24 Karat Tomahawk

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ringer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2019
Chickamauga, GA
I was reading SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan 's post earlier and it sparked an old memory. He asked me to post it up so here it is. BTW if you havent seen his latest thread on the birthday cook he did for his daughter then you need to go do that now. It was really amazing work. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/birthday-party-smoke-w-pics.315373/

About 2 years ago (time has flown by) my son had an odd birthday dinner request. We do this thing where we will either go out for a favorite birthday meal or I'll cook whatever they want. I assume most families do the same. This particular year stumped me.

See both of my boys are avid youtube watchers and they watch alot of these young rich bratty food snobs. My 11 year old at the time says "I want a golden tomahawk for my birthday dinner. Of course a million things flood my mind as to what this crazy kid has dreamed up but I played along. He showed me the videos and I said sure, lets replicate that. After all this steak was A5 Wagyu and cost upwards of $10,000 in the video he showed me. We did it for around ~150 ish.

Still expensive but not much more than feeding 2 teens and the family at a nice restaurant. The real bonus is I got to do it with him and that was totally worth it.

So I went to the local butcher and grabbed a ~5 lb tomahawk and waited on the mail lady to deliver the 30 sheets of 24k gold leaf from amazon. My aplolgies there are no cross section pics. It was done right though perfect rare to mid rare. Thanks for looking.

Here it is rubbed up with raw crushed garlic and my go to Angelo's steak pit seasoning (hand for size reference):

20201105_164733.jpg

Here it is seared up and rested before the gold application:

20201105_174102.jpg

Here she is in all her guilded glory:
20201105_174847.jpg

20201105_175216.jpg

Wow, that looks awesome. I considered doing that for memorial day, without the gold, and chickened out. That is one fine steak.

Reactions: Ringer
Wow, that looks awesome. I considered doing that for memorial day, without the gold, and chickened out. That is one fine steak.
Thanks, they are definitely worth the cost (we'll maybe not now...lol). Definitely fun and cool to do. Slice it up and leave the none semi attached for effect. Give it a shot if you can find one that isn't the cost of a small car.

Big points for letting the kids have their wishes! I made all my kids birthday cakes in any mold they wanted until they outgrew them. Took hours baking and dying all the butter cream using pastry bags and 50 different pastry tips.

Did the gold leaf add any taste or texture? sounds like a cool idea.

Big points for letting the kids have their wishes! I made all my kids birthday cakes in any mold they wanted until they outgrew them. Took hours baking and dying all the butter cream using pastry bags and 50 different pastry tips.

Did the gold leaf add any taste or texture? sounds like a cool idea.
Thanks! I've been there with the cakes too... many baking fails under my belt...lol

You know, I thought the gold leaf would impart some off flavor or texture but I noticed nothing at all. Great flavor and same texture. I guess it may be because gold is an inert metal but that's just me throwing random theories out there.

Reactions: clifish
How do you turn a glorious steak into something exponentially more glorious? Now I know.

You’re now the cool dad. Except, I think they use the word “sick” but that still sounds like sick to me so I’ll stick with cool.
Thanks Sven! I certainly hope they think that. I think I'm falling more into the "my dad makes me do stupid chores" role here lately.

I want my kids to experience the things that I wish I'd been able to do as a kid. I love taking an interest in what they do, no matter how funny it may seem. I still hate rap and skinny jeans though. I will not compromise there.

Thanks Sven! I certainly hope they think that. I think I'm falling more into the "my dad makes me do stupid chores" role here lately.

I want my kids to experience the things that I wish I'd been able to do as a kid. I love taking an interest in what they do, no matter how funny it may seem. I still hate rap and skinny jeans though. I will not compromise there.
Just wait, my kids are 23 (son) and 20 (daughter)......boys are sooooo much easier in a ton of ways.

Just wait, my kids are 23 (son) and 20 (daughter)......boys are sooooo much easier in a ton of ways.
Yes sir. My oldest (18) just moved away for his internship. He is coming back home tomorrow to visit. If he wasn't bringing a girl with him I'd have his butt tearing up the rotting deck...lol

I agree, our girl is 19 months and she is already more difficult!!

Yes sir. My oldest (18) just moved away for his internship. He is coming back home tomorrow to visit. If he wasn't bringing a girl with him I'd have his butt tearing up the rotting deck...lol

I agree, our girl is 19 months and she is already more difficult!!
That is a hell of a gap between them. My son now lives and teaches PE/Health in NH, daughter is in college in NC...waiting to see where she settles before we get the hell out of NY. I am thinking TN for a southern house, we already built a PA house in the mountains for north but who knows......

Reactions: TNJAKE and Ringer
That is a hell of a gap between them. My son now lives and teaches PE/Health in NH, daughter is in college in NC...waiting to see where she settles before we get the hell out of NY. I am thinking TN for a southern house, we already built a PA house in the mountains for north but who knows......
Tn is a good choice. I'm a native volunteer. I lived in the mountains surrounding chattanooga but I really like the rural areas around Nashville and knoxville. It's funny you should say that, we are looking at moving to Mississippi as our oldest is attending Mississippi state this fall. I may go back also. It could be my last shot at a career change. Oh how life changes...lol

Come on down to God's country. My wife is a pretty popular realtor if y'all need any help

Tn is a good choice. I'm a native volunteer. I lived in the mountains surrounding chattanooga but I really like the rural areas around Nashville and knoxville. It's funny you should say that, we are looking at moving to Mississippi as our oldest is attending Mississippi state this fall. I may go back also. It could be my last shot at a career change. Oh how life changes...lol
Hail State

yeah I might be needing a career change soon as well.

Wow! I’ve seen the gold leaf on a few random TV or YouTube shows. I think usually on cub cakes though. Nothing that looks as beautiful as yours though! That is a really cool cook…. I don’t know why, but I want to try it🤣 love Tomahawks, very tasty!

You’re a good father, big salute for going next level with your boys!

yeah I might be needing a career change soon as well.
I can certainly relate. I'm info sys (dB admin). When we took him to meet with his advisor he said the hire rate is 100% for building and construction superintendents. That made my wheels turn. The only part that might not be cool is traveling with the fan and uprooting them. Best of luck whatever you do though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky