want to do a side by side. Smoke both as roasts to 125 deg and reverse sear.

Reactions: jcam222
Found out about this cut last year. Hands down my favorite cut of beef. Cast Iron, hot and fast, cooked rare to med. Rare. Intense "beefy" Ness. Really flavorful. I think it may also be considered Picahna (if you ever have been to a Brazilian steakhouse.

Cheapest I've seen it is 9.99 lb. 4 is highway robbery!

Found out about this cut last year. Hands down my favorite cut of beef. Cast Iron, hot and fast, cooked rare to med. Rare. Intense "beefy" Ness. Really flavorful. I think it may also be considered Picahna (if you ever have been to a Brazilian steakhouse.

Between $4lb for the Picahna/Coulotte and $5.50/lb for the Tri-tip, I may never buy another cut of beef anymore. In that $4/lb price for the Coullotte you have to account for the very solid 1" thick fat cap. It probably works out to around $7/lb for the actual meat. Next time I buy it I will weigh out the fat just to figure it out.

There’s actually a thread in the forums on a Picahna cook

Between $4lb for the Picahna/Coulotte and $5.50/lb for the Tri-tip, I may never buy another cut of beef anymore. In that $4/lb price for the Coullotte you have to account for the very solid 1" thick fat cap. It probably works out to around $7/lb for the actual meat. Next time I buy it I will weigh out the fat just to figure it out.
The 9.99 lb was trimmed, no fat cap

Same thing as picahna, which you are familiar with from Brazilian steak houses, probably. Top sirloin (the coulotte) vs bottom (TT).

ETA: $4/lb is ridiculous. Would fill my freezer at that price.

Same thing as picahna, which you are familiar with from Brazilian steak houses, probably. Top sirloin (the coulotte) vs bottom (TT).

ETA: $4/lb is ridiculous. Would fill my freezer at that price.
going back today and grab another 2. This time I will trim cap off one of them and smoke to 110 deg. vac pack and sous vide at a later time to 125 then revers sear. The other I will slice with fat cap on and cook at a later time like the Brazilian steak houses do. I am also going to weigh the trimmed fat cap to get my real cost per lb of meat.

The Fat on a Culotte is very tasty, with a good sear. Unless you are disgusted by Fat, I would leave the fat cap on or at most, trim to 1/4". Now if I could only find them in my area. The groceries only carry the most common cuts of Beef and Pork...JJ

There’s actually a thread in the forums on a Picahna cook
jcam I did a post on Picanha
This was without a doubt one of the best steaks I ever had
Richie

The Fat on a Culotte is very tasty, with a good sear. Unless you are disgusted by Fat, I would leave the fat cap on or at most, trim to 1/4". Now if I could only find them in my area. The groceries only carry the most common cuts of Beef and Pork...JJ
I will do that on one of them.. I had never heard of this cut until one of the meat workers suggested it. Restaurant depot is a chain of warhouses that sells to restaurants and is not open to the public. They are "lenient" on membership (free) but you need to qualify for an account with some form of business ID. The meat area is about as big as most supermarkets but the amount you need to buy is large for the normal consumer. The Picanha and tri-tips are sold at minimum of 7 lbs per package. There meat is never frozen between the slaughterhouse and their store.

You may want to search for recipes calling for picanha ( Brazillian )it is a cut of beef called sirloin cap in the U.S. It is one of my favorite cuts of meat some what tender, great flavor.
It is hard to find here with the fat cap on, I will need to look at our local Restaurant Depot.

Reactions: noboundaries
That's a fine cut of beef. I'd do as Chef Jimmy suggested and trim the fat a bit. For me, I would sous vide and torch sear just like a ribeye or NY, that ain't soup meat. RAY

Reactions: clifish
A million years ago when I was a kid, my parents grilled Coulotte steaks all the time. I haven't had one in decades. I've never seen them locally in the chain markets. I'll have to ask about the sirloin cap. Thanks everyone for the info!

jcam I did a post on Picanha
This was without a doubt one of the best steaks I ever had
Richie

jcam222 jcam222 Thanks for the Like if you ever get a chance to cook one try it that way.
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky